General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

Airline Fares

Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:49 PM
martinpc martinpc is offline

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alicante Spain

Hi,if you get in a road taxi today it will be the same price everday,if you get on a public bus the same will apply,does not matter what day it is.Can anyone explain to me why it seems all airlines have a price for every day of the week,for us from ALC to PMI,from 50e to 150e?????What is the difference day by day?We are so sick of the way airlines treat us we are looking at ferry crossing from Denia to Palma,if to expensive we can always SWIM,or not go at all.PS,my battle with Air Berlin is ongoing,still refusing to respond to my charge of internet THEFT.

Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:17 PM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by martinpc View Post
Seats are sold/bought on a demand/supply matrix. the more demand especially on weekends the higher the fare the less demand the cheaper the fare. Keep in mind that many business travelers are going to buy a higher priced ticket that allows for more flexibility to come and go more frequently without change fees or differences in the air fare. Most airlines
keep ticket sales available all the way until 30 minutes or less before departure incase someone needs to buy a last minute walkup ticket. I have sold several of these tickets in my carrier. you just have to pay attention to the time of year, holidays and extended weekends. Here in the States we have full flights today because people are still going back from an extended Labor Day weekend. All of the flights I worked today went out full - 0 open seats. Remember that the cost to operate the flight includes you fuel, your employees needed to operate the ticket counters, kiosks, gates and ramp/ground handling, the lease of the gates, fees paid to the airport for office space and counters, flight deck and inflight crews and many other factors.

Last edited by A320FAN; Sep 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:12 AM
martinpc martinpc is offline

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alicante Spain

Hi A320fan,I appreciate your reply but in all honesty it still does not make any sense.The airlines costs are the same for every day of the week.I know they will not,but would it not be fairer to us all if the airline say for example,m20e t30e w40e th50e f60e s70e su80e,add that up,ie total 350e divide by seven=50e for every day of the week.Would that not make sense?I worked for 15 years for British Airways in UK at Heathrow and we did not have many happy passengers,always something to moan about!I was glad to get away.I myself,on the 2nd Sept we had a flight booked for ALC/PMI for our holiday.On the 28th Aug i was rushed to hospital with a suspected heart attack!After extensive tests i was discharged on the SECOND SEPT.We could not fly so had to cancel.The airline and hotel refused to give not even 1euro back,i lost a total 800e.It just shows how ruthless the travel industry is!Many thanks,take care.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:42 AM

There does have to be some variable pricing, to manage demand. Lower off peak fares encourage people to spread their travel out across the whole day. However, I agree that the problem with the "market forces" argument put forward by A320Fan is that market forces do not operate in the majority of hub markets. In large hubs, there is usually a dominant carrier or a duopoly which impedes the effective entry of new competitors and prevents the market from working effectively. In addition, the Terms and Conditions imposed uniformly by virtually all airlines are abusive, anti-competitive and mean that consumers have effectively no choice. These type of market distortions are normally managed by regulation, but the domestic US market has a series of anti-trust exemptions, market protections to prevent competition and ownership restrictions. The international markets are carved up by treaty and serves to protect national interests and pride and not the consumer.

Reservations Web Fares vs Call Center Fares Fuzydude Reservations 1 Jun 22, 2012 9:05 PM