Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:55 AM
robertbcopeland robertbcopeland is offline

Join Date: Jan 2012
Default I lost $12000 because of a 26-hour UA delay!

It was my first time booking with United in several years. In the past, my experience was fine.
However, this one was pathetic.
I flew from Hong Kong to Washington D.C. via Chicago.
On the trip there, my luggage was lost and I received it about 25 hours later.
For the return trip, I checked in at Dulles and the attendant was disrespectful and trite, not budging one inch about my overweight luggage and trying to demand more money than was required. I had to correct her.
After landing in Chicago and preparing to relax during my 3-hour layover, the airline announced that my 1:15 P.M. flight was being delayed until the next morning at 8:00.
United put us in a hotel with rude staff and a measly $15 USD meal voucher to cover 3 meals!!??. I even had to take a taxi from this supposed 5-star hotel to the airport because they didn't have enough staff to man the shuttle.
Once at the airport at 6:00 the next morning, the flight was then delayed again until 1:15 P.M, then 3:00 P.M., eventually taking off at 4:15 P.M..
This delay cost me a business appointment which would have yielded a contract for $12,000 for my business. Of course, I have no documentation to support this situation, but, believe me, my client could not be reached to reschedule!
I complained aggressively to United, who offered mileage credit as a "show of goodwill."
I am still fuming that I lost this client and my money plus my nerves from this long delay!
I want to file a suit against United, but do not know where to start, as it is next to impossible to win such a thing.
At the very least, I want to publicly make them pay.
What can be done!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:56 AM
azstar azstar is offline

There must have been other airlines with seats available to Hong Kong, even if via connections. IMO, it's always best to insist (you shouldn't have to do that, but sometimes you do) on being rerouted via another carrier than to sit and wait for a rolling delay to eventually depart.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:35 PM
Matt_FLL Matt_FLL is offline

Join Date: Nov 2011

You ended with a question: “What can be done?”

I agree with the previous comment about re-accommodation on another airline. Now you know for next time.

I’m sure your fuming. I would be too. Fortunately, you’ve already gotten a response from the airline, although no gesture of goodwill will give you your client back. And not to mention your time and the horrific experience that you lived through.

I know it’s hard, but the best thing to do is just let it go for your own sanity. Unfortunately, you can’t bring litigation against the airline, because there is no legal remedy available for people in your shoes. When you purchased the ticket you “signed” their Contract of Carriage, and they have fulfilled their obligations under that contract.

I wish that more could be done for you. I hope that you reached out to your client, and that he or she understands all that you went through to make this a successful trip. Best of luck in your future travel.

Matt

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked My 32 hour AA trip afesposit American Airlines Complaints 7 Apr 10, 2009 1:04 PM
Customer Service 11 hour delay with rudeness to boot Evangeline_vinson Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Jan 22, 2008 9:38 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked The 6 1/2 hour ---50 minute flight Chixsngr American Airlines Complaints 0 May 30, 2007 5:43 AM