COMPLAINT: Delayed then rebooked onto budget airline

Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:09 PM
AdamHoge AdamHoge is offline

Join Date: Sep 2017

Here's what I sent to Singapore airlines about a week ago:

Dear Singapore Airlines,

We have flown with your airline for many years exclusively. We travel from Perth to Zurich via Singapore return quite often (maybe 5 times in the last 6 years). My wife is Swiss and we will be travelling this route for the next 20+ years many times, sometimes to live in Switzerland for a while and sometimes for holidays around Christmas time. As the service aboard the aircraft is amazing we have never even considered trying another airline until recently.

Our booking number was 46U6WI. We were due to fly out of Zurich at 11:45 on Wednesday 30th August 2017. Due to an issue with a plane the flight was delayed 4 hours and left at 15:45. At Zurich the check in staff advised our connecting flight to Perth had been re-booked to Scoot airlines flight TR8 leaving 12:10 on 31st August (booking ref: ZZN4TE).

The service aboard the Scoot was nothing like we were used to aboard Singapore Airlines. There was no entertainment system which left our 3 year old quite bored and disruptive. We had to argue with staff to obtain a meal without paying and they were not prepared to offer a children's meal to my son. He ended up with an adult's meal which he did not eat. On this airline there were no pillows, blankets or adjustable head/neck rests. We were told we could have 1 drink with our meal, and we would have to pay for the rest.

We arrived in Perth around 17:20 which was 5 hours after the original booked flight. My elderly parents were due to pick us up and drive us to their house in Bindoon (1 hour north of Perth). They were happy to do this at the original arrival time close to midday, but since the drive was in the evening with traffic and darkness my father's eyesight meant he couldn't drive. Subsequently after 24 hours in transit I had to drive us.

This return flight has been a major inconvenience for us, and was a downgrade to the standard we expected and paid for with Singapore Airlines. We paid for a premium experience and got a budget no frills airline experience aboard Scoot. Travelling with a 3 year old is difficult enough, not to mention all the delays and changes.

We would like to offer Singapore Airlines the opportunity to retain our future business and feel a full refund of both flights is compensation for the 5 hour delay in arrival time plus the change from premium to budget service aboard Scoot. My friends and family have flown other airlines and have recommended Emirates as an alternative as they claim the service and standards are the same as Singapore airlines and the tickets are slightly cheaper. We sincerely hope Singapore Airlines values our past business of $10,000+ of tickets purchased in the last six years, plus the value of our continued business years into the future.

Kind regards

I got a reply today saying they would send a gift basket to us. Nice gesture but 4 hour delay plus being downgraded to a budget airline should warrant something more substantial. If they cannot offer me something reasonable we will be flying Emirates and Etihad from now on.

singapore airlines

In-flight Issue Air NZ turns expensive budget airline apteryx Other Airline Complaints 0 Nov 22, 2015 11:38 PM
BMI Baby - Budget airline complaint (BMI) Mark Williams Other Airline Complaints 2 Feb 4, 2012 4:34 PM