Old May 25, 2008, 11:45 PM
perella perella is offline

Join Date: May 2008
Unhappy Pay up front $100 to use credit from cancelled flight

I was unable to fly with my son on reservations confirmation code BTBMUP on March 31st 2008 booked online with Frontier Airlines due to unexpected obligations. I called to cancel and was told I had a full year to use my credit of $1122.82, without any mention of restrictions or additional charges that may apply. I called today to use a portion of my credit but was told I had to pay an additional $100 as a cancellation fee up front and that it could not be taken from the credit. Also I could only use my portion of the ticket value and not my sons portion on future credit use even though the ticket was purchased on my credit card. This is unbelieveable and I feel as if I have had my money stolen from me. Other airlines I use have applied the $100 or less cancellation fees toward the credit and make using your credit easy and leave me feeling secure to continue flying with them. I felt very intimidated talking with Frontier and at no time did she try to refer me to a manager or show any concern for my frustration.

This has to be illegal! How can they tell you to pay $100 to use your refund $$$? I fly 50% and never met with this type of restriction.
Old May 26, 2008, 1:16 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

Probably no airline--in the world--will allow you to use someone else's ticket without you first paying some kind of service charge. As unfair as it may seem, it doesn't matter even if you paid for the ticket.

Few airlines in North America will allow a "name change" to a ticket. Jet Blue is one of the few that DO allow it--and even then it's a round-about process. If you were in the same situation with Jet Blue, you would first have to agree to forfeit $100 out of the value of your son's ticket. The remaining balance would be transfered to what amounts to a "store credit." On Jet Blue that "store credit" may then be transferred to ANYONE.

European airlines seem more lenient on name changes. Air Berlin (which offers service from the USA) WILL allow a name change anytime prior to departure (on the first flight.) However, the change can only be done over the phone, not on-line. Also, there is probably a service change.

Again, as stated by myself and others: A FULLY REFUNDABLE ticket will keep you out of these problems.

Perhaps, someday, people will be able to get SOME of their money refunded on "non-refundable" tickets. To pay $1,000+, and never be able to get ANY of that money back is, I agree, extreme. I'm sure a $100 service charge would more than compensate airlines for processing refunds.
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]

Last edited by Butch Cassidy Slept Here; May 26, 2008 at 4:14 AM. Reason: typos

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked AA Cancelled our Flights, Their Response: Flight Doesn't Exist AmericanAirIsFullOfCrap American Airlines Complaints 5 Jan 5, 2014 4:57 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight Cancelled, Rude Staff, Weak Compensation nur American Airlines Complaints 4 Jun 17, 2008 6:50 PM
Baggage Problems Cancelled Flight, missing luggage Harold Reed Baggage Problems 1 Oct 8, 2007 6:47 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Only Rochester, NY Flight to JFK Cancelled thompki Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Sep 8, 2007 7:42 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight cancelled, no warning, Expedia had to resolve audress Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Apr 14, 2007 4:23 AM