General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

paying for check in bag and paying for reservation on the phone

Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:10 PM

People, I don't like how they charge you for just calling a human being on a phone to purchase a air fare ticket. For bags i understand, but sometimes the price is a little riduculous. But i know only one airlines that lets you check bags for free. Southwest Airlines.
What do you think about fares for bags?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:41 AM

On the one hand Skram I agree I don't see why I, or anyone else, has to pay to have an agent either by phone or on an airport book my ticket. But on the other hand why pay someone for something I can do myself for free right? As for the bags, ok I agree with the charging for the second bag, but the first is extreme. I say charge for the second bag only, on all flights international and domestic, and allow the first bag to go free.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:10 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

I believe the reason airlines charge for the phone and counter service is to encourage use of the internet site which saves everyone money. This leaves the lines open in case of delays or cancellations for distressed passengers.

As far as bag fees go, I agree with them because not everyone checks bags. I don't think it is fair for those who don't check bags to pay the same price as everyone else checking. It adds more weight restrictions to the flight.

In my opinion, I say it is a matter of time before Southwest's fuel hedging is not so profitable and they too will start charging bag fees. I give it 2 years.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:28 PM

silentbob, i agree with you, but i think should let 2 bags go free and have people pay at least $15 for the 3rd bag. If some airlines don't charge bags they should charge sports equitment such as golf cases, bikes, skis etc.
What do you think.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:27 PM
Banned

I will take slight issue with Airhead. In another thread on this site, I mentioned a recent trip on AA. We paid $30 for two bags. Fine. But...people were allowed onboard cramming everything they could into the overhead bins. What's the difference where the weight is..in the cargo hold, or in the overhead bin? Why not charge for carry-ons? Just a thought.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 4:52 PM

That is a very good question. The FAA actually regulates airlines on how weight will be calculated. We are told to count weight that is being checked, obviously. As far as the carry on, each passenger may carry on 1 bag (45 linear inches) and 1 personal item (ie. back pack 36 linear inches). On many aircrafts, however, only the personal item is allowed to be carried on while the other is "gate checked". If it is not in the cabin, then it is still counted as weight. Anyone carrying on more than this is in violation of FAA regulation and the airline may receive a fine for such violation.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:30 PM
Banned

Aha! Maybe time for the bureaucrats to travel in coach. LOL.
I also agree with Silent Bob...let the first bag go free and charge for the second. Leave the weight restriction in place so people don't try to cram everything in the one bag.
When I travel from our local airport and connect either in DFW (AA) or IAH (CO), I'm usually given a tag to put on my carry-on and give it to an agent at the end of the jetway. I get it immediately after I leave the aircraft. Not a problem since it's a short hop.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:57 PM

Same here countrynewsman, I mean even before the bag charges took effect I almost always carry-on and gate check my bag, but now many airlines will start to charge if a bag is gate checked? So now I have to measure my bag any and every time i need to make a trip? That first bag charge needs to be eliminated, seriously. I understand the rise in the cost of fuel, but there are other outlets the airlines aren't looking into that should be considered such as charging a 2nd bag on international flights, increase the excess bag/ overweight bag charge amount. I don't wanna be penalized my first (and usually only bag) because someone wants to bring more than allotted. And i know this is gonna make a lot of frequent travelers mad, it upset me at first, but then it makes sense: no more complimentary upgrades to first class for elites, but we should use our points plus a small fee to upgrade. After I nearly bopped my coworker unconcious, I sat and thought about it, I'm sittin on some serious miles, we're talking 6 digits here and I hardly use them, why not use them for upgrades? I think its great that some airlines allow elites to upgrade for free based on availability, but what the hell, we can just as easy use the miles to confirm a seat in first rather than wait and HOPE to get a seat. Makes sense to me.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 1:18 PM
US Department of Transportation Employee

Originally Posted by airhead View Post
That is a very good question. The FAA actually regulates airlines on how weight will be calculated. We are told to count weight that is being checked, obviously. As far as the carry on, each passenger may carry on 1 bag (45 linear inches) and 1 personal item (ie. back pack 36 linear inches). On many aircrafts, however, only the personal item is allowed to be carried on while the other is "gate checked". If it is not in the cabin, then it is still counted as weight. Anyone carrying on more than this is in violation of FAA regulation and the airline may receive a fine for such violation.
FAA regulations only state that all carryon bags must able to be securly stowed either in the overhead bins or under the seats. The Regs do not state that passengers are only entitled to x number of carry-ons. Those are carrier controlled policies.

That is, unless the FAA changed the regs and did not notify my office.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:34 PM

abutterfield: airhead was just saying that the FAA regulates how the weights and balance is calculated, not how much they allow.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:35 AM

AA only allows that small 36 inch "personal item" onboard technically speaking. It is also only allowed to weigh up to 40 lbs.