COMPLAINT: Boarded, Deplaned, Moved, Reboarded 3x in 15 DAYS

Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:24 PM

Join Date: Apr 2012

When did United start sucking so badly? Last night, several hundred people and their bags were deplaned so we could be moved to a plane that wasn't broken. That was the THIRD time in 15 DAYS that I was was deplaned and moved to a plane that wasn't broken (4/4, FLT 584, LAX-IAD; 4/10, FLT 728, ORD-IAD; 4/18, FLT 366, SFO-IAD).

Do you know how much value I'm placing on your frequent flyer miles right now? None, particularly since you generally can't fly anywhere for 25K miles and Premier status doesn't mean what it used to (e.g., I can't reserve economy plus at time of booking). I just want to get home on time for once.

To make matters worse, I tried to file this complaint while I waited for a United representative to try to figure out how to open the system so we could board the new plane. Guess what? After filling out the form in its entirety, I got this message. "We're sorry, but United.com was unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. Please try later or call 1-800-396-1751 for assistance." It seems nothing works at United.

Seriously, if you were in my shoes, would you fly your airline? What a joke! I regret that I'd already booked another flight with you.

Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:38 AM

Join Date: Dec 2011

So you would prefer to fly on the broken plane or take a longer delay waiting for it to be repaired?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:13 AM

Originally Posted by xjcaptain View Post
I find it interesting that an airline employee would find this kind of flying experience acceptable. That kind of service usually results in companies going out of business. Perhaps you should polish your resume.

Delays happen. However, I do not expect extended delays on three consecutive trips, all within 15 days, and all for mechanical problems. I expect an airline to do a much better job with its plane maintenance. Also, it would expedite things if United could figure out that it needed another plane before it boarded everyone. Do the math. 30 minutes to board and stow luggage, 20 minutes to get everyone off, time spent finding another aircraft, 30 minutes to reboard, and then another 30 minutes or so waiting for the checked bags to be loaded.

Those were not the only delays I've experience on United recently. Those were just the only ones that resulted in a boarding, deplaning, finding another plane, reboarding process. I've been delayed on United 5 times in 6 trips this year.

Reliability has become a much more important criteria for me in making future purchase plans. Perhaps you don't place the same value on it because you get an employee discount that dulls the pain caused by the delays. Folks looking for reliability should look elsewhere.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:08 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

I'll bet you wouldn't expect to get a flat tire on the way to work, or delayed by traffic accidents in front of you on the freeway, but they happen.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst. Life's works better that way.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:22 PM

The classic "so would you prefer to fly on a broken plane" response to any complaint of technical difficulties is ridiculous. There is an alarming trend in US avaition to allow airlines to consolidate into huge behemoths, which have huge monopoly hubs and work against the interests of travellers and frankly their employees. This site and others are rife with numerous complaints of problems associated with this anti-competitive merger... complaints in customer services, processing of complaints, handling of baggage, delays, cancellations and re-routing without being notified. Instead of acknowleding the validity of the concerns and complaints of previously loyal customers such as this one, he is instead subjected to the kind of snarky response of xjcaptain and gromit....and this typifies the problem in this industry. Not only does it not respond to customer experience, it abuses them when they do complain. This industry needs to be broken up... it is the modern day equivalent of the "robber barons" and illustrates perfectly what happens when companies get too big to fail.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:57 PM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
BLAH..BLAH...BLAH...

Your response had nothing to do with the fact that it was mechanical problems. The aircraft has no idea how many other airplanes are owned by the company. They are incredibly complex machines and these things happen. You should appreciate that they WILL NOT put schedule ahead of safety which is more likely to happen at the small carriers you seem to want. As usual the people who complain the loudest when there are delays also complain the most when an incident happens. They say they should have not flown in that particular condition, weather or with a maintenance problem. I guess as a captain i'm more concerned for your and my own safety than your are. Its very obvious that you like to complain but do not possesses the technical knowledge of what is going on behind ths scenes during these situations.

I hope you don't confuse facts with "snarkiness". Delays and mechanicals happen and often switching aircraft its the quickest solution to minimize the delay and inconvenience to the passengers. A solution that is often not possible at carriers that are too small to have adequate spares available.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:02 PM

Join Date: Dec 2011

To answer the earlier qiestion, I do not work for unical.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gromit801 View Post

Hope for the best and plan for the worst. Life's works better that way.
What a terrible analogy. If my car broke down every time I tried to get home from work, I would get a different car. If my car got a flat tire every time I drove home, I would try a different route home. If my airline is unreliable, I will try another one. If they are all unreliable, I'll drive.

If my car only breaks down occasionally, I'll deal with the inconveniences without complaining. If I am occasionally delayed by an airline, I don't waste my time complaining in online forums. I took my time to register my complaint because I found the level of service completely unacceptable. Perhaps the flying public cannot expect to receive better service because airline employees and their sympathizers find their current level of service acceptable.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:08 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

And you haven't been booted off a flight EVERY TIME you've tried to fly either.
Your exaggerating really kills your complaint.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
scbjrg scbjrg is offline

Join Date: Apr 2012

I live in Australia and have always flown qantas to the US. United offered a "better Deal" and out of two international and six domestics EVERYONE, was cancelled, rerouted, delayed,planes swapped. etc. That is a 100% screw up rate from my point of view. O and then there was the downright rudeness when a flight attendant told me "to bad there is always tommorow" when I told him i needed tomake connceting flights cuz my mother was dieing. Serioulsy not good enough and any business that delivers service like that deserves to fail

broken plane, delay, deplaned, website down

Check-in / Boarding Seats moved Michael Bennane Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Nov 8, 2011 12:18 AM
Check-in / Boarding Boarded a plane with someone else's boarding pass!! and then get kicked off!! whizzkid10 Check-in / Boarding 0 Jun 27, 2011 9:30 PM
Check-in / Boarding Southwest pre-boarded all the white children and left my family in line Alley Southwest Airlines Complaints 4 Dec 25, 2010 2:41 AM
Check-in / Boarding Continental staffer deplaned me Pankaj American Airlines Complaints 0 Nov 29, 2010 4:50 PM
Bmi Baby: moved flight doogiedog Other Airline Complaints 4 Aug 27, 2010 10:20 AM