COMPLAINT: Southwest took my money, yet I don't fly

Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:48 PM
StuckInDenver StuckInDenver is offline

Join Date: Sep 2013

I wanted to share a story of Southwest Airlines so others do not run into the same mess I did. Southwest Airlines has always been my airline of choice..UNTIL NOW. I had to cancel a trip last year for my spouse and I and was credited the money to use within a year, which is coming up on Sept 19th. I went to the website to book a trip for myself to use the credit within the 1 year to book a flight to Portland. Interestingly, the web site only allows me access to the funds from my ticket, but not hers because it is in her name, despite the fact that I paid for the 2 tickets. She is willing to release the funds and could speak to someone right now, but Southwest Airlines won't allow that either. So, my choices are that I am stuck paying an additional $400 of my money to buy the ticket OR I am out nearly $600 if I don't fly anywhere this weekend. There is no acceptable solution from the customer service rep who barely spoke English, nor was there an acceptable solution from the Manager I spoke with. Now, I have requested the time off of work, am out nearly $600 that I spent last year and no trip. This feels like robbery. I will NEVER fly Southwest Airlines again.

Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:59 PM

Tickets are non-transferable. It could be sugarcoated to make it sound nicer but that's the bottom line. Her ticket is hers, yours is yours, no matter who paid for them.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:06 PM
StuckInDenver StuckInDenver is offline

Join Date: Sep 2013

Judge, I get it and the reason behind it. What I do not get is the lack of common sense used. If the person that owns the ticket (my spouse) offers me the credit since I paid for it and I she cannot travel this weekend, yhat answer should suffice for the airline. Common sense and common courtesy should trump hard fast rules over the bottom dollar.

credit, refund, southwest, unfair

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked stole my money gogogrady Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 0 Jun 29, 2013 5:03 PM
Customer Service Stolen money from bank Captain1000 Lufthansa Complaints 0 Jun 4, 2013 8:27 PM
Customer Service Why is us air able to keep my money. Oogamanow Customer Service 9 Jul 3, 2012 2:45 AM
Customer Service Hold your money! Chev Southwest Airlines Complaints 2 Dec 5, 2008 12:36 PM
Reservations Do not use aa.com, you may loose a lot of money oscarg American Airlines Complaints 8 Nov 25, 2008 11:59 AM