Tools...

Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:15 AM

Default what rights do i have if at all

I was supposed to be taking a flight with AA from JFK to DOM, while making a connection in SJU.

The flight from JFK was supposed to leave at 6.55 but there was mechanical trouble until 10. At which point we were ready to take off but ran out of fuel. so we took off at 11.

We reached SJU at 1.45. My connection from SJU to DOM was at 2. But we had to wait almost 15 minutes to get a gate. Flight #2 to DOM had left by the time we got off flight #1. 14 of us missed the flight.

When speaking with the counter, they said there were no open flight until thursday. This flight was today... Saturday. I'm enrolled in medical school that begins on monday. if i dont check in by wednesday I'm unenrolled from the semester. There are multiple problems including 2 extra years of loans on 200k USD.

Also at the counter originally refused to find me accomodation because the rooms they had for us were used up at the hotel. i then spoke with the hotel and they informed us there were open rooms. After much arguing, they finally gave me a room.

Now I'm on standby for tomorrow but the flights are booked. actually i believe they are over booked. So i'm not sure what my options or rights are as I need to get to Dominica (not Dominican republic).

I'm sure that having me wait for 4+ days on stand-by can't be right. They can only guarantee me a flight for thursday.

Sorry about the rant.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:07 PM

If there are flights on other airlines to your destination, AA is required (per their contract of carriage) to accommodate you on another airline. You might have to insist, but don't let them say no. It's possible you would have to fly back to Miami to connect, but it's AA's obligation to get you to your destination if the delay was not related to weather.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:41 PM

As a note, flying to Dom is very limited. It is one of the smallest airports in the world with limited night landing.

AA has come up with a solution and some how added an additional flight to it's roster which will accommodate all 14 of us. We fly out today at 2.

More options...