Old May 24, 2008, 4:48 AM
Tamara Tamara is offline

Join Date: May 2008
Default Bad flight May 19 from Sanfransisco, CA to Calgary, Ab (Flight 6414)

I am writing in regards to my flight on May 19, 2008 from San Fransisco to Calgary, AB.

I am very disappointed with the customer service we recevied from your staff. We had been checked in to our flight and were hungry so we contacted the gate services employees to inquire about food services we could go to in time to catch our flight. They told us we had time to eat, and so we did.
We got back to the gate and were held back because we were One minute and 40 seconds late for boarding. We had not heard any final pages for boarding. There were 4 of us and not one of us heard anything.
We felt that were backtracking right away and automatically gave us a food voucher and were apoligizing sarcasticaly.
We watched out the window as our plane was still attached to the boarding dock for at least 5 minutes. Then we proceded to wait for minutes while they took our luggage off of the plane. Then we saw our plane take off.
Our flight was to be from San Fran to Calgary; a flight that should have been 3 hours. Instead we traved from San Fran to New York City, with 1 1/2 hour layover, then to fly from New York to Calgary with Air Canada. Our trip ended up being about 13 hours.
3 out of 4 of us are elementry school teachers and had to have substitue teachers, which cost them each $200. I am a massage therapist and lost 4 clients at $70 each.
We were very disappointed at the level of serive we received. I have traveled the world from Canada to Europe to Asia and Austraila and many other places. I have travelled SAS Air with is deemed to be one of the worst airlines and I feel their customer service excessively surpassed the service we recieved through your airline.
I am a world traveller, and will go out of my way in the future to not take your airline.
I am very sorry that I had to have this experince with your with your airline as I am not a hard to please person.

I would really appreciate your feedback in regards to this experince.
My email is: [email protected]

ChrisH ChrisH is offline

Join Date: Oct 2007
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

Tamara,

I am not trying to stick up for United, but keep the following in mind.

There is a policy that you have to be on board the aircraft by a certain time, usually 10-15 minutes prior to departure. It varies for different airlines, and different airports. The reason for this rule, is that once all of the passengers, and bags, have been loaded, the pilots have to have a count, of each, and perform weight, and balance calculations. If they continue to allow people to board, etc., beyond the cutoff time, the pilots will have to continue to re-do this, and it will lead to a delay. As it is, it can take them 10 minutes to perform all of these calculations, and fill out the required paperwork. This is why there is usually at least a 10 minute cutoff time, and again, in some instances, a greater than 10 minute cutoff time. For example, on large aircraft, carrying larger numbers of passengers, there may be a 15 minute cutoff.

I know it seems crazy that you were only 1.5 minutes late, but unfortunately, the line has to be drawn somewhere. If they extend the cutoff 1.5 minutes, than next time, someone will be 2.5 minutes late, and want it to be extended again, and so on.

I realize that the gate agent told you, you had time to eat, but never go by what the agent says. They don't know just how long it will take your food, etc., to be prepared, how long lines may be at the restaurant, etc.

The agents should have made final boarding calls, which you say they did not. For this, I would call the United custome care line, and explain your situation. They may offer you, and the people you were flying with, a voucher. Writing letters sometimes works, but it is often times better to call, because sometimes the letters do not get read, or they get so many, that they get lost in the process.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:24 PM
neal neal is offline

Join Date: May 2008

im not sticking up for ua either, but i know at ORD if you are eating at a restaurant out of the gate area, you cant hear your name being called, but chris is right.
Old May 28, 2008, 3:33 AM
Tamara Tamara is offline

Join Date: May 2008

Im very sorry to bother you then with this flight complaint. I thought my experience was just delt in an unprofessional matter so I wanted to bring it to someone attention so this matter would not happen to someone else.
Tamara
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:07 AM
ChrisH ChrisH is offline

Join Date: Oct 2007
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

Tamara-

You are not "bothering" anybody with your complaint. You have a right to complain, and let people know what took place. I am just trying to explain why it is that you weren't allowed to board. That part, I will stick up for United about, as ALL airlines have a cutoff time for boarding, which is usually 10-15 minutes prior to the departure time of the flight.

What I will not stick up for United about, is the fact that they treated you rudely, thereafter. It was unprofessional to do so, and you have a legitimate complaint in regards to that.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:08 AM
chriscolombo chriscolombo is offline

Join Date: Dec 2011

In many airports announcements are not audible in food courts, restaurants, or bar areas. Perhaps the gate agents should have told you that as a courtesy, since they work at the airport. On the other hand, it's the responsibility of the passenger to be on the plane at the specified time prior to departure. I hope they United got you out on the next flight. It would have been a nice gesture if they upgraded you, providing space was available.

Reservations canceled my flight then lied about an earlier flight karikay American Airlines Complaints 7 Nov 9, 2008 9:50 PM
Check-in / Boarding Very rude check-in staff at Calgary Airport HKLau Air Canada Complaints 1 Aug 29, 2008 8:33 PM