COMPLAINT: Not Allowed Accommodation For My Medical Equipment

Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:55 PM
namestartswithn namestartswithn is offline

Join Date: Oct 2017

My mom booked my girlfriend and I two basic economy tickets to get back to NY from our trip to another state. I rely on a BiPAP machine at night and it just barely fit United's basic economy carry-on rules.

I contacted United and complained. As it was I had to choose between taking my equipment and taking "luxuries" like a change of clothes or any toiletries. United said I could take my medical equipment, but in return would only be allowed a personal item. When I got really steamed and asked for a refund, they told me I was free to cancel the flight and receive my money back.

I'm a longtime disability advocate, and people with disabilities should be allowed to fly without their medically necessary equipment counting against their bag limits in any way.

I filed a complaint with US DOT and will not fly United again. Nowhere was it explained to my poor mother that United's limits were so restrictive. She booked via Expedia.

baggage, disability, expedia, united, usdot

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked More than 12 hour overnight delay due to equipment problem, meal voucher only compunuke Spirit Airlines Complaints 9 Mar 19, 2014 6:39 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 4 Hour Delay for Unknown Equipment Swap Flight #4676 9/7/12 mmaciekowich United Airlines Complaints 0 Sep 8, 2012 2:55 PM
EasyJet declined to allow Medical Equipment onboard on a 30% empty flight psaraph easyJet Complaints 1 Jul 2, 2012 4:58 PM
Customer Service Delta lies about hotel accommodation, leaves customer stranded KNicholas Delta Air Lines Complaints 3 Nov 10, 2010 11:51 AM
Customer Service Sportsman's Class Action vs Soothwest for lost equipment whyrob Southwest Airlines Complaints 0 Oct 20, 2007 10:13 PM