COMPLAINT: Ryanair pilots and Slackness

Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:04 PM

Join Date: Apr 2011

I have more than a little knowledge of flying.
Sunday came back from Norway to Liverpool UK.Pilot came in too fast.I was third row from back aisle seat.As the the back undercarriage thumped on to the tarmac the guy next to me actually lifted out of his seat.several people including him screamed.
While starting his descent from 37000 an 18 month old toddler was allowed to wonder up and down the aircraft.You don't have to be a genius to work out what would happen to that child if there was a loss of cabin pressure.
I have no problem with the priority passengers thing.They pay a few quid more and are allowed on first,but when two priority passengers arrive late they reserve them seats at the back by dropping down drinks trays on three seats.
That is simply not on.
Last year I took a cheap Ryan-air flight and the pilot used every inch of runway.on landing.Another inch and he would have been on the turf.
While applying the brakes and reverse thrust the plane weaved left and right.
Now i knew what was going on but does everyone else in particular the staff of Ryanair.
The Ryanair way their concept I believe is a good one and it is cheap.The down side is in my view a distinct lack of discipline, safety procedures,and most certainly inexperienced pilots.
A cargo is a cargo including human beings.Due care and attention should be applied on all landings.
To be fare to them I went to Norway on the Friday and on that occasion the pilot was fine although they do seam to be always heavy on the breaking.I can only assume they are not getting their approaches right,or I sincerely hope not cutting a few corners here and there.
I have flown with them a few times now and they do seem are consistent
on bad piloting.
They need to improve soonest or their is an accident waiting to happen.

Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:24 AM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by sopwithcamels266 View Post
I have more than a little knowledge of flying.
That is simply not on.
While applying the brakes and reverse thrust the plane weaved left and right.
I have flown with them a few times now and they do seem are consistent
on bad piloting.
They need to improve soonest or their is an accident waiting to happen.
1. What were the runway conditions?

2. Did the aircraft catch a gust of wind under the wings just prior
or at any point during the landing?

3. I have was on an American Airlines flight from FLL to ORD and back
on the same type of aircraft that Ryanair uses the Boeing 737-800.
We used the entir runway for landing and for takeoff. Part of the use of the runway has to do with how heavy the aircraft is (how many bags, cargo etc....), condition of the runway and surface conditions.

4. Flight attendants are NOT babay sitters. The parent(s) / guardian should have been holding onto the baby and ensuring that he / she / it is not walking up and down the isle.

5. What is your knowledge of flying, aircraft operations and load planning?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:16 PM

Join Date: Apr 2011

In response to your questions my dealings with planes as a recreation ltd to small aircraft Cessna, P W 28 that kind of thing. I do take an interest in Aviation in general, as a hobby.

In answer to other questions your right about the type of plane and conditions were very good,wind minimal I would have have visibility good.

With the child wondering up and down I think it should have been the stewards and stewardess's duty to inform that father to take child back to seat.That didn't happen.

I take your point about pay load that would make some sense in that with Ryannair you are suppose to travel light. That is their way how they do cheap flights Extra is paid for.

The plane was full with passengers.

There doesn't seem to be be any margin for error on runways.

Heavy they were on landing for sure.I guess it is better a little fast than a stall,but this doesn't seem to be a one off.

Recently I read that pilot had been warned for cutting a few corners and not abiding by all rules on approaches.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:03 PM

I can't stand Ryanair, but this post is pointless. There is no evidence of a lack of safety on the basis of your "observations". Ryanair are famous for their fast taxying, rapid turnarounds, etc... However, there is no evidence that this poses a threat to safety.

If on the other hand you expressed concerns about the bullying and hostile attitude of the Chief Executive, and out sourcing of training which can lead to conflicts of interests, you might have a point. Anecdotal experiences of a landing which seems fast doesn't cut it I'm afraid.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:01 AM

Join Date: Apr 2011

Pointless to you as you have stated but of interest to thousands of others.I take flying seriously.
You have an opinion just as I have. Interestingly you use antagonistic comments.
I have taken a view on Ryanair based on my experiences of being a fare paying passenger.I stand by my view that from my experience on several occasions they are cutting corners and in my view is very worrying. .I believe these have to be documented.
It saddens me that members of the public are in denial of this slackness.
If folk do not speak out then things don't improve.
One could argue that your your opinion is pointless because you state you dislike Ryanair.It is not pointless simply an opinion.
I actually like the concept of Ryanair and in a lot of ways is quite refreshing to air travel,however whatever the pressures of business safety should be paramount.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:02 AM

I say it is pointless not to be antagonistic, but because you draw conclusions for your opinion that are not backed up with any fact... Just an anecdotal report of "fast" landings. If the aircraft is full, using the full runway is not unusual... And the pilots may well choose not to brake heavily precisely because they know they have plenty of runway. There is simply nothing in your post that substantiates your opinion that this could pose a safety risk.

I dislike the dishonesty and hypocrisy of O'Leary and his management team, but that doesn't make them unsafe. O'Leary himself recognises that given the culture of Ryanair and their reputation, even one fatal accident ( which they have never had) could do serious damage to their brand. I just don't think subjective opinions about fast landings are of much value without some facts to back them up.

Incidently, your profile name is very similar to one allegedly used by O'Leary in the Pprune forums, so perhaps there is more to your post than meets the eye.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 2:39 PM

Join Date: Apr 2011

There is always one on a forum and yeah after reading all your posts it seems you are it.

You clearly have an attitude problem.I don't know what you mean at the end of your last post,clearly designed for offence.Clearly it must be designed for antagonistic purposes.

Your posts tell their own story about you.

Thank goodness I can rise above this.
Iv'e got far better things to be doing than typing this.I wont respond again.

Last edited by sopwithcamels266; Apr 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:10 PM

I think perhaps you might be a little sensitive for thus forum sopwith.. Perhaps you might try this instead. Www.nickelodeon.com.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:33 AM
mysticalstepper mysticalstepper is offline

Join Date: May 2011

Hi there, I am so glad to have read your post as I flew with Ryanair yesterday from Faro, Portugal to Cork, Ireland. The take off was fine, the flight was no problem, however the landing scared the life out of me and most of the passengers. I have flown Ryanair many times and have never faulted such a thing as landing and take off. But this pilot was either young and inexperienced or just slack. We descended far to fast (that feeling of a sudden drop when your stomach hits the roof and you have no control) and the plane wobbled mid air, I could feel the loss of control as the plane hit the tarmacadem and jolted to one side, as if it were gliding on one set of wheels!! Hitting the brakes, he was Blessed that he gained control last minute. Many experienced travellers on this flight were in shock. You dont have to be a pilot to know what feels safe and what feels shockingly scary.
What I would like to know is, is there anywhere you can file a complaint for this particular pilot/flight? Also would ground control have whitnessed this landing?
Old May 24, 2011, 7:25 AM

There is a saying among pilots and it's not a joke.....any landing you walk away from is a good landing. Any pilots out there confirm or deny this?????

Overworked pilots? airhead General Discussion 9 Oct 28, 2009 4:01 AM