Reservations
COMPLAINT: Etihad - surname change on a non-refundable ticket

Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:18 AM

Hello,
My friend booked a non-refundable ticket for his family and myself from NewYork to Delhi in Etihad airlines on 25th Aug 2011.
We booked the tickets through an agency - MakeMyTrip.com (Travel Dates: Onward - 11th December 2011; Return - 5th January 2012).

While booking, we made a surname mistake in my name.
I've been calling both the airlines hotline and the agency's hotline for almost 2 weeks to resolve this issue over the phone, but in vain.
Both the customer care keep stating that the ticket has to be cancelled and the money will not be refunded.
I was dreading the loss, until I saw threads in this forum where the airline personnel have actually resolved the issue and smoothly too.
I am so happy to find positive results here.
I totally understand that the mistake is mine on the incorrect surname - no excuses. I am more than willing to pay small penalties.

I'm hoping that someone from Etihad airlines would notice this issue and resolve it for me without a cancellation

Any help is appreciated.

Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:10 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline

Hi Cyril,

I have the same problem when I booked on the internet yesterday. I got the tickets issued with only the first four letters of my surname "BENN" insread of the full surname "BENNETT". I called the call centre in Abu Dhabi and was told I cannot change and need to cancel the ticket. However, I booked with my girlfriend so our ticket cost is about 2000 and I am not willing wo sacrifice so much money, over what should be a minor problem. I am travelling in 3 weeks and desperate for a solution so we can both take the same flight. This is my first experience with Etihad. I too am willing to pay an administration charge if needed. I understand that my ticket can not be cancelled without losing the fee, but they don't seem to understand that I don't want to cancel my ticket, I want to fly with them!

I called back again and was told to send an email with my passport scan and an explaination to the call centre and they would change but I've not had a response from them yet.

If you get any positive feedback I hope you can share the experience with me.

All the best,
Kevin
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:19 AM

Hi Kevin,

Sent you a message.

Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:48 AM

Dear Gentlemen.

Thank you for your posts. I have been advised that as of 01NOV 2011, all Etihad Airways offices are able to reissue tickets for name correction requests any time prior to departure of your outbound sector with a charge of USD75 or equivalent plus the Global Service Fee (if applicable).

The request must be for the same guest on the ticket and a passport copy is mandatory for all cases.

I hope this helps!

Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:19 AM
Kevin Kevin is offline

Hi Cazzi,

I have sent you a couple of private messages this morning. When I called the Etihad call centre yesterday they told me I couldnt do a name change and had to cancel the ticket.

Kevin
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:59 AM

Dear Kevin,

I have double checked as you made me doubt myself! ... It certainly is possible, and if you would like to contact your nearest Etihad Sales office, or Call Centre, they will be able to faciltate this for you.

Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:50 PM

Hi Cazzi,
I spoke to the Sales representative/Call center folks at Etihad airlines and they mentioned that it is possible only if we booked the tickets directly with Etihad airlines, not if we booked through an agency (eg: MakeMyTrip.com in my case).
They are insisting that I contact MakeMYTrip.com and ask them to reach out to Etihad airlines.

But, when I tried that, the agency folks were told by the Etihad support personnel that the ticket is nonrefundable and so no re-issuance is permitted and the only way is to cancel the ticket - without REFUNDS .

I am very sure that this is a miscommunication or ignorance of the policy by the folks at the call center.

I have tried it twice now.
Here are the blockades preventing easy resolution.
1 Non refundable ticket
2. Booked through an agency (MakeMyTrip.com)

I would go and try a few more times if I had the time. But I do not have that luxury now with only days left for my travel.

I am again seeking your assistance for resolving this issue.

Thanks again,
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:23 PM

Cazzi,

I called them again today and I am getting the same reply that they cannot make the change for agency initiated request.

I find it ridiculous at the reasoning of this denial.

They do not entertain me talking to them and insist that only agency guys should talk to them. And if the agency guys did, they simply deny that the changes cannot be made.

This cycle is going nowhere and I am being thrown around in all the calls and contact that I make.

I have spent hours now in trying to get a name change done.

I believe that you are going to be my only hope at this point.

I am travelling this weekend and I'm afraid that the airlines will not make any changes after Friday.

Please help me.!!

Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:40 AM

Dear Cyril,

I understand your frustration.

Please check your direct messages.

Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:35 PM

Hi Cazzi,

Thanks a TON for your responses and prompt work. The name change was done and I was able to fly without any hiccups.
The Customer care called me and made the changes with a penalty/ change fee of $130. I was very happy and relieved.

You are a gem. I wish there were more like you in Etihad Airways to make things easier.

Will write back once I complete my journey on 5th Jan 2012.

Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:22 AM

This is an excellent example of an airline employee proactively working to resolve the problems faced by travellers. It says a lot that it is an airline based in the Middle East.... Asian and Middle Eastern based airlines are growing rapidly... I wonder why?
Old May 15, 2012, 8:33 AM
NicolettaP NicolettaP is offline

Join Date: May 2012

Hi Cyril and Cazzi,

I have the exact problem Cyril had with Ethiad: I have booked my flight with a "travel agent" (i.e. lastminute.com) and reserved by mistake with the information entered in the form by Chrom auto-fill feature. As a result, my name appears to be:
emailaddress/NameSurname

Now, I have called the Italian call center of both Ethiad and lastminute, but they keep bouncing me to the other and telling me that no name change is possible. As Cyril said, I am more than willing to pay a reasonable fee, but I refuse to cancel my ticket without any refund!

Could you please tell me how you managed to change your name?

Thanks a lot,
Nicoletta
Old May 16, 2012, 6:08 AM

Dear Nicoletta,

Please could you DM me your flight details and personal details, and we can look into this for you. Though I cannot guarantee that I am able to help, I will certainly try.

Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:44 PM

Hi Cazzi,

I have just sent you a DM regarding my problem. My issue is very similar to Nicoletta's above.

My situation is very desperate and am hoping you will be able to resolve.

Thanks again,
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:59 PM

I have heard so many horror stories about Chrome Autofill. I would strongly advise anyone to not use this feature... it is a nightmare!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:55 AM

Hi Alex,

I have recieved your DM, and will try my best to assist you.

One of our team will be in contact shortly.

Cazzi
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:46 AM

Hi Cazzi,

I have left you a DM regarding my personal contact details.

Thanks so much!

Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:58 AM

Hi Cazzi,

Sorry about all the messages, but I still havent received contact from colleague and my agent is not making any real progress. My flight is urgently approaching.

This flight is really important to me and my family, and I cannot afford to make another booking.

You really are the only person that could change this, I don't know where else to go...

My contact details are: [email protected] +447923322569

Please do reply and thanks so much in advance!

Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
Mustaa Mustaa is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012

Hi Cazzi,

I booked my ticket from Dublin, Ireland to Mumbai, India through Etihad site and have unfortunately not given my surname in the booking although my passport has a surname on it.
Name on booking is Mustaa Ali but name on passport is Mustaa Ali Hussain

I contacted the Etihad office here in Dublin to get the surname added in my ticket but after much discussion was told that they can only change 3 letters in my name and nothing more than that. The only way out according to them is to cancel the ticket, which is non-refundable and then rebook

Can you please help me out here as I'm not willing to lose the whole ticket amount just because of a surname addition.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:54 AM

Dear Sir,

Please could you DM me your booking reference and flight details, and I can get someone to look into this for you.

I am unable to reply to your DM, however please be assured that this will be investigated.

Thank you.

CazziB
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:34 PM
Mustaa Mustaa is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012

Hi Cazzi,

I have sent you a DM now with all the necessary information.

Thanks again for looking into this!
Mustaa
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:56 AM
furqan furqan is offline

Join Date: Jan 2013

Hi , I am new to this site. I booked my ticket with etihad few days back and by mistake in my first name i entered

FRUQAN instead of FURQAN. Ever thing else on the passport and ticket is same. It's just a letter misplacement.

I called etihaad to get it change but they are asking for 75$. What should i do ? Is there any way to get it change with getting a letter from airport which states my orignal name on that letter . They both can be read as
"F Sheikh(last name)". Any advice please as i need to fly in few days. Many Thanks.

Furqan
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:07 PM
BenCarson BenCarson is offline

Originally Posted by furqan View Post

Furqan
I have the same problem with my first name "BENJAMINE" instead of "BENJAMIN", Any help would be great as I leave tomorrow morning, thank you
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:36 PM
DewaldFerreira DewaldFerreira is offline

Hi Cazzi B

I have sent you a direct message with the same issue. My flights are on 12 March (7 days from now).

I really hope to have a pleasant experience with Etihad and am more than willing to pay a reasonable penalty fee. However, numerous phone call to your call centre have delivered no results. Suggestions have ranged from "cancel the tickets and purchase new ones" to "just send the passports and we can sort it out" with no subsequent feedback.

I am very relieved with the replies and solutions you have posted on this thread and the many happy Etihad travellers. I realise this is my mistake and will do everything in my power to correct this. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I will also DM you my contact details and booking reference.

Kind regards
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:38 PM
achubaiah achubaiah is offline

Hi Cazzi,

I have a similar problem. My surname is Vasudevan Chandrika but in the ticket I currently have only Vasudevan.
Can you please let me know if I can add Chandrika to my surname

Thanks,
Aswathy

Reservations Surname change on Etihad non- refundable ticket leanne75 Etihad Airways Complaints 19 Oct 30, 2014 8:49 PM
Reservations Etihad name on ticket Afmitha Etihad Airways Complaints 2 Nov 20, 2011 2:42 PM
Check-in / Boarding Surname change on non refundable, Ticket in Maiden name, Passport in Married name!?! lucymason Check-in / Boarding 0 Aug 18, 2011 11:20 AM
Customer Service Continental Refused to Refund a Fully Refundable Ticket mquamar Customer Service 10 May 9, 2010 9:04 PM
Customer Service Incompetent staff refused to refund fully-refundable ticket barbourJ United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 17, 2007 4:29 AM