COMPLAINT: Delta bad service

Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:59 PM
amyxa amyxa is offline

Join Date: Apr 2008

My 73 years old mother, who speaks no English, was flying from Moscow to Washington with Delta on Friday, April 4th. Her first flight from Moscow to New York (JFK), flight #31, was on time. Her second flight from New York (JFK) to Washington (DCA), flight # 6195 at 3:50pm, was cancelled. My mother was reregistered for flight #6024 at 8:25pm. Nobody explained her anything. She was not offered any assistance with registering for earlier flights and with translation from English to Russian. She had to look for Russian customers to get help navigating around. I found about flight cancellation at the airport. No information about cancellation was provided on Delta website. I was told by Delta representative, that flight was cancelled because of weather conditions. My mother remembers that weather in New York was good, and all other flights were departing from the airport. After six hours waiting at the airport and changing gates few times, she finally was boarded to the airplane at 9pm. After the plane was in the air for a while, it landed at the same airport. The flight was canceled again. No information about flight cancellation was provided. I came to the airport second time to meet my mother and could not find any information about the flight. Finally, Delta representative at the luggage area called to JFK and told me that the flight # 6024 was cancelled. I did not get any information about next available flight and new reservation for my mother. After I came home the Delta representative, Kevin, called me from (718) 704-2473. He explained that the flight was cancelled because the pilot was illegal to fly and my mother was registered for the flight # 4983 at 3:50pm next day. I asked Kevin if there are other earlier flights available. He explained that there is a 12:15 flight, but no sits available for that one. I asked him to put my mother on the stand by list for that flight. He told me that he added her name to the “stand by” list and she can try to get to 12:15 flight tomorrow.
My mother was sent to the hotel. On her way to the hotel she was not sure where she is going. She just followed other people. No Delta representatives assisted her on her way to the hotel. She had to wait for a bus for two hours, but bus didn’t come. People had to walk to the hotel. She was able to get to bed around 3am. She was already exhausted. She was coming all the way from Moscow. She did not slip two nights. Next day, on Saturday, she came to the airport for 12:15 flight, but was not allowed to the plane. I called several times to the gate asking personnel to assist my older mother and help her to get to the 12:15 flight, but no help was offered to my mother. Female, who worked at the gate for flight #4941 ignored me. She refused to give me her name. She was very unprofessional and rude. My elderly mother had to spend four more hours at the airport waiting for the next flight at 3:50pm. All together she spent 24 hours at JFK airport. Her trip from Moscow to Washington took her 36 hours.
This experience with Delta Airlines is very disappointing for both of us. My mother was exhausted after this trip. She still does not feel good. I concern about her health. At the airport, where I finally met her, she was ready to cry. I chose this airline, because I expected good service and fast connection for my mother. I made a big mistake. I will never choose Delta for my flights any more. Their service is not organized well. It is very stressful for young and strong people, and impossible to manage for elderly customers. I cannot believe that my mother’s flight from New York to Washington could not be arranged during her day of arrival to New York, on Friday, April 4th. She should be provided with translator and much better assistance at the airport. She should not be left waiting for her next flight for 24 hours. This is ridiculous.
I complained to Delta Customer Services, but all they can do for my mother - offer her some credit for her next flight with Delta (good for a year). My mother is not going to fly in near years any more, especially with Delta. This form of compensation does not work for her.

Suggestion 6 tips to improve delta service bettse Delta Air Lines Complaints 52 Nov 21, 2009 1:48 AM
In-flight Issue The trip from hell on delta 1st class service! kassar Delta Air Lines Complaints 5 Nov 12, 2009 4:54 AM
In-flight Issue First class ticket, Economy class service...no more Delta lori29 Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Jun 26, 2009 7:02 PM