Rapid Rewards Complaints

Have you tried using your miles or elite status but encountered problems? Had any problems earning mileage?

Frequent Flyer Program
rewards prg

Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:37 PM

Ad on Southwest site indicates on their "REWARD PROGRAM" "It's your last chance to get closer to that well-deserved spring getaway. Buy what you need and earn 35% bonus points on your purchase." That's great! However has anyone bought these points? The point to dollar ratio is grossly uneven. To purchase 60,000 points it is $1,800 (which includes 2100 in additional points). To then use the points for travel eg: I was purchasing 3 round trip tickets in dollars equaled $ 1,200. To use points for the same round trip 71,000 points. So the trip instead of me spending 1200 is costing me $1,800. A $600 dollar overcharge.
Can someone explain to me how this is a "REWARD".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:06 PM

The whole reason for mileage point purchase programs is that you ONLY purchase points if you already HAVE points and are just short of the points needed to cash in for rewards... it was NEVER intended for you to BUY the total number of points for the reward ticket.

Airlines specifically introduced this at customer request from people with 68,000 points who JUST needed another few thousand to reach the required point level and were not intending to do any paid travel to earn the points needed. You NEVER buy the whole value of the ticket in points. It doesn't matter WHAT airline you are flying.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook