COMPLAINT: Austrian Airlines- the worst airline

Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:30 AM

Join Date: Oct 2009

Me and my family (2 adults and a 2 year old boy) used Austrian airlines business class from Austria-Bangkok on September 2009. We choose Austrian airlines because it was cheaper compare to other airlines since we’re staying in Bangkok more than 6 months and also because of their nice homepage about children. It was a really bad choice. In Vienna airport we stayed in their business lounge for quite long time. During those hours my son was playing with us in the lounge. As any other 2 years old when he played he made quite some noise. Suddenly the lounge staff came to us and told us that our son had been noisy for more than 1 hour already and in her opinion there cannot be any noise in the lounge. So I said that we paid already the business class fee (even my son is having his own seat) that we’re entitle to be in the lounge. The staff just shrugs her shoulder and didn’t offer any solution. My husband asked should we leave the lounge and again the staffs shrug her shoulder again. We chose business class for our long haul flight so I could get some help since we’re travelling with small child and having nice and easier time being in the lounge. I then made a complain to their customer service and they just said sorry and in the reply they gave me lots of rules on how to behave in their lounge.
We are very disappointed since when we chose the airline because it seems that they really care about children. We would definitely next time choose to pay much more than having bad feeling by flying with Austrian Airlines. We wouldn’t choose this airlines if we knew that it’s not child friendly. We won’t recommend this airline to anybody with children unless the child is really silent or you have drug your child to be silent.

Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:17 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Some airline lounges have "family rooms" which are separate from the main lounge area and are often separated by a door to keep the noise level in the main part of the lounge down. I realize you paid a premium fare to fly business class but that doesn't entitle you to disturb others in the lounge with the noise of your rambunctious two year old. Others who also paid a premium for their tickets or who pay annually for lounge access have the right to enjoy a quiet atmosphere. I'm not sure why you were so offended by the lounge staff asking you to quiet him down. It's their job and since, as you say, the noise went on for an hour before they approached you they were probably doing so because of a complaint from someone else in the lounge.

As for your impression of Austrian Airlines being "kid friendly" here is the information, in English, from their website on traveling with children:

Children on board There's lots for children to see and do on board! Our younger guests can look forward to toys and games, a special children's menu and our JetFriends magazine, plus a varied inflight entertainment programme. Games and toys

For children aged 3 and above, we provide a wide range of different games, toys and puzzles for different age groups on board all our scheduled flights. It's a good idea to bring your children's favourite toys with you as well.

Special kids' menu

We also serve meals that are specially designed to appeal to younger tastes. A special children's menu is available for our younger guests in Business Class on short and medium-haul flights and in both classes on long-haul routes – please reserve at least 24 hours before departure. On all flights, children are always served their meals first.
All of this information pertains to services for children in-flight. There is no mention of any special amenities for children in the lounge.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:53 PM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

Having had/have memberships in several airline clubs, I can say I enjoy the quiet and not hearing loud noise or kids screaming. If the kid was making noise for 1 hour or more your lucky it was only the staff that said something and not someone trying to rest or do work.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:41 PM
AirlinesMustPay AirlinesMustPay is offline
Account Closed

Join Date: Sep 2009

Flora and jukka

The sooner you realize that your noisy 2 year old might be cute to you, but annoying to other people, the better it would be for you. It seems that if he was playinig noisily with you, you were encouraging him to be noisy. Even in the general waiting area you need to keep children under control, far more so in a lounge where people are working or trying to rest and relax in quiet and I feel sure as PHXflyer suggested that the staff only intervened because people complained.

You were entitled to be in the lounge, but not entitled to disturb other people. What solution did you expect the staff to offer?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:42 AM

Join Date: Oct 2009

On our defence, my 2 year old wasn't too noisy. He was just playing with us. since there was not any playing room. We understand that other people had right to have quite atmosphere but we also have right to be in the lounge. We never have this problem with other airlines. We had use cathay pacific, finnair and singapore airlines for our long haul trip. We were fine in their lounge and our son also made some noise as any other kid would. That's why we were so dissapointed since this is not the happening in any other airlines. Anyway some of the passangers in the lounge are also playing with my son so at least I know they're not complaining about him.
When the staff came and told us to be quiet, she could offer some solution. Give him a toys or invent something to help us. Not just shrug her shoulder ad left like she wouldn't care. And if it is not allowed to make any noise in the lounge, then Austrian airline should mention that somehow in their homepage. And we won't even consider using it because we know that is not the airline for us. What is offending is that the staff didn't even offer any help. Just come and complain and shrug her shoulder and left when we asked what should we do. We wouldn't mind if she asked nicely and offer some solution. That was why we took business class. so we got help with our son. Since it is a tiring flight.
And anyway when we complain to the customer service. As in any right mind airline's customer service (seeing the customer is quite angry) they have to calm us down somehow and being humble and not blame us even more and give us rules on how to behave in their lounge. our behavior is accepted in other airlines lounge without any problem. We only have proplem with this small airlines that is having snob staffs and customer service. Maybe if they go to some business school or training, they know how to treat their customer abit better.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:43 AM

Join Date: Oct 2009

The kid was't screeming he just busied himself with his toy card and sometimes talk by himself
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:46 AM

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer View Post

Then they should mention that they don't have any children facility at all in the lounge. And anyway about the children menu, The "so called" chef didn't even know what the children menu was and we had to wait one hour for him to ask around. I had to asked the "so called" chef to serve my son's meal many times before we got it.

Last edited by floraandjukka; Nov 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM. Reason: adding more reason
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:52 AM

Originally Posted by AirlinesMustPay View Post
Flora and jukka

We didn't disturb other poeple. We just play with our son. Some passangers also played with him in the lounge. We could understand if the staff complain because my son is sreaming, crying or being cranky. He was just playing with us (and sometimes alone) and laughing. he didn't even go to other's space. we just occupied our own little space and move around there most of the time. Anyway the staff could offer some help for us. And as for what solution, it's not my job to think about it. Isn't the airlines taugh the staff what to do in this situation?

Last edited by floraandjukka; Nov 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM. Reason: adding mor reason
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:08 PM
Disappointed austrian Disappointed austrian is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

We cannot entirely blame Austrian Airlines for its thievery, only for its lack of human compassion. We arrived from the USA to the Vienna airport after a long flight and finding out that it was quite complicated to get to Innsbruck by land, we approached an attendant at Austrian Airlines. He could see that we were in a bind and had no available choices and sold us two tickets, for this 45 minute flight, ONE way, for just under $800 for two people. Did he hold a gun to our head to get us to buy the tickets? Of course not but given that we were able to purchase return tickets with Nikky airlines for a total of $226, I believe that this agent could have done better. I cannot help hoping that if that agent's family members are ever in a similar situation, anywhere in the world, they will be treated the same.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:33 PM
mm7977 mm7977 is offline

Join Date: May 2011

News: 08.08.2011 Austrian Airlines paid to Murat Bilga 250EUR (material compensation part) according to regulation EC 2004/261, no notification has been sent by carrier and no any response for the non-material part of my demands, I will add here the development....

if you are dealing with austrian airlines non caring customer services check here http://www.denied-boarding.info

Austrian Airline khodadad Austrian Airlines Complaints 2 Jan 19, 2016 3:09 AM
Austrian Airlines garik Austrian Airlines Complaints 5 Aug 10, 2011 7:03 PM
Austrian Airlines - OS 373 Vo Paul Austrian Airlines Complaints 13 Sep 9, 2009 7:05 AM