COMPLAINT: Complaint: Airfrance Help Desk Gave me Wrong Information

Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:55 PM
amattahcj amattahcj is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014

When I was searching for a suitable airline to ply to mexico. I wrote to many airlines asking them there terms of services with regards to getting a transit visa to some countries like Spain and. France.
I was told by Iberian airline that I need a transit visa to transit through Amsterdam.
I made enquiry to Airfrance on 22nd May through my email address, asking if i will need a transit visa to transit through France en route to Mexico and they replied with the message below;

Dear Mister Amattah ,
A visa is not required for a transit in France if you stay on the same airport.
Best regards,
The Air France Sales and Service center
09 69 39 02 15 (6.30 am-10 pm 7/7 - local rates from a fixed line) or +33 9 69 39 02 15 from

Then below is my initial enquiry to Airfrance;

"Dear Sir,Madam,
I'm a Nigerian about to travel to Mexico for a vacation and I will like to fly with Airfrance
through France airport. Please I want to know if it is possible for me to fly from Lagos airport in
Nigeria to france airport and finally to Mexico City without needing a transit visa for france.
I have 6 months Mexican visa.

After Airfrance replied me, i chose a suitable date (16th July, 2014) for my travel to mexico, i booked online and paid for the flight ticket round trip.

On the 16th of July 2014, I went to lagos airport to board the flight to Mexico and I was stopped by Mr. Jeffrey and his co-workers at the Airfrance check in section on the ground that i need a transit visa to travel through france to mexico.
I showed them the print out of the enquiry I made to Airfrance and also the reply I got from Airfrance with regards to my enquiry, and they refused to allow my check in. They embarrassed me and asked me to go out that they will never allow me to check in.
I was frustrated and went to the Airfrance booking office and they referred me back to the check in section.
At this point i was traumatised and was left with no option than to cancel my flight and go home. The most annoying part of it is that they made me look stupid and I was so embarrassed.

Consequently, I left the airport around 10 PM, on my way back to where I lodged, I was robbed at a gun point and i lost my Q10 blackberry smart phone and my PTA money ($1500) which I was meant to travel with around Mile 2 area of Lagos.

However, i wrote to Airfrance explaining everything to them I also asked them to find a solution to this mess they did to me and also pay me a compensation fee for all my lost in the hand of the armed robbers and also for all the embarrassment i got from the Airfrance workers at the check in section.

I am really angry with Airfrance because there customer care section tricked me to book a flight with them on the ground that i will not need a transit visa to France if i stay on the same airport en route to Mexico. It is a fraudulent act. If Airfrance lack customers, why not approach an advertising agency that will help them advertise there airline properly to the world instead of misleading people to patronise them with wrong information.

I missed my first program in Mexico, which is took place on 19th July, 2014."

The below message was there respond to my complaint:
Dear Mr Chukwuemeka

I was informed by our Social Media team about the inconvenience you experienced when you were unable to travel as planned on flight AF3849 from Lagos to Mexico via Paris due to documents verification.

Please allow me to clarify that as an airline our core responsibility is the transportation of passengers and their baggage, from the point of origin to their point of destination.

However, with the present heightened security, travel requirements are constantly changing. As such, Air France is obliged to carry out identity and preventive checks to save passengers from being sent back to their point of departure on arrival at their destination or while in transit, at their own expense.

Checking of documents and visa requirements is therefore a service we provide as a facilitator for the immigration authorities of those countries and more important to avoid heavy fines in the event a passenger has been transported with the wrong travel documents.

Nevertheless, the ultimate responsibility for a passenger meeting the requisite conditions for entry into any country rests firmly with the passenger.

Should you have any doubts as to the specific passport/visa/entry requirements for any country; the consulate or embassy of the country you will be travelling to can inform you about the necessary documents.

In view of the above we are unable to accept liability for any expenses you subsequently incurred.

Furthermore, I am very sorry to hear that your impression of our service has been marred by the circumstances you describe and we hope that future contacts with our airline will prove to be as efficient and courteous as may be expected.

It was certainly not our intention to misinform you regarding this matter and we would like to extend our apologies for any disappointment that this may have caused.

Please rest assured, Mr Chukwuemeka, that your comments have been forwarded to the concerned teams for internal follow-up. We are keen to identify areas of our operations that need to be improved so that our customers can enjoy trouble-free travel and a superior level of service, both on the ground and in the air.

Having said so, I am sorry to learn that the reservation you made did not meet your requirements. Checking your ticket 006-2110187480, I can confirm that it was totally unused and would kindly ask you to contact the travel agent involved so they can proceed with the refund.

Once again, please accept our most sincere apologies for the difficulties you encountered and the delays to which you were subjected. Had there been any solution by then, I assure you that Air France would have opted for it without hesitation.

Thank you, Mr Chukwuemeka, for writing and allowing us this opportunity to reply. I sincerely hope that your subsequent flight with us will be to your entire satisfaction.

Yours sincerely,

Daisy Shalaby

Customer Care"

So far, i want this forum to help me get JUSTICE for my lost so far.

Etihad Customer Service gave us wrong email to claim our miles hapihali Etihad Guest Complaints 0 Oct 25, 2012 8:22 AM
Customer Service AA agents gave me wrong information Bernardo American Airlines Complaints 0 Feb 11, 2011 12:59 PM
Baggage Problems Wrong information and missing item katia United Airlines Complaints 0 Dec 1, 2008 9:01 PM
Baggage Problems Wrong information and missing item katia United Airlines Complaints 0 Dec 1, 2008 9:00 PM
UA gave wrong information, ended up having to pay for flight WalnutCreek Mileage Plus Complaints 0 Mar 17, 2007 4:42 AM