Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:11 PM

Thumbs down Pilot/dispatch incompetence

Compass/NWA Airlink Flight 2061, 7/17/08 MSP to DFW. Boarding delayed about 20 minutes due to lightning in the area. After sitting in the takeoff queue for more than an hour, plane had to go back to refuel. Passengers not allowed to deplane. Late arrival in DFW resulted in sitting in rush hour traffic on the local freeways. Total delay 4 hours.

Anyone who flies out of MSP knows there are often lines to takeoff (I've sat more than an hour in clear weather) so the takeoff delay should have been taken into account for fuel calculations. Dispatch orders the fuel but the pilot has the responsibility to make sure we have enough gas to safely reach the destination. We could see the planes in line before we left the gate and weather was clearing so there is no excuse for this miscalculation of fuel and severe inconvenience to passengers.

In addition, horrid passengers (e.g., constant passing gas, doused in cologne instead of taking a bath with soap and water, shrieking two-year-old). I have had numerous horrendous experiences with Northwurst Airlines, including flights delayed and cancelled. This is only one more on the list.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:53 PM
Banned
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

im sure northwest is sorry for delaying your flight due to weather. however deplaning and then reboarding passengers would cause a further delay and then re-filing for takeoff time. this way they did it, everybody was on board, do the paperwork and go. but you wouldn't want to get up in the air and find out you would have to divert due to low fuel would you?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:25 PM

Default they don't care about the customers, sherlock!

First, the refueling took more than 45 minutes - we boarded in 15 the first time. and Second, the whole point of my aggravation: BEFORE WE LEFT THE GATE and the gas hose (the FIRST TIME) we already knew there had been a delay due to weather. we already knew there was a line to take off. It's the pilot + airline dispatch's JOB to calculate fuel = NOT THAT HARD when the delay part was already OVER and you could count the planes in front of us. They are trying to save fuel, and those little regionals hire guys with barely 500 hrs and pay them $20,000 if they're real lucky (not exactly top gun, duh, and english was not our pilot's first language). THEREFORE the point is they screwed up my schedule and everybody else's with their stupidity - the extra delay (past the 30 minute weather part) was UNNECESSARY if they had done their job properly when they fueled up the first time.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:53 AM

Kathyann.....so, I am curious how you know how many flying hours the flight crew has flown , also how much $$ they make. You try to talk like you are some sort of authority, but apparently you are so angry that you cannot see beyond your own "inconvienience" and talk of it as though it were some personal vendetta against you personally. Sure it sucks you were delayed...probably more so for people that misconnected. Did you ever stop to think that maybe there was a really good reason for refueling. That day there were terrible storms all over the midwest. My guess is that as the Compass flight you were on ws called out of line, not because they suddenly decided "OH, lets just go put some more fuel on board and **** people off" BUT.....their flight plan changed (routing) and needed to go farther around storms that were developing so they needed to take on more fuel. Also, enough to be able to get to a diversion city if need be ,due to bad weather and possibility of having to land elsewhere. Sure that does not change the fact that you probably had to change and rearrange your plans. But really..6 months from now, how important will this be? If this is the worst thing that has happened to you in recent time..well then, you are doing pretty good.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 9:07 PM

Default Nwa

This has to be the worst airline we have ever experienced! Equipment went bad and forced to land elsewhere. Took 12 hours to get to Orlando,Fl. from Chicago,Il. Luggage made it next day! Because I complained, some **** employee Purposely put an S on all of my family's tickets so we got the full search treatment when we returned.

GARBAGE AIRLINE NWA!!! Leslie Winget
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:12 PM

Well, of course things can go wrong...you can do regular maintanance on your car and think it's all okay yet still have something go wrong as you are driving down the highway.

So the pilot realized there was a problem, decided not to take a chance and landed elsewhere. Always Safety First!!!

Look at it this way at least you are able to write a complaint on here...better than having your name in here as one of the unrecognizable persons aboard an aircraft that nose dived down with no recognizable body parts left to identify
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Winget View Post
This has to be the worst airline we have ever experienced! Equipment went bad and forced to land elsewhere. Took 12 hours to get to Orlando,Fl. from Chicago,Il. Luggage made it next day! Because I complained, some **** employee Purposely put an S on all of my family's tickets so we got the full search treatment when we returned.

GARBAGE AIRLINE NWA!!! Leslie Winget
as much as i dont care for nw too, That "****" didnt do it on purpose, its all random. I have had the four S's before, deal with it. its not the end of the world.

More options...