Baggage Problems
COMPLAINT: Lost Luggage and Disappointing Response

Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:24 PM

Here are my thoughts on Delta Airlines and their partner Air France . . . .. Both of our bags were lost on my wife and my "trip of a lifetime" to Paris and Italy. Three weeks in these historic cities to celebrate her 50th birthday. Upon our arrival we discovered we had no luggage. Undeterred we went to the lost luggage area and filed all the appropriate paperwork. We were told to buy the clothing we needed until our bags arrived and we would be reimbursed (just keep receipts)... Three days later we got one bag . . . but not the one with all of our clothing. We called each day to see if our luggage had been found. Unfortunately, we were told it had not but to buy those clothing items we needed and we would be reimbursed. When we arrived home we filled out all the necessary forms, itemized our contents of our luggage, secured receipts for items in the lost baggage, provided receipts for each of our purchases and expenses due to the lost luggage. Fast forward 6 weeks. This week I was told by a Delta claims representative that my wife and I would be reimbursed "up to the Montreal Max" but they could/would not reimburse us for the cost of our purchases or the international calls we made trying to locate our luggage. The receipts we were able to provide for our lost clothing apparently exceeded the International maximum. (By the way did you know they reimburse far more on domestic flights than international flights . . . how does that make any sense). So they lost our luggage and our trip was disrupted with international calls to try to locate the luggage. Our planned daily routine disrupted by shopping trips to buy necessary clothes we didn't and don't want. Our tour of Paris was cut short when we were told we had to meet a delivery person for the one bag they did find. I've spent countless hours securing documentation and receipts to verify our loss and expense. I have made calls, written letters and filled out required forms to explain our situation and comply with airline rules. Ultimately we don't get fully reimbursed for the items they lost in our suitcase and we are told we will not get reimbursed at all for the expenditures we incurred solely due to the lost luggage. It is very frustrating when the airline's negligence not only significantly impacted a trip my wife and I had been looking forward to for a very long time but it is even more disturbing that we were told we will suffer financial damage from that airlines negligence. I have written to the airlines requesting they do the right thing . . . . I will update when I hear back . . . .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook