COMPLAINT: Jetstar excess baggage ripoff

Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:50 AM
yublocka yublocka is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

In October I flew on Jetstar from Cairns->Darwin->Bali. At Cairns airport was charged international excess baggage fee of $60 for being 3kg over limit. Immediately on arrival at Darwin bags were reweighed and weight was 2kg different to that in Cairns - so I was overcharged $50 in excess baggage fees. The Jetstar staff member told me this commonly happens at Cairns to both herself personally and to other passesngers and that if I called the call centre on my return they would refund the difference. I took a photo of the bag weight in Darwin to prove this.

I lodged this as an incident on the Jetstar customer complaints website on 30 Oct. After never hearing back I called the Jetstar Call Centre 3 times over the following months, each time being promised a superviser would call me back as the call centre staff I talked to couldn't help me. Finally I got called by a superviser for the first time January 14th (over 2 months since lodging the incident) who said they are unable to refund this fee even though they know I overpaid since they have the bag weights listed in their computer system. How is it fair that a company knows they have overcharged consumers are yet are "unable" to refund the price difference? That is unethical and just plain ridiculous.

Never again flying jetstar!!!

Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:01 AM

If they put that into writing, you could take that to court. Under no circumstances would that be legitimate. In Europe, you could request a copy of that phone call under Data Protection rules. If the same right exists in Oz, I would certainly request it. If you get proof that they have admitted to overcharging you, knowing the weights, you should sue. They will back down in a skinny minute.

Swiss Air - Exorbitant excess baggage fees. sagebrush23 Swiss Air Complaints 11 Aug 25, 2010 8:33 AM
Baggage Problems AirTran Airways - baggage ripoff! RicMic Baggage Problems 5 May 15, 2009 11:45 PM
Baggage Problems Bagage Size Ripoff noodles76 Baggage Problems 8 Apr 10, 2009 2:11 AM
Flybe - Outrageous Excess Baggage Fee eamc Other Airline Complaints 0 May 26, 2008 3:27 PM