Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:32 PM
ditze ditze is offline

Angry Never go with AA anymore!!!!!!!

I just booked my flight tickets on AA for my last trip to Houston, this is my experience:
December 13th, in the late evening, I tried to book the reservation, but I needed to talk on the phone with my friend, then after I finished all steps, and hit the submit button, it said the process failed because the session has been too long time, then i DID another reservation very quick, but I could not find the right schedule anymore, I thought might because the date was 14th, Dec, very earling in the morning, So I quited very quickly, even did not go through the last step to confirm, did not hit the damn submit yet, I thought I did not book any AA's reservation, I went to sleep, in the early morning 14th, Dec, I checked my Email, I found two different confirmations of reservation lied in my Email address, then I checked my Credit card, they charged two times, then I called AA agent, cancled one, then today, I checked my credit card, I found they charged 16.50 dollars for my cancelation fee. Rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!
Stupid website, and stupid policy, never go with AA anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:04 AM

Location: Killeen, Texas

Maybe you should have paid attention to what you were doing on the computer instead of talking to your friend. Sorry...your fault.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:19 AM

Talking Lol

lOL

I paid very good attention to booking the reservation. I did not do anything when I talked on phone, and also, I was not talking so long time on phone, just discuss the date, and time for arrivals.

Even if it was my fault to book wrong reservation, but the website told me that my reservations failed. Yes, English is not my native language, and I am not an English-Speaking person, but for my knowledge, and understanding, "Falied" that meant I should not be able to get any confirmations.

Ok, Might it was my English Problem too. LOL

The big problem is, I have traveled in USA, and out USA with other airlines many times each year in last 4 years, I booked flight tickets many many many times a year on website, never had this kind of problem.

Last edited by ditze; Dec 23, 2008 at 4:23 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:26 AM

Location: Killeen, Texas

Perhaps you could try phoning AA again and explain what happened and that you feel the $16.50 is inappropriate. Since you have made reservations, I would think AA would understand and get rid of that charge.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:06 AM
airhead airhead is offline

I would dispute that with the credit card company and tell them it is fraud. Then I would write the airline describing the incident. Perhaps the airline is not aware of the website problem. If they are, then it is illegal. Fight it! good luck to you.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:26 PM

Default Thanks

Hi, Thanks, Guys, Thanks all for your kind suggestions.
I called AA, and explained very clearly to a very nice agent next morning immediately when I found I got two reservations, and they still charged 16.50 dollars, I think the money is not a big amount, just not feel good.

Anyway, it is Chrismas time, do not want to make myself unhappy to fight with it, don't want to ruin my happiness

Merry Christmas to your guys!!!, Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:45 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

I still don't understand where this $16.50 is coming from. If it were a fee to change or cancel the reservation it would have been a round figure like 50.00, 75.00, 100.00. This sounds to me like taxes or fuel surcharge or some other component of the ticket other than the base fare. If they are refunding the ticket this should also be refunded. AA may catch this when it goes to their accounting system but if the $16.50 remains on your credit card you should definitely call the credit card issuer and dispute the charge.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:18 AM
ditze ditze is offline

Default I can not understand either

I guess they do this jus for MAKING money... just kidding
they charged me 258.50 dollars two times almost same time, and refund 242 dollars.
This is definately not my fault. I guess any normal human being sees it is failed booking a reservation, of couse they will think they will not be the reservation, and no charges, but..... .... this is abnormal AA, anyways, I did not want ruin my holidays, and 16.50 dollars not such big deal, just feel not good, and never go with AA anymore, unless all other ailrlines will be shut down the business. I guess AA will fall down first if they keep operating like this way!!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:35 PM

Default Got the Credit back

Filed a dispute on AmericanExpress website
Got the credit back
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:35 PM

Location: Killeen, Texas

Another consumer has won! Good going!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:31 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009
Default $16.50? Try $150!

I had to cancel my flight today (to be rescheduled at a later time) and was told that the fee for doing so is $150. This is an outrage. The total cost of the ticket was $270 and they're charging me MORE THAN HALF that amount to change my flight. I fly with several other airlines and have never encountered such a GREEDY fee for changing a reservation. The AA agent explained that the ticket I purchased is non-refundable and that the $150 fee is right there in the small print. I asked her to think for a moment about whether or not she reads the small print for every product and service she pays for, because if she did, she'd never have time to leave the house; "Privacy Policy Change" letters from companies that arrive in the mail are, alone, enough to keep one busy for an eternity. Aside from that, the fact that something is "in the small print" doesn't make it right, reasonable, or fair; it just legalizes the extortion.

I've changed reservations for non-refundable tickets through Southwest Airlines before and the fee was nowhere near this amount. Now I remember why I don't fly AA.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:34 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by scott93933 View Post

$150 is pretty much the "industry standard" to change a non-refundable ticket. Southwest doesn't charge a change fee, but it does charge the difference in fare if it increases.

As for the "small print" did you purchase your ticket on AA.com? If so, you would have been advised of the following:

I accept the fare rules associated with this ticket. Any changes to this ticket may result in additional fees.

Yes, it is actually in red lettering - that's not my addition. To proceed further with the purchase transaction you are agreeing to those rules even if you didn't take the time to click on the link to read them. It's not AA's fault you neglected to do this.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:08 AM

Join Date: Jan 2009

PHXFlyer: You neglected to take the time to read and understand my post. Try again.

The point is not whether the rule exists in the fine print (regardless of font, color, or style). It's whether the rule is FAIR and REASONABLE. In this case, most reasonable people would agree that a 50%+ penalty for changing a flight is NOT reasonable.

The purpose of my post is to warn people that if they choose to fly with American, they should be aware of this nasty rule. Your attempting to blame me for their nasty rule is counter productive and is just making me mad and making you look like someone who's trying to play traffic cop. I don't need your judgment and I didn't ask for it. Kindly keep it to yourself. My story stands as a warning to others about American Airlines rather than an opportunity for you to refer to the wronged party as neglectful. Nobody elected you judge and jury so if you don't have anything constructive to add, kindly butt out.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:45 AM

I elected myself judge, thus my board name. I agree whole heartedly with PHXFlyer. If you don't wanna take responsibility for understanding the contract you entered into, that's fine but don't come back and say the rule is unfair. If you feel it's unfair, fly another airline that suits you. You failed to read the change fee policies and now you got stung. Som num na.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:28 PM

I am a little unclear what PHX and the Judge think is the purpose of an "airline complaints" forum. If a customer of an airline wishes to post something which states that fares or penalties are too high or don't represent value, why is this not an appropriate place to post them? It is an airline complaints forum! In this case, whilst I agree that Scott has no complaint about the fact that he entered into a contract in which the terms are made clear, I see no reason why he shouldn't argue that the fee charged is unreasonable. Furthermore, as the airlines have created monopolies in order to inhibit the normal competitive pressures of the market, challenging abusive pricing by monopolies is the only way in which unfair contract terms can be changed. That is why the forum was set up.

I am mystified why you would object to that.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 6:43 PM

Location: Killeen, Texas

I must agree with Jim...Scott really has no complaint since those fees are an industry standard, but that doesn't make it right. With all those damned monopolies and alliances, we travellers are at the mercy of the carriers and they seem to be able to charge whatever they want.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 3:25 AM

Jim and Newsman.........The OP has no complaint here because he agreed to the terms of the ticket buy buying it. It seems he did not read what the terms were and is now complaining about it. That is my point. The change fee may very well be unfair but what I am saying is don't complain about it if you didn't read and understand what happens when you change your ticket.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 8:59 AM

Join Date: Jan 2009

Yes, finally! Someone gets it. I realize that in a court of law, I'd have no basis for a refund. That's NOT the point of my post. The point is that the $150 is not fair. Whether I read the fine print or not, $150 is just plain unreasonable. And it is NOT the industry standard. Southwest Airlines allows customers to apply the full amount of their canceled non-refundable ticket toward another flight, subject to any fare increases. I typically do fly Southwest for flights within California. But for a cross country flight, I've always gone with American or United. No more. It's Southwest all the way for me, baby! :^)
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:12 PM

Location: Killeen, Texas

Scott...I stand corrected. I do remember changing a Southwest flight some time ago and not being charged. Unfortunately, however, I think they're the only ones that will allow the change without some sort of extortion....unless I missed another good carrier. I understand the non-refundable fare. When we need to change flights, however, we are not asking for a refund. We are asking to occupy another, otherwise, empty seat. And...when I do that, it is ONLINE...not over the phone. If I show at the airport a few hours ahead of time and note an earlier flight is leaving, why not allow me to occupy the empty seat. Once the cabin door closes, that seat is a perishable product.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:00 PM

Default Hey Judge and PHXFlyer

Back to your jobs at the airlines...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:30 AM

Hey Scotty.....I'm long gone from the airline I worked for if you'll notice the 'Former Airline Employee" title I have. Just calling it the way it is.

Also, this thread is well over a year old. History, as they say.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:41 PM

Default Banned

I love it that PHXFlyer (or however you spell his name) was banned as an airline sympathizer. Those of you who blindly agreed with him and staunchly defend unfair airline practices such as a $150 fee for changing a flight (whether or not the customer agreed to it by purchasing a ticket), may soon have to find a new hobby other than trying to deflect reasonable customer complaints on an airline complaints forum.

As a follow-up, I now book nearly all of my flights with Southwest Airlines and I'm quite happy with their "no charge for checked baggage" and "no fees for changing your flight" policies.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 6:13 PM
Slimmy Slimmy is offline

Join Date: Nov 2011

i Totally understand your frustration , trust me over the past years AA was my favorite airlines i would travel with but now im seeing drastic changes within their policies and high prices i just don't understand whats going on lately , also their ticket prices are high and gas prices aren't that high for the tickets to be raised through the roof