Reservations
COMPLAINT: No reserved seats???

Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:52 AM

I really don't like flying AA because they have lost all interest in the customer - its all about the money now. Regardless, I am occasionally forced to fly AA since they are the only non-stop airline between my home in San Diego, to family in Dallas, TX. Sometimes I just don't have time for lay-overs, which always add at least 2 hours to the flight time. AA must know this since the ticket prices are stupid.

For Christmas, knowing time would be short, I booked my flight a month in advance. Price wasn't TOO bad, but the AA website wouldn't let me reserve a seat. I've checked back several times since and still can't choose my seat, so I contacted customer service (via email) and received the following reply:

"American Airlines withholds a percentage of seats until the day of departure.This allows our airport personnel to accommodate passenger needs on the day of departure."

Did they hold EVERY seat on the plane? Are they suggesting that every seat was booked 30 days in advance? Or, do I not fly enough to warrant a choice of seats? I suggest the latter, and won't bother flying AA again. A couple of additional hours in Houston won't be too bad.[/font]

Last edited by extex; Dec 22, 2010 at 2:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by extex View Post
"American Airlines withholds a percentage of seats until the day of departure.This allows our airport personnel to accommodate passenger needs on the day of departure."
[/font]
I have encountered this quite a bit with AA and notice that when you check-in (online - 24 hours before departure) many seats do open up for you to select.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:56 PM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

most (if not all) airlines hole a certain % of seats and what AA told you is the reason why. there may still not be seats open up because those seats are taken and flying this time of year most flights are completly full. check back 24 hours before you fly and check in online and you should be able to get a seat. your talking about booking a flight a month in advance...and while yes that is quite a time away for you and me, for the airlines a month in advance for holiday travel is not that long. when or if i travel for the holidays i book months in advance. like was stated earlier, check in online 24 hours prior to your departure or even check everyday, show up 2 hours early. flights are full this time of year.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:19 PM

It's quite possible, considering the time of year, that when you booked your flight, all of the seats that could be reserved, were already reserved. A month in advance isn't much during the holiday season.