Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:53 AM
niskayuna niskayuna is offline

Join Date: Mar 2007
Default Flight diverted, baggage didn't maket it, incompetent staff

I had a flight, on a business trip, on United Airlines from Albany NY to San Jose, CA (via Chicago) on flights UA 5400 & UA 559 on March 7th 2007. An hour after the take off, on flight UA 5400, due to a mechanical problem the flight got diverted to Syracuse, NY. We were promised a flight to Chicago within 2 hrs. Till 6 hrs later, nothing happened. I missed my connection to San Jose and had no chance of making it the same day. After requesting, complaining, begging and haggling and dealing with customer service phone calls (hrs) and mechanical replies - I was one of the very few fortunate passengers who could get rerouted to - Washington Dulles and fly into San Francisco, CA, sometime late midnight. A journey supposed to take 8 hrs took me 18 hrs.

And, my baggage didn't make it. All my business clothes and material were in the bags. I was promised that it will be in San Jose the next day, 8th March 2007. When I called the baggage claims, I was told that baggages are there in Airport. When I went to the airport, late evening on 8th March 2007 (24 hrs after I flew in), only my hand bag made it. One other bag, it seems, has been sent somewhere else. I was told that it may make it San Jose airport late night. Nope. When I called the next morning, on 9th March 2007, I was told that my baggage is stuck in Washington' DC and hopefully can make it to Chicago later in the day and to San Jose eventually. I am still waiting on getting my baggage, even after 48 hrs of my travel.

And even after repeated tries, I am unable to get to talk to any customer relations representative on phone.

This complete mixup and incompetence on part of the United Airlines - customer service, baggage handling - has put me thru a lot of inconvenience. And miscommunication and false communication only made the whole thing much worse.

I demand that United Airlines:

a) Make sure that it compensates me, as a passenger, for all the problems it has created in terms of travel and baggage handling.

b) Make it's customer service more responsive, and easily accessible for passengers to talk to some one and helped in a meaningful fashion, rather than being put thru hours of mechanical and voice-activated systems.

c) Have a better emergency handling process.

If not, it is sure going to lose my business for sure. And many passengers like me. And if ignored and not addressed, many passengers like me will be forced to inform the matter to the DoT, consumer rights groups.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight Cancelled, Rude Staff, Weak Compensation nur American Airlines Complaints 4 Jun 17, 2008 6:50 PM
Baggage Problems Baggage lost, employees incompetent, incurred extra costs DaveWaugh United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 19, 2007 6:47 AM
Customer Service Problem with flight, baggage checked late, rude supervisor ragnhild Southwest Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 19, 2007 1:59 AM
Customer Service Incompetent staff refused to refund fully-refundable ticket barbourJ United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 17, 2007 4:29 AM
In-flight Issue very late flight, food disgusting, horrible staff carinecita00 American Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 8, 2007 2:31 AM