Reservations
COMPLAINT: Second leg flight dropped....now six hour layover and Delta won't change it.

Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:31 AM
Keystone Cruiser Keystone Cruiser is offline

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I discovered last Sunday that Delta had dropped a flight that I was scheduled to be on from Detroit to Portland. They moved me to a later flight BUT they did not change the first leg of my trip from Columbus to Detroit. I was originally scheduled to fly from Columbus to Detroit at 6:00 a.m. and arrive in DTW at 8:00 a.m. My original flight from Detroit to Portland was at 10:30 a.m. and arriving in Portland around 1:00 p.m.

NOW, I am still leaving Columbus at 6:00 a.m. but not flying out of Detroit until 2:00 p.m.... a six hour layover in Detroit. I have emailed Delta THREE times since Sunday and have received NO response. Although it will still put me Portland much later than originally planned (4:00 p.m instead of 12:30), I am willing to accept that if the layover wasn't so long. There are 11:00 and 12:00 flights from Columbus to Detroit that would be ok but Delta wants to charge a large fee to make the switch when it was they that cancelled the first leg of my trip. (ideally, I would like to switch to a different itinerary that goes through LGA and puts me in Portland at the time I originally planned, but that is way too much of a change fee when it is not my fault.)

It is interesting that Delta is not responding to my emails quickly (as they say they do) with the clock ticking toward my flight date. Amazing.

Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:07 PM
Keystone Cruiser Keystone Cruiser is offline

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Delta finally replied to my email after three attempts. They of course responded to it completely different than my complaint.

Delta gave me a long story about how flight cancellations are determined and that my comments would be forwarded on to the scheduling department for future decisions. Not one comment about my issue....the fact that they will not honor their policy and move me to either a later flight from CMH to DTW or to another flight to Portland. My arrival in Portland has been moved 4 hours later.

Here is my response to Delta (and their policy from their website):

To whom it may concern:
You completely missed the point of my email and complaint. It is not about the canceling of my flight from Detroit to Portland, it is the fact that I cannot make any changes to it without an increased fee when the cancellation is of Delta's doing and not mine.

Frankly, I don't really care why the flight was changed as I understand that those things happen and have no problem with that. The problem is that you won't honor your own policies for changing flights when those changes occur. It is obvious that you put things down on your web site, but really try to find ways to avoid those policies when they actually occur.

According to your own web site information, if a flight change causes your arrival to be more than an hour you can select an alternate flight at no additional charge. When I try to make this change (either to move the CMH to DTW flight later OR to change to another flight to Portland through LGA which would get me to Portland around my original scheduled time of arrival, the system won't allow the change. The only thing I can figure is that my reservation for the flight to Portland was divided into two flights (as opposed to one flight with two legs as it was when I booked) so that you could avoid your own rules.

From the Delta website:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:

•Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same

•Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees

•Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees

Customer Service Delta at fault for 7 hour delay Don Williamson Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Jun 28, 2013 6:37 PM
Reservations Flight change, no notification, 7 hour layover! onholiday Reservations 2 Aug 3, 2012 6:28 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Switched to overnight layover flight ogiebjl Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Aug 1, 2012 11:09 PM
Overcharge for change in flight by DELTA RyanC Delta Air Lines Complaints 3 May 30, 2012 6:50 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked The 6 1/2 hour ---50 minute flight Chixsngr American Airlines Complaints 0 May 30, 2007 5:43 AM