Reservations Had a problem making, or with, any Reservations?

Old Feb 26, 2010, 7:42 PM
smurrow smurrow is offline

Join Date: Feb 2010
Default Continental Disses Star Alliance Gold members

Well, Continental joined the Star Alliance last October and employees at United Airlines (where I am a 1K) have been telling us we will have "all of the privileges of elite status". Not according to Continental! After having been unable to change the horrible seats I was assigned on an upcoming flight, I contacted continental's Customer Service dept. They answered me 3 days later and told me "Unfortunately, the premium seating is reserved for our OnePass "Elite" members and is released to all members 24 hours prior to flight departure." It is bad enough they don't have the economy plus seating like United does, but now I have to sit in the back of the plane also? Won't be flying Continental again.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

Continental is going to give their own "elite" members priority, before those members of other airline, even if they are a member of the Star Alliance. Continental does offer elite privelages to Star Alliance Gold members, such as free bags, pre-boarding, etc., but seating in premium seats is still given to Continental's own OnePass Elite members first.

If you don't want to fly Continental because of that, good, because likely they don't want to deal with your complaining about it, anyway. All passengers on an airplane arrive at the same time, and SOMEONE has to sit in the back of the plane. I don't get why people complain about seating. If only somehow the airlines could put all of the seats up front.

You do know that is pretty much the same on any airline. You do know likely United will not give a Continental OnePass elite customer premium seats, over you, despite being Star Alliance. They will get perks, but not premium seating. The airlines are still going to cater that to their OWN elite, which makes sense if you stop and think about it. But, to each their own.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
smurrow smurrow is offline

Join Date: Feb 2010

You bring up a good point--I am not sure what United's policy is, so I will ask next Monday when I'm at the airport. However, I find it interesting that the few times I traveled on another Star Alliiance carrier during the past year or so, I DID get priority seating. I thought you must be a flight attendant when I read your post, until I got to the part that said "I don't get why people complain about seating." I am a business traveler who has been a 100,000 mile flyer on United for 9 years. Currently, I fly over halfway across the country and back every other week. Why do I want to be in the front of the plane? Because that is where other "business travelers" generally sit, meaning it is less likely that I will be seated next to a screaming infant or in front of a toddler who kicks the seat for the entire 4 hours while I am trying to work. And when I get to my destination, yes, I want to be able to grab my bag and get OFF of the plane as soon as possible in order to get to the rental car or get to my car to go home. Waiting an extra 15-20 minutes for rows 1-25 to get off the plane is more time out of my day that is wasted. If I flew a couple times a year, then it wouldn't matter--but when you fly as much as I do, yes, it does matter.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

Forgive me if my first post came across a little rude. I am not sure what Continental, or Uniteds policy is regarding Star Alliance Gold, and seating. I only know that Continental does offer perks to Star Alliance Gold, such as the free bags, preboarding, etc. I would assume, however, that these airline which are part of the Star Alliance, still will give priority, such as seating, to THEIR own frequent flyer elite memebers, AND THEN the Star Alliance Gold members, who are elite members of another airline's frequent flyer program. It just seems to make sense that you would give your own frequent travelers at least some priority, such as seating, considering they do the most direct business with your company, rather than someone who is elite with United, but happens to be flying Continental this time, or on a code share flight.

Do check into United's policy, because it would be interesting to see if United would assign premium seating, to say a Continental elite, but Continental will not do it for a United elite.

Again, I didn't mean my first post to come across as rude. I understand business travelers, especially those like yourself, who travel often, want a quicker exit from the aircraft, and more comfortable seating, etc.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:27 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Default Really???

ChrisH wrote...

I don't get why people complain about seating.

So you're saying that seating across from the toilets or the galley on a trans-con, or trans-Atlantic flight, is no different from seating elsewhere in the aircraft??
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:05 AM

We actually had 2 seats on 3 particular (now retired) 747's that were blocked from use they were so bad. They did not recline and actually had less legroom then the other seats. I think they were 44d and e on the beach configuration that was used exclusively on the HNL-NRT route. These 3 aircraft were configured differently than all other 747's and had 454 total seats.

Back to the point, these 2 seats were NOT to be given out to revenue customers, only airline staff, if there were no other seats left, they were that bad.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:30 AM

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy Slept Here View Post
ChrisH wrote...

I don't get why people complain about seating.

No, I did not say that. I don't necessarily want to sit at those spots, either. BUT, sometimes flights are full, and SOMEONE will have to sit there. There are people that angry when they get seated in a middle seat, or when they are in the back of the airplane, and their seats cannot be changed, due to a full flight. My point, is that people should be happy to have a seat, and happy to get to their destination. Flying is a means of transportation. Yes, some seats are more comfortable/appealing than others, but in the end, it needs to be understood that flights are going to fill up, and if you book a ticket at the last minute, or do not get pre assigned seats, it is likely you will not have much selection.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:23 AM

The chances are that the customer who buys a seat at the last minute will have paid a VERY high price for this ticket and by a very large margin compared to other flyers. To then be given the middle seat, next to the toilets, separated from your travelling companion is irritating. What you describe is a reality, and passengers accept this every day. You are right to point out that this is inevitable. Where you are wrong is when you make a further demand on the passenger. Not only is the passenger required to accept it, but they must also be "happy" about it. That is a ridiculous demand and you appear to have a complete lack of understanding or customer focus. Put yourself in the same position in buying any other product. If you buy a car, you want to get the best price with the highest specification you for your money. That is all the customer is trying to do.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:24 PM

Default Continental to end "free" upgrade to premium seats

Ok, folks. Beginning March 17, Continental will begin to charge for those coach seats they classify as "premium" seating, price depending on duration of flight, market and "other factors". So the issue of star alliance vs elite status flyers vying for these seats will soon become a non-issue. Perhaps soon, they will also charge an additional premium for these seats when they introduce a hot meal vs. the cold standard fare. Just more ways for the airline to milk as much revenue as possible from it's customers. Do I see pay toilets in the near future?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

I was going to post that as well. Beginning March 17th, no longer will you sit in an exit row, on Continental Airlines, without paying for it. As stated above, the price will depend on the duration of the flight, market, etc. The example given in the article I read said a flight from Newark (EWR) to Houston (IAH), would cost $59 to sit in the exit row.

Expect the other major carriers to follow. I am glad I am getting out of the airline industry, while I can. This is getting ridiculous. I understand the airlines need to make money, they are a business, but even as an employee/former employee, this starts to get a bit ridiculous. Especially when I am the one who has to tell the customer that there will be a $59 fee if they wish to sit in that exit row, that was free just the week before.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:11 PM

Join Date: Mar 2010

Not to mention that this will also pose an inconvenience to the handicapped and those in need of premium bulkhead seating due to a physical ailment. Unless Continental is willing to make a concession to those in need of these seats, it just poses a further hardship for them.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:27 AM

People with disabilities should not be in exit row seats anyway surely? However, this policy, which is already in effect in some European airlines and US based low costs leads to some odd anomolies. For example, if the airline doesn't sell enough "premium seats" and has a full flight, they are forced to put passengers in the premium seats at the lower price. Thus the person sitting next to them feels utterly ripped off.

This model of aiming for the ancilliary revenues becoming the major source of income for an airline will eventually lead to a market response. Simple pricing without all the rip-offs... lets hope so. Southwest is the closest, lets hope it stays that way...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:41 AM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
People with disabilities should not be in exit row seats anyway surely?
I wasn't referring to "exit row" seats. If you reread my post you will see that I was referring to "bulkhead" seating, which has traditionally been reserved for the handicapped and physically ailing.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:13 PM
sammeke33 sammeke33 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2010
Question star alliance lounge in newark???

hi, i was just wondering if you guys know what the best lounge is for me to enter at newark terminal c...being star alliance gold and lufthansa senator...i've been unable to locate any as such which is very frustrating...

REPORT: Delta Air Lines has been caught ridiculing its customers here AirlineComplaints.org Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Feb 9, 2018 3:05 PM
Customer Service Alaska MVP Gold turns to Southwest Airlines [email protected] Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 18 Oct 29, 2009 4:13 PM
Baggage Problems Star Alliance Incompetence Zak Air Canada Complaints 11 Feb 16, 2009 11:02 AM
Frequent Flyer Program Subtle Cutbacks in MVP Gold Benefits AirTraveler Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 2 Dec 14, 2008 3:25 AM
Suggestion Delta Air Lines has been caught ridiculing our members here. AirlineComplaints.org Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Sep 11, 2007 11:53 PM