General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

How are airlines obligated to inform you of a cancellation?

Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:17 PM

I booked a flight with Air India, the first of 4 flights, which was cancelled. Air India never informed me. It turned out the website I had booked through - edreams - had included a notice at the end of a confirmation email, advising me to contact them as a flight had been cancelled, but I never saw it. Would anybody know if an AIRLINE is obliged to tell you, and how - phone / text etc - if they cancel a flight? I therefore missed all of the flights, bought new flights costing 800, and I have received nothing from Air India. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:10 PM

If the airline cancels your flight, you should be able to easily obtain a refund. Try contacting Air India. If you bought your ticket through a "bucket shop" (deeply discounted fare) they will probably refer you back to the issuing agent, but you should still get some refund.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:04 PM

You bought the ticket from a 3rd party and they paid the airline. The first line of defense is that the airline notifies the purchaser of the ticket (in your case the 3rd party) and they inform YOU.. Which it looks like they did but you didn't read the e-mail. Did the airline actually have your contact details?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:48 PM

Originally Posted by azstar View Post
If the airline cancels your flight, you should be able to easily obtain a refund. Try contacting Air India. If you bought your ticket through a "bucket shop" (deeply discounted fare) they will probably refer you back to the issuing agent, but you should still get some refund.
Yes I agree with this. I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case.

Tags
air india, cancellation, cancelled flight, refund