COMPLAINT: Vueling cancelled/rescheduled flight with less than 14 days notice.

Old May 9, 2012, 9:08 PM
alexthekid alexthekid is offline

Join Date: May 2012

Hi.

I am posting this in a couple of forums as want to get some advice.
We recently booked flights with vueling flying from Barcelona to Athens ,
the original dates where, 19may 1930 and return 26 may 2355. We then
booked flights to fly from athens to rhodes and back, leaving between 4 and 6 hours between flights. Then at the beggining of this week, with less
than 14 days notice, we were informed that our flight has been rescheduled to the follwing day at both ends. 24 hours forward. Meaning that we would no longer be able to make our connecting flights.

In the first instance we emailed them as we didn't have the money to be
calling them. We checked how much it would be to change the flights which came to 260. This is money that we can not really afford as we are already on a tight budget for this trip.

After not hearing back from our email that night, before going to bed, we
sent one more. Still no reply by the next afternoon, so sent one more
email before getting credit in my phone and calling them. The phone
assistant we got the first time said that she could not speak English and
would not transfer me to someone who spoke english but instead that I had to call back and hope that I got someone who spoke english. The next person I got through to said she didnt speak english but did transfer me through to someone who did.

I was told that I could either be refunded the money or be booked on a
flight the day before instead, which was the Friday. I said that I was not
happy, because either way we were going to be loosing a lot of money as
they wouldn't be refunding our other flights as they were with a different
company and that if we took the earlier flight we would have to spend two
nights in Athens, which wasn't really an option either. I said that we
would want to be compensated, but he just repeated the same thing, refund or move the dates, to near anything I asked.

I also asked for a reason why the flight had been cancelled, to which I
was told operational procedures. I got cut off and ran out of credit.
after this I emailed again, asking them to please contact by phone or at
least give me the courtesy of a reply to my emails. Also I asked to be
given the reason the flight had been cancelled, and also said this:

In your terms and conditions section 7.2.1. it details that if your flight
has been cancelled, then depending on the distance, if vueling are unable
to get you to your destination within a maximum of 4 hours, then you are
entitled to compensation depending on the distance. Our flight has been
cancelled. Is the flight we booked for the 19th of may flying. No it is
not. This means it has been cancelled. Rescheduling may be the
terminology you use but that is not true as what has happened is that you
have cancelled our flight and put us on a flight for the following day at
either end, and also we have been provided with less than 14 days notice.

However I know upon reading into EC 261 that this doesnt seem to apply in
this case, am I right? I mean can they still somehow claim that this is
the same flight. I just cant see how that is true either way.

I then after getting no response called from the phone at work and spoke to a lady who was apolagetic at least and said that she understood that it was unfair. She said she could see all my emaisl and had no idea why they had not been replied to. I asked her for the reason the flight had been
cancelled and she just gave me the same excuse, operational procedures. I
said that those were just words and did not give a diffinative answer as to
the reason why. She said that she did not know why. I asked her to find
out, to which she said she could not.

I then asked about the procedure to changing the flight to the friday. We
had decided that by doing this at least the money would be going on a hotel and some food etc in athens as opposed to going to another airline company for something we had essentially already paid for. I was then told that there was no flight on the friday even though I had been told the previous evening I could change to this flight. I checked on the website and right enough there was no flight there. I am even sure that I seen a flight rescheduled for the friday when I had looked previously.

So I asked her what had happened to this flight. She said she didnt know,
and was unable to tell me if there had ever been a flight on that date. I
felt this was ridiculous, so asked her to find out if there had been a flight on that date. She said that she couldnt, eventually I convinced her
to go and asjk her supervisor/team leader / manager etc. She went away, wether she asked anyone or not I am unsure, but she came back to say that he did not know, nor did he know the reason the flight had been
cancelled/rescheduled. eventually after talking for a while and going round in circles I asked to speak to her team leader / manager.

I was told that he doesnt take calls, and that none do. I said this seemed
strange as I also work in a call centre and calls can always be escalated
to a team leader etc. so I asked her if her team leader was refusing to
speak to me, she kept avoiding answering the questionand just saying that
they dont take calls. I told her there must be a superior that I could
speak to about this but no. In the end I gave up and said goodbye, taking
her name of course, wether it was real or not, I am unsure (I had taken her first name at the beggining of the call)

I was also told that if i wanted to lodge a complaint i would have to do it
in writing by email, to which i laughed since that had gone so well before
with their speedy replies.

So now we have changed the other flights anyway as going on the thu was not an option, for both work and money. So we are now down 260 and a whole lot of hassle. Our holiday is also going to be cut short as the connecting flights on the way back mean being stuck in athens airport for half a day.

Sorry i know this is a massive long rant. I am just wondering if there is
much hope of compensation and also any advice that can be given.

Old May 10, 2012, 11:29 AM
bilingual bilingual is offline

Join Date: Oct 2010

Nope , not much to do, Vueling has no obligations for your internal flights in Greece and as they have offered you alternatives regarding refund or rescheduled flight, it is irrelevant what their excuse for cancelling the flight is(probably low bookings).
Old May 10, 2012, 1:15 PM
alexthekid alexthekid is offline

Join Date: May 2012

Originally Posted by bilingual View Post
Thansk for the reply.

I do feel that it is a lost cause from what I have read with other people experiencing the same problem. It seems to be a common occurance that they reschedule flights.

I just feel that surely they should have to provide more notice?

Also that we were told we could go on a flight on the friday and then uppon looking into that and calling, were told there wasnt even a flight on the friday, nor could she tell me if there ever had been.

Just upset at having to spend an extra 260 euros that we do not have to spend, and also their lack of response initially. I will definatley write in to complain anyway, even if i feel it wont get anywhere.

It really annoys me aswell that my parents are going on a holiday to italy in august and just invited me and my girlfriend to come and meet them for a few days, but vueling is the only airline flying from here. I dont feel that I can take the risk in booking with them incase the same thing happens again. So probably will end up not going at all if cant find an alternative airline.
Old May 11, 2012, 9:01 AM
bilingual bilingual is offline

Join Date: Oct 2010

It agree that it can be tempting to book separate tickets due to the low cost revolution in Europe and in your case the lack of cheap connecting flights BCN-RHO, but when it occasionaly goes wrong, it goes very very wrong and no insurance can cover it.
I have only heard bad things about Vueling, so i would advice you not to ruin your holiday in Italy by using them, try look at flights from nearby Girona to Italy, Ryanair demands you to be very concentrated when booking in order not to raise the fare and service is non-existent, but their d number of cancelled flights is far lower than Vueling.

Originally Posted by alexthekid View Post
Thansk for the reply.

I just feel that surely they should have to provide more notice?

Reservations Reservations cancelled without notice melocactus Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Nov 4, 2011 7:39 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight cancelled, delayed for 3 days, consequential loss cpenn American Airlines Complaints 3 Aug 12, 2011 11:19 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight rescheduled for arrival 7 hours late tarnoff Delta Air Lines Complaints 4 Jul 23, 2010 10:00 AM
Customer Service Cancelled flight; no notice, no protection; incoherent "Customer Care" response Debra Thomas United Airlines Complaints 4 Feb 8, 2009 3:47 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked rescheduled flight mandy United Airlines Complaints 1 Aug 20, 2008 1:46 PM