In-flight Issue
COMPLAINT: Allowed connection time is way too short

Old May 12, 2017, 2:48 PM

A Recent flight was sold with a connection time of 35 minutes through Vienna. This is the time from the stated landing of the incoming flight, and takeoff of the connecting flight. This is not appropriate because I had to run (not jog) the full length of the airport, queue-jump at 2 security checks, and when I arrived at the gate, the crew member looked surprised that I made it. Some points to note on this:

1) The incoming flight was on time
2) This is not the first time that this has happened to me
3) I was travelling alone, I am reasonably fit, not elderly, nor travelling with my kids
4) I have seen flights sold with Austrian Airlines with shorter connection times
5) There was a delay on disembarking the inbound flight, as we waited with the plane doors open for over 10 minutes for the HAND luggage to be offloaded.

I can run across an airport, then be unconfortable, sweaty and stinky for the duration of the 2 hour 20 minutes connecting flight, and the hour drive home. Many people cannot make that sprint.

Lately, I have connected 4 times through Vienna on Austrian, and only once was it a relaxed experience. Twice, I have had to sprint like a maniac, and another time I sprinted, having been told the connection was waiting, and arrived to find the gate closed.

Please:

1) Request the ground crew is able to remove the hand luggage in a timely fashion.
2) Allow passengers off the plane whilst this happens. Those passengers who did not have hand luggage to deposit at the bottom of the aircraft steps can then board the bus to the terminal
3) Query the layout of your hub airport. Is it necessary to have 2 security checks?
4) This is the key one - STOP SELLING TICKETS WITH SUCH SHORT CONNECTION TIMES IF IT IS NOT PRACTICAL!
5) When connections are going to be missed, be clear about it
6) Provide more customer service people when your flights are late into Vienna. The last time took almost 2 hours to get a flight sorted out.
7) Close down. Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, Brussels are all far better regional hub airports. Vienna airport cannot provide a decent experience. It is just not possible. Even Brussels airport, still damaged after its horrible bombing was an easier experience than when I had to have my transfer rebooked. It has to be a false economy to have such short connection times, when the inevitable rebooking costs, hassle damage to reputation (!) could be slashed by adding 15 minutes to the connection.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook