Customer Service
COMPLAINT: A power drunk FA and the poor man

Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:56 PM

So Federal authorities are willing to devote a lot of time to "potty crime," or, crapping out of your class. See this article:

http://www.cleveland.com/newsflash/i...list=cleveland

Some questions come to mind: Isn't it the FA that decides how far a case like this will go? After all is there, really, any effort made to verify the claims of the FA? Were pictures of the massive cuts, abrasions, and major bruises inflicted in that grevious "assault" ever produced? I don't think so. So why couldn't Delta have let this go at an administrative fine? A clear message would have been sent that unauthorized use of the business class lav doesn't come cheap. Could Delta's desire really have been motivated by this man's modest resources--no ability to retain an expensive attorney and investigators, no possibility of a lawsuit. Or, put another way, would Delta have been so quick to prosecute if Victoria Osteen had been this passenger? See article below on Victoria Osteen. As you'll note Osteen got off with a $3,000 fine for her transgression. Some punishment! I'm sure she spends that much a month on makeup!

http://cbs4.com/cbsnational/victoria....2.795922.html

I think it's more of a Delta rule about not using the lav outside your class. If TSA really had such a rule why would it apply only to international flights? So using the "wrong" lav on a domestic flight is LESS of a risk??

Evidently harassing abortion clinics is ok. Use the wrong lav on a plane? Now you're REALLY in trouble!

I shall await the impassioned defense of Delta, and that poor abused FA, by the airline sympathizers, et al.

Replies:

Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:05 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

It is in fact a TSA rule that passengers are only to use the lavatory in the class of service they are seated in. And in fact, unless something has changed this is for all flights, international or domestic.

I'm not going to defend the passenger or the flight attendant either way, but one question I have is, the first time he was told he had to use the coach can, why did he not go to the flight attendants doing meal service and let them know he desperately needed to go. From what I've read I don't think the cart was too far from his seat. The flight attendants would have simply pulled the cart back past his row, so he could then have access to the lav.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:41 AM
Banned
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

its not just an international rule, also domestic. if i saw a passenger "charging, or quickly coming forward" i would also put my arm out to stop them, how am i to know they are just using the lav? i dont agree with the verdict in this case. they guy was told to use the coach lav. imo, other people see this story and think they can do this and also get away with it.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:50 AM
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

the two former posts are correct. lav use is restricted to the class of cabin you are seated in, and in some airspaces (DC for example) you are not even allowed to get out of your seat at all. (Also an FAA/TSA regulation)
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justme View Post
the two former posts are correct. lav use is restricted to the class of cabin you are seated in, and in some airspaces (DC for example) you are not even allowed to get out of your seat at all. (Also an FAA/TSA regulation)
Wrong on both counts.

The TSA directive about using the lavatories in the passengers' ticketed cabin only applies to international flights bound for the US:

Quote:
The TSA instituted a security policy shortly after 9/11 that only applied to inbound international flights into the U.S. that restricted lav use to a passengerís ticketed cabin only.
Lavatory restrictions on other flights is airline policy only and there is no federal law or TSA directive that would prevent an economy class passenger from using the first class lavatory. It is a TSA directive that passengers cannot congregate or loiter near the flight deck door or the front galley and since the first class lav is almost always located in this area the "use the lav in your own cabin" announcement is really meant to prevent people from hanging around the front of the plane.

The security directive with respect to the "30 minute rule" at Reagan Washington National Airport (and it only ever applied there) was suspended July 14, 2005. Details here.

"justme" I think next time you should do a little homework (ie. Google) before you post incorrect information. Thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:34 PM

I use miles a lot to upgrade and to be honest I am sick and tired of having to wait for coach passengars to use first class or business class bathrooms. If they want to use the bathrooms in a higher class of service they should cough up the miles or money to upgrade otherwise USE THE POTTY IN THE CABIN YOUR SITTING IN.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:48 AM

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer View Post
The TSA directive about using the lavatories in the passengers' ticketed cabin only applies to international flights bound for the US

Lavatory restrictions on other flights is airline policy only and there is no federal law or TSA directive that would prevent an economy class passenger from using the first class lavatory.
That's not true. It is on all flights.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:50 PM
Banned
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

i have done a ton of commercialing for work, and on ALL the domestic flights i have done (all different carriers) they all state that TSA requires customers to use the lavs in their ticketed cabin
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:39 AM
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

There has been discussion on this topic in another thread... I'm posting the bit that I wrote that relates to this here.

Quote:
There are things that airlines do and train their employees to do that you are not privy to. Security being one of them. I can't quote an internet address because there isn't one. The training is company proprietary and is not just passed out to anyone that wants it. It very clearly states at the beginning of the training that "the information provided in this training is for your eyes only, and is disseminated on a need to know basis." I'll translate that for you so you can understand: PEOPLE WHO DO NOT AND NEVER HAVE WORKED FOR AN AIRLINE DO NOT GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION.
the rest of the post can be seen here
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:58 AM

Originally Posted by justme View Post
The training is company proprietary and is not just passed out to anyone that wants it. It very clearly states at the beginning of the training that "the information provided in this training is for your eyes only, and is disseminated on a need to know basis." I'll translate that for you so you can understand: PEOPLE WHO DO NOT AND NEVER HAVE WORKED FOR AN AIRLINE DO NOT GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION.
Unfortunately you are incorrect on this as well. It's true that the information is not just handed out to anyone. However, You know as well as I do that there is always some yahoo that gets careless with a manual or memo. How many ditzy @$$ flight attendants are out there? Quite a few. It's rare but there have been cases where one gets careless where he/she puts their manual. And how many times has the news put out something on a regulation or directive that is not publicly available, but somehow it got leaked to them?

As far as the security info you and PHX are talking about, which was the 30 minute DCA rule, that was never a secret. It's true that the airline employees were never allowed to give that info out, but the TSA did. It was all over the news, with all of the other restrictions. It would be like saying the 3.4 ounces thing on liquids is security info. That is true, but it was released to the public. The TSA also did release that the DCA restrictions had been lifted.

As for there not being a website - here you go:

Straight from the TSA website

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071301327.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/tsa_dca.html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/07/13...nal/index.html