COMPLAINT: Spirit Airlines is the WORST!!!!

Old May 13, 2013, 6:45 PM
eetzler eetzler is offline

Join Date: May 2013

Our flight was supposed to leave Denver on May 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM for Las Vegas. We boarded the plan about 40 minutes late, then we were told that they had hydralic problems and we had to go back to the terminal for repairs that would take 2-3 hours. After 4 hours, we were told that it would that we would have an update at 5:00 PM. At that time they told us the plane was not ready, and they would update us again.We were trying to get someone on the phone on Customer Service, but they were rude, unhelpful and kept hanging up on us.

Around 6:00 PM we were told that the plane was ready to board, again!. At the same time, I also noticed that another Spirit flight at the next gate was scheduled to leave at 6:40 PM for Las Vegas. They told us to board our flight, but then we sat there for about 25 minutes, then we went out to the tarmac, did a circle, and stopped. We sat there for another 10 minutes, and then the captain came on and told us that the brake light was on and they had to call the mechanics. Another 10 minutes went by, then they told us we had to go back to the terminal. As we were going back to the terminal, the other Spirit flight had been boarded and passed us on the other runway. I feel that they deliberately boarded us on the plane to get us out of the way so we would not complain any further about the delay. We got back to the terminal and were told it would now be 8:30 PM before we took off.
At 7:30, an announcement came on that they were ready to board the flight for the THIRD TIME!!!!. Once again, we boarded, and went out to the tarmac, circle around, and stop at the same spot again. Sure enough, we were told that they continued to have brake problems. We had to go back to the terminal. Once we arrived there, they told us the flight was cancelled. We were never offered anything to eat or drink, not even water, nor food vouchers, the ENTIRE DAY!!!! The staff was not only rude, they were indifferent, intimidating and threatening us to be quiet, not cause trouble, and "we better not be recording anything".

We had to stand in line for over 3 hours to try to get on another airline (which they had never offered to do prior to this), or a refund. Since we did not want to take anymore chances with this airline, including getting stranded in another city, we took the refund, which won't be posted for 7-10 business days. All told, we spent more than 15 hours at the airport, wasted a vacation day, had to pay for parking, had to pay for a hotel room that we did not use, wasted close to $300, and never received as much as an apology. There were several people who were going to get married, and their arrangements were ruined. There were others who were going for a wedding, had made suite reservations, spa reservations, expensive non-refundable show tickets, etc, etc. that they would not get back. More than one passenger booked on other airlines themselves so that they would not have to fly this airline. The average ticket price that I was hearing was $1,000.

I have not even mentioned the charges for everything, the bait and switch fees, the cramped seating. This is the WORST AIRLINE I HAVE EVER HAD THE MISERY TO EXPERIENCE. They did send me an email today apologizing, and offering two $50 vouchers for airline tickets that have to0 be used by July. Like we would actually fly them EVER AGAIN!!!

I have filed a complaint with the Federal Aviation Administration.

Old May 13, 2013, 11:29 PM

Does anyone ever read? I live on another continent and I have heard the horror stories about Spirit. This is not an airline for people with plans which are time sensitive. They make it clear that they will not do anything for you in the event of a problem. It is essentially for students and back packers. Why anyone else would use this airline mystifies me.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:12 AM
eetzler eetzler is offline

Join Date: May 2013

No I guess I was too trusting...stupid me...
Old May 14, 2013, 8:50 PM
Судите Судите is offline

Join Date: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by eetzler View Post
I have filed a complaint with the Federal Aviation Administration.
Why? The FAA regulates aviation safety, they will be pleased that Spirit did not fly with a hydraulic issue. All the rest of your complaint falls outside their area of enforcement. You may as well complain to Santa Claus.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:57 AM
Burgers Burgers is offline

Join Date: May 2013

You've learned the high cost of cheap....

In this business like many others everyone has essentially the same capital costs - aircraft, fuel, maintenance all cost about the same. Wages, and in this case customer service is what you don't get.
Life lesson number 1. Nothing is free.

customer service, spirit airlines

Customer Service Spirit Airlines: Worst COMPANY Ever uadmilda Spirit Airlines Complaints 13 Nov 17, 2013 10:08 AM
Customer Service worst airline spirit quetip Spirit Airlines Complaints 1 Apr 14, 2012 7:09 AM
Baggage Problems Spirit The Worst Airline!! sandra jimenez Spirit Airlines Complaints 0 Jul 6, 2011 4:53 PM
Check-in / Boarding Spirit is the worst airline sandysofia0982 Spirit Airlines Complaints 0 May 6, 2011 5:54 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Spirit Airline is the worst. flyingsucks Spirit Airlines Complaints 9 Aug 7, 2009 1:28 PM