COMPLAINT: Allegiant Airlines.. you get what you pay for!!!

Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:13 AM
annieruck annieruck is offline

Join Date: Jun 2009

Just a lil heads up . Dont get starry eyed, about low air fare prices from Allegiant Air. My daughter was invited on a trip to Florida with a friend, who has flown many times before and knows the ropes.. Well.. Tickets were cheap enough, so what the heck, Becky is 17 and they will be staying with family member of her friend.

Well the trip down seemed to go flawless.. The plane was to leave at 7:20 we arrived at 6 pm got in line for the check in procedure, all went with out a hitch.. checked in approx. 6:50 she was on the plane at 7 and it took off at 7:20 like clock work!

She had a great time, took lots of pictures got to watch the sunset on the beach... then the time comes to come home...

I talked to her via text message at about 3:20, she had just arrived the St Petersburg airport and was standing in line along with all the other travelers, they notice as they inch along (about an hour or so) that the counter at Allegiant air had shut off its lights, well the freinds Aunt ran up and approached the counter to ask what was up that there were people in line waiting to be checked and that she had a Kid that had a ticket and needed on the flight. The counter employee told her that the flight had already boarded and left 20 mins prior. At 5:13 my daughter phones me from the Allegiant air counter and I coule hear the employee giving her the too bad so sad routine. I asked to speak with them and they gave me the routine i apologize crap and said the plane had already left WHEN it wasnt scheduled to leave UNTIL 5:15. So now I have a hysterical daughter who needs to get home standing in an airport 800 some odd miles away sobbing because she just wants to come home.

I call the main number for allegiant air and they FLAT REFUSED to help us at all.. I tried to explain as calmly and maturely as I possibly could what happened and could they please make her ticket good for the next flight into lexington, I was told that her ticket was regaurded as a no show and that it was non refundable and they could not do anything. I tried to reason with them telling them that she was a minor stranded because their plane left early and that the counter people didnt do enough to make sure passengers were on the plane.

So now my dilemma is how to get her home. I checked out other flights different airlines, and everything was way to expensive. So my husband and I thought about a bus ticket. I go on line purchase her a ticket and she is now on the Bus and I have to travel to Atlanta to pick her up. I will be leaving about 2:30 in the morning.

Now if you think all this was bad.. HERE is the kicker, for poops and giggles I go on the Allegiant air site and track her flight... according to the web site.. the flight did NOT DEPART UNTIL 5:27 pm.. So that tells me while I was on the phone with the counter employee at 5:13, the plane had not left.. more than likely it was still boarding!!!!!! Their people in my opinion are VERY incompetent!! They've cost me double what it should have and their customer service is Terrible and uncaring. This has been a nightmare. Please pray that I make to Atlanta and back safely!!

Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:42 AM

From the Allegiant Air website:

• What time should I arrive at the airport for my flight?
  • Allegiant Air recommends arriving at the airport at least two (2) hours prior to scheduled departure. Customers need to be checked in no less than 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure which is when the Ticket Counter closes.
Your timeline seems to be a bit off. You said your daughter sent you a text message @3:20. You then said they inched through the line for an hour or so and at that point the lights at the counter were turned off. The scheduled departure of the flight was 5:15 so the ticket counter would have closed @4:30 and anyone not checked in at that point would be considered a no-show. Was she in line at 3:20 or just arriving at the airport? It seems that 10 minute discrepency could be crucial here.

You go on to say that your daughter called you at 5:13 which is 2 minutes before the scheduled departure. It is perfectly reasonable to conclude that the person working the counter shut it down @4:30, went to the gate to board the plane, probably got the plane boarded and the door shut a few minutes early (the 5:27 PM departure time you saw was wheels-up time) and was back at the counter at 5:10 or so to deal with those, including your daughter, who did not make the cutoff time.

People miss flights all the time. Unfortunately the Allegiant flight from St Petersburg-Clearwater to Lexington is the only flight. Allegiant doesn't interlinewith any other airline. Your options when a flight is missed are severly limited.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 4:40 PM
DNM95377 DNM95377 is offline

Join Date: Jun 2009

Your story is similar to a post that I made regarding this very same thing. Your daughter was "fortunate" that she was even able to speak to anyone. Allegiant's main number is useless..as you found out...again...you were "lucky" that they even answered the phone to begin with. The employees aren't necessarily incompetent...they just do what they are told/trained...and are NOT empowered by the higher ups to "do the right thing". They like to stick to the "letter of the law" so to speak with regards to their "policies" and will absolutely not deviate from the script...everything regarding this airline appears to be black and white, nothing in between regardless of circumstance...even if it would be in their own best LONG TERM interest to accommodate.

I feel your pain with regards to having "lost" the money you spent on Allegiant...as they will absolutely not give you a refund or credit....the attitude (which is a BIG part of Allegiant's problem) is "you snooze, you lose". As you have found out...booking last minute for an alternate flight is expensive...so that's another slap in the face. 6 of us "missed" our flight on Allegiant...had to drive to another airport...and spent an additional $1,100 to get to our destination in a timely manner. Lesson learned.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine on the bus trip back home. Unfortunately it's an inconvenience that wasn't necessary. Good job again Allegiant.

Agreed...you get what you pay for....and sometimes not even that.

Originally Posted by annieruck View Post

Old Jun 10, 2009, 4:57 PM
mars6423 mars6423 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey/Singapore
Send a message via AIM to mars6423

DNM95377 i read your post and it is obvious that you were wrong and it was your fault that you missed the flight, the airline in your case didnt do anything wrong, you arrived late and the airline staff were doing their job and getting people who were there on time boarding the plane. You were late so suck it up and realize that it is your responsibility to be there on time, i am sure that if you were there on time than you would have made the flight. Its the same thing with many airlines in small airports, so you cant just say it is this one airline

I do however feel that annieruck has the right to be annoyed, the airline didnt help her out as much as they should have, it is understandable if it was the last flight out so she would have to wait till the next day, or the other airlines wouldnt give up a seat for her, but there were things that could have been done in the situation to help her out that were not offered from my beliefs. No reason for her to take a bus trip out of pocket.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:38 PM

Originally Posted by mars6423 View Post
Well, yes and no. Discrepancies in the time-line aside, I did some checking (flight departure time etc.) and Allegiant only operates the Clearwater/Tampa to Lexington flights Tuesday and Saturday. Also, like Southwest, they do not interline or re-book passenegers on any other airline so in the OP's case it was probably an option of waiting until Saturday (assuming that Allegiant would change the ticket) or taking the bus.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 4:31 AM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

Is Lexington and Tampa on the same time zone? If Lexington is in Central and Tampa on East coast time, then if her daughter texted her at 320pm Lexington time it would have been 420pm Tampa time and thus would have made the timeline correct.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:32 PM

Originally Posted by Leatherboy2006 View Post
Both are in the Eastern time zone.

Dont Fly Allegiant Air! ryan93004 Allegiant Air Complaints 6 Nov 11, 2012 10:56 PM
Allegiant Airlines DNM95377 Allegiant Air Complaints 23 Jun 13, 2009 7:06 AM
Allegiant Air tbounds74 Allegiant Air Complaints 1 Sep 15, 2008 9:35 PM
Allegiant Air melissabottoms Allegiant Air Complaints 5 Jun 6, 2008 2:47 AM
Allegiant Airlines: Changing take off dates wiscwolf Allegiant Air Complaints 0 Oct 29, 2007 1:50 PM