Reservations
COMPLAINT: Won't honor vouchers ("Travel Credit Exchange Coupons")

Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:28 AM
Jim Erickson Jim Erickson is offline

Join Date: Apr 2011

My wife and I were given Travel Credit Exchange Coupons "worth" $400 apiece last year for being willing to relinquish our seats on a flight taking us home. We agreed to wait several hours at the airport and to travel on separate flights home in exchange for these coupons. Now when we try to use these coupons, which are "valid for travel only on United Airlines/United Express only", we find that United Airlines will not accept them for a United Airlines flight if it is "operated by Continental Airlines". This is more than deceptive, for a flight with a United Airlines Flight number is surely a United Airlines flight, whether or not it is subcontracted to another airline. Nowhere on the Travel Credit Exchange Coupon does it say that if a United Airlines flight is operated by another airline, then it does not qualify for travel using such a coupon. I repeat, this is more than deceptive; it is a scam! The worst part is that any non-subcontracted United Airlines flight costs almost twice as much as a sub-contracted one,so that the coupons given us, instead of being worth $400 for each of us, are really only worth about $60 for each of us, if that. Furthermore, a United flight operated by United often is not even available for the travel days desired.

Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:40 PM

Always ask for cash compensation. Airlines are master scammers
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:06 AM
Jim Erickson Jim Erickson is offline

Join Date: Apr 2011

I didn't know they would offer cash.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:53 AM

It is less than the vouchers, but you can at least spend cash. Vouchers can only be redeemed on the first Tuesday of any month with a z in it
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:50 AM

Jim is wishing upon a shooting star. Cash is not offered as an option for this type of compensation in 99.9% of cases.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:36 PM

I got a cheque for $250 to give up my seat to London Gatwick from Charlotte, NC from US Airways!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:09 PM

Which is why I left a .1% opening cuz it happens but rare, rare rare. Normally on international flights only and only then as a last resort.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:42 AM

That's me! Mr 0.1%
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:52 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

Had the OP NOT given up his seats, but was then denied boarding--due to overbooking--THEN he would have been entitled to cash compensation. Judge, am I right?

As to Jim's check: I suspect that was a function of EU regulations rather than any fit of generosity on the part of US Airways.
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:29 AM

You, sir, are 100% correct! (If the passenger was not able to be accommodated to reach his/her destination within 4 hours of originally scheduled arrival time, if memory serves me)
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:58 PM
wmcfirewater wmcfirewater is offline

Join Date: Apr 2011

THATS RIGHT THESE GUYS DONT HONER THE VOUCHERS SO--IF YOU ARE EVER ASKED TO GIVE UP YOUR SEATS (((dont do it))) LET THEM TAKE THE FINE!! YOU WILL GET MORE SATISFACTION KNOWING THEY DIDNT SCREW YOU THEY SCREWED THEM SELFS BY OVERBOOKING!!AND IT IS A STIFF FINE!!I WAS ONCE NICE AND GAVE UP OUR SEATS FOR THEM WE GOT 1800.00 IN VOUCHERS!!YOU KNOW I HAVE BEEN TO IAD 3 TIMES SPENT 75.00 IN FUEL 7 HOURS OF MY TIME AND 34.00 IN PARKING AND STILL HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REDEEM --ON TOP OF BEING TALKED TO LIKE A TRANSIENT BY THERE SUPERVISER(((NORA-ABBY)))AT IAD AND I HAVE TO SAY!!I HOPE I SEE THIS ONE ONE DAY AWAY FROM THE PLACE SHE DISRESPECTED ME!!! WARLOCKS M/C 1%ER
Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:01 PM
wmcfirewater wmcfirewater is offline

Join Date: Apr 2011

DO NOT SUPPORT THIS AIRLINE---THEY WONT TAKE CARE OF YOU!!
Originally Posted by wmcfirewater View Post
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:26 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy Slept Here View Post

Federal guidelines are clearer regarding compensation and type when a passengers is "involuntarily" bumped.

More flexibility is allowed when a passenger "volunteers" to be bumped. Compensation is normally in the form of travel voucher because that's easiest and cheapest for the airline. Airlines can, and do, offer cash compensation in lieu of vouchers.

By law, voluntary or involuntary, the airline MUST refund the cost of transportation if that's what the passenger requests.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:04 PM
tmac58 tmac58 is offline

Join Date: Jul 2011

I had the same problem Jim Erickson had. United was all too willing to give me 400.00 in vouchers after my wife and I sacrificed our seats for 2 families to travel, while we waited several hours for another flight. That's the last time I'll ever do that! When I went to redeem my vouchers, I selected a r/t flight off of the UNITED site which was operated by US Airways, and they told me that I couldn't use the vouchers for that. Mind you, the r/t flight using USAIR was 300.00. Similar flights via United/United Express was over 600.00. I could have bought a cheaper flight w/o the vouchers right from USAIR! They were unbending. They even went on to say that the voucher says that right on it, and I told him that passengers who get bumped don't even get the vouchers until after their flight (they were bumped from) has left! So now they're stuck... It's a scam, and I would warn anyone thinking about getting voluntarily bumped off of a United Flight to THINK TWICE because there are hidden restrictions they conveniently fail to tell you about when you try to redeem the vouchers. Definitely not worth the inconvenience. And here I was thinking I was doing them a favor! Nice guys do finish LAST! Certainly a SCAM by United, for sure!

Last edited by tmac58; Jul 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM.