Customer Service
COMPLAINT: SWA Customer Survice Reply -- would you approve?

Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:20 PM

I recently wrote to SWA Customer Service:

"In general I like the new Evolve interiors, but I understand that the seat pitch has been reduced to just 31 inches. What accommodation can be provided to travelers like me who measure 33 inches from kneecap to stern. On my last SWA flight, the three remaining exist row seats were occupied by short people who wanted more room."

SWA Customer Service responded:

Thank you for your e-mail. As you've heard, we recently began rolling out the plans to retro-fit our Boeing 737-700 series aircraft with EVOLVE: The New Southwest Interior. This eco-friendly, cost-efficient new look for our cabin emphasizes Customer comfort and personal space while maximizing the room inside our planes. We began retro-fitting our Boeing 737-700 aircraft with the new interior in March, 2012, and we anticipate this project to be completed by the end of 2013.

Our sleek, new interior was crafted using recycled materials to maximize personal space, while enhancing the Customer experience. Among the various comfort-driven features are adapted seats (designed to foster improved posture and lumbar spine support) and fixed winged headrests for superior neck and head alignment—a gift to our cat nappers. Thinner armrests mean a little more room between seats on the same row, and the lowered seats should make it easier for the average Customer to stretch his/her legs. Another huge positive is, with each plane weighing less, we have drastically reduced fuel consumption and emissions making our aircraft hugely eco-friendly. Of course, if you believe that you may require special assistance onboard the aircraft, please feel free to speak with one of our Customer Service Agents at the departure gate.
You can learn more about EVOLVE here. We truly value your patronage, and we look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,
Jordan, Southwest Airlines

If you were Jordan's boss, would you approve of his performance?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:39 PM

What a ridiculous reply from Southwest!

The new "Devolve" seats are terrible! The bottom line is that they have added 2 rows of seats to the aircraft. They claim to have preserved legroom with the thinner seats, but that is not the case. The seats are also more uncomfortable. I used to enjoy flying Southwest. Now, the seats are more cramped and very uncomfortable. Because of this, I fly WN only when I have to (dictated by route), and I limit it to 1 hour maximum flights.

Our sleek, new interior was crafted using recycled materials to maximize personal space, while enhancing the Customer experience. Among the various comfort-driven features are adapted seats (designed to foster improved posture and lumbar spine support)
I have found the new seats to be less comfortable. My back aches after sitting in them for 1/2 hour. One always seems to want to recline, but the recline angle is insufficient.

and fixed winged headrests for superior neck and head alignment—a gift to our cat nappers.
The seats do not recline enough for the head to be in a proper position for sleeping.

Thinner armrests mean a little more room between seats on the same row,
How can thinner armrests mean more room between seats? It means LESS room between seats, and that is what I have noticed. If you or the person next to you has broad shoulders, there is going to be a problem.

and the lowered seats should make it easier for the average Customer to stretch his/her legs.
Umm, when I stretch my legs under the seat in front, my shins hit the metal frame of the seat in front. This is a SAFETY issue. Heavy turbulence or similar could cause someone to break their legs or severely bruise their shin bones.

Another huge positive is, with each plane weighing less, we have drastically reduced fuel consumption and emissions making our aircraft hugely eco-friendly.
Then why haven't they lowered their fares accordingly?

Of course, if you believe that you may require special assistance onboard the aircraft, please feel free to speak with one of our Customer Service Agents at the departure gate.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:41 AM

Jordan's skill appears to be cutting and pasting pre written paragraphs into a letter. It is a pity Jordan doesn't have any reading skills to match, so that he can cut and paste replies which actually answer the complaint raised.