COMPLAINT: Broke EUR Regulation/Flt #0113

Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:34 AM
Miff Miff is offline

Join Date: Jan 2013

I have been unable to resolve a complaint with American Airlines since November 4, 2012. Our flight from Barcelona to Miami Flight # 0113 was cancelled on October 28th due to mechanical problems. American did not reschedule us a flight out of Barcelona until 5 days later!
I filled out one of their internet forms on November 4th and got a reply on November 14th saying they were crediting my husband and I each 20,000 miles. I wrote back and told them this was unacceptable and did not agree to it. I wrote again on December 12th citing EU Regulation 261/2004. They did not respond to this so after New Year I spent hours on the phone trying to find someone to talk to at American Airlines. I finally got through to someone in the United States that said they would have someone from the European office contact me. No one from the European office has contacted me in the past week.
I missed a week's worth of pay from work, 5 extra days of petsitting and we had other out of pocket expenses in Barcelona (all sent to American) other than the hotel and feel they owe us the maximum amount of money the regulation allows.

Last edited by Miff; Jan 14, 2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: did not finish

Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 PM

US airlines are not exempt from this regulation, despite their best efforts to pretend that they are. Write to the following agency:

Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea.
División de Calidad y Protección al Usuario.
Avda. General Perón 40, Acceso B, (Recepción planta 1a)
28020 MADRID

Tel.: + 34 91 396 82 10

You can write in English. As the flight originated in Barcelona, they are the competent authority.

There is a standard form you can use to file your complaint. It is available here..

Send a copy to AA so they know you are pursuing the complaint. They may reply claiming extraordinary circumstances. If they do, insist they tell you what these are, so you can challenge them. Mechanical breakdowns are NOT routinely regarded as extraordinary circumstances.

Any experience with European Union (EC) Regulation 261/2004 claims? Jakob Tips 19 Sep 14, 2011 9:24 PM
In-flight Issue Flight attendant broke my netbook mcav British Airways Complaints 4 Sep 27, 2010 4:22 PM
Baggage Problems Delta broke Golf Clubs tigerlilly Delta Air Lines Complaints 4 Apr 5, 2009 11:38 AM
De-regulation has failed jimworcs General Discussion 15 Mar 1, 2009 1:39 AM