COMPLAINT: Bad policy, worse customer service

Old May 9, 2013, 1:36 PM
Frequentlyflies Frequentlyflies is offline

Join Date: May 2013

Southwest is the WORST of all major carriers in accommodating passengers when they could do so at no cost to their company. I found out this week that if you want to stand by for an earlier flight with space available, SWA demands significant additional payment. Even with unused, wasted seats and a ticket already paid for a later flight, they refused to even consider letting me travel 2 hours earlier.

In addition, when I called their reservations line, an automated system suggested I let them call me back rather than wait on hold, with a "promise" that my place in line would be held. I decided to test the system. I opted for the return call, hung up and waited on hold to have a "race" between the two methods. By holding for the next agent I was connected in less than 3 minuets. The return call came through about an HOUR an FIFTEEN minutes later!

When I told the return caller-agent of my dissatisfaction, she suggested I call Customer Relations in Dallas. I did, and rather than own up to any kind of deficiency, CR justified everything. It seems SWA cannot accept responsibility for anything in terms of policy, customer satisfaction, or their own computer systems. Every company has the right to set their own fare policies, but this is an area where they can elect (or not) to help out their customers who have already paid for a ticket. Unused seats on an earlier flight are "free" to the airline to let a paying passenger use. SWA chooses for some fare classes, to stick it to the customer.

Old May 10, 2013, 7:08 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

Originally Posted by Frequentlyflies View Post
If you reached a live operator in three minutes why would you care how long it took the second call to arrive? Sounds to me like you are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

On the issue of stand by ... this has been a LUV policy since God invented dirt. I also don't see that you're out anything. More or less, you seem to be complaining that McDonalds wouldn't sell you a bucket of KFC.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:30 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

And while I'm still thinking about it ... the legacies charge a fee to standby, I think $50 for most with UAL at $75.

And LUV allows standby for business select and anytime fares, so you could have spent the extra $50 for anytime and been able to standby.

If you aren't willing to spend the money for the perk, you can't really complain about not receiving the perk.

Customer Service Bad Experience Made Much, Much Worse by Customer Service PaulS Air Canada Complaints 0 Jun 1, 2012 9:36 PM
Customer Service Poor Customer Service, Does Not Follow Policy! lexiegram Delta Air Lines Complaints 6 Jun 29, 2011 6:19 PM
Customer Service Poor Customer Service & Dubious Policy Moonglum Customer Service 6 Oct 4, 2010 7:23 PM
Baggage Problems Luggage Pricing Policy, and Customer Svc Art Henry Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 8 Jan 12, 2010 5:10 AM
Customer Service AirTran has the WORSE Customer Service!!! stephanderson Customer Service 7 Aug 5, 2009 7:12 AM