COMPLAINT: Alitalia - terrible, short-sighted attitude - AVOID

Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:48 AM
dand99 dand99 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2013

I booked a TLV-FCO-GOA return with Alitalia (via Orbitz).

On the return leg, I couldn't make the airport on time as a fire had closed down the main artery into Genoa - all traffic coming into Genoa from the west was gridlocked for 4 hours.

I called both Orbitz and Alitalia en route. On arriving at the counter the GAs (I think they were airport GAs manning the Alitalia desk, not Alitalia) told me they'd see what they could do - and some time later told me they had spoken with the Alitalia station manager and could do nothing for me - I was a no show, the ticket was dead and I would have to buy a new ticket.

I called Orbitz, who to their credit did try to go higher up the Alitalia ladder - with no results.

By the letter of the law, Alitalia is right. My ticket was a non-refundable, non-everything fare. HOWEVER these were exceptional circumstances - I did not get up late, or have a flat tire. Genoa airport was for all purposes unreachable from anywhere west for four hours - many people missed their flights.

I would have expected some consideration here - but instead Alitalia chose the short-sighted approach. No, I will not buy a new Alitalia one-way for $900. Zero for customer service. Congratulations Alitalia, I will NEVER board an Alitalia flight again.

D.

Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:10 AM
dand99 dand99 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2013

I have emailed Alitalia customer service with details of what happened, am waiting to hear back from them.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:47 PM
Diego35 Diego35 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2014

Hello, We flew into Paris and prepared to board our flight to Rome aboard Al
italia. As we boarded the Alitalia flight we could see our luggage sitting outside of the plane waiting to be loaded. When we landed in Rome we were shocked not to find our bags especially because we saw them outside of the cargo door! Customer service in Alitalia was not able to give us any answer. We traveled from Rome to positano with the shirts on our backs. We had to purchase I heart positano t shirts and shorts swim wear. Our luggage didn't arrive for 4 days and when it did one bag was completely destroyed. We were not alone, there were others in positano with the same issues with this horrible airline. Our once in a lifetime family vacation was severely dampened and this airline is at fault. We are now three months later still trying to get some compensation. This airline is awful with customer service and baggage handling, our only solis is that it seems to happen to everyone who has taken flights with this despicable airline. Thank you for providing an opportunity to vent and for speaking out against this company.

Ryan

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Short Notice for Cancellation marchamona British Airways Complaints 2 Oct 26, 2012 9:35 PM
Terrible Alitalia Carrie towers Alitalia Complaints 0 Jan 21, 2012 7:33 PM
Air Tahiti Really Terrible avoid if you can [email protected] Other Airline Complaints 0 Nov 10, 2011 11:26 AM
Customer Service A good short story. Leroy721 American Airlines Complaints 2 Jan 27, 2011 10:56 AM