In-flight Issues

Did you experience any problems during an Continental Airlines flight?

In-flight Issue
Terrible Flight Attendants

Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:39 AM

Join Date: Dec 2010

I have flown CO on a few occassions and I can honestly say they are the worst airline I have ever flown with.

Last time I flew with them was definately the worst. We were landing in to the UK and on disembarking my two year old son fell and cut his head, he was bleeding profusely. The crew members gathered around a tutted and complained that we were making them late and that we should hurry up. I had to actually ask one of them to get me some tissues so that I could clean my sons head up to see how badly he had been cut, again I got bad attitude. Only once the ground staff member came to see was anything done, she called a paramedic and brought tissues and band aids. The crew left before we did and in no way offered assistance. Don't get me wrong I don't expect them to clean up my son or take care of him, but to get tissues surely wouldn't have been too much to ask.

Actually if I am honest from the start of the flight to the finish, the crew's manners were absolutely disgusting. My son slept the whole flight, didn't make a peep, I brought food and milk onboard for him so as not to bother the crew. Not only were they rude with us, but it seemed they were rude to all the passengers and I heard many people complaining about their attitude.

Now I have to tell you I was a Flight Attendant for over 10 years and I understand crew get tired and many are jaded by years of long hours and underpayment, but I find CO crew are by far the most rude unfriendly bunch of Flight Attendants I have ever come across. I can also tell you that as an ex hostie, I keep my son pretty well controlled on the flights, lots of activities, food and milk, I even take his blanket and pillow, I really do try to be prepared and not a burden to the Flight Attendants.

CO are the worst and I hope to never fly with them again.

Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:27 AM

Join Date: Nov 2010

You don't say what you mean by rude or give any example for someone reading your post to agree with you that they were rude or anything about their attitude other than they did not bring you tissues after you had left the aircraft.

Incidentally, basic first aid is that you don't wipe the blood from a bleeding cut to see the extent of the injury. You get the blood to clot first. Wiping the blood only allows more bleeding. Instead you hold something against the cut to close it up and stop the bleeding.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:37 AM
DazedNadConfused DazedNadConfused is offline

Join Date: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by HoustonFlyer View Post

Assessment of the wound is priority. Check for foreign objects and cleanliness. Direct pressure over-rules the above for arterial bleeding.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by HoustonFlyer View Post
You don't say how your 2 year old fell and you leave me wondering who was careless to allow him to fall. Were you not holding the hand of this 2 year old? You also don't say if you had left the aircraft when the fall took place. Once the passengers have exited, the flight attendants' job is over and ground staff takes over and it seems that they did. I also did not say I had left the aircraft, you need to read the post again.

Ok you obviously did not read to the part where I said I was a Flight Attendant for 10 years. I am well aware of where the crew responsibility stops, do not speak me to like I'm a child. I am well aware of aviation medicine and first aid on the ground, when you cannot get the blood flow to stop no matter how much you apply pressure, you need to keep supplies at hand and as my son had a great big cut on his forehead the blood flow was quite amazing.

My son fell as we were walking up the aisle, he tripped over blankets that were left on the floor between the seats, sticking out in to the aisle. I always hold his hand and trust me if I hadn't been holding his hand he probably would have had a broken nose as he hit the seat back, the very corner of it.

If a Flight Attendant is tutting and complaining I am making them late, then yes that is considered being rude. Inflight I heard passengers ask for drinks, water mainly and they were bascially snapped at, "in a minute". We all understand the food issue, that not everyone gets a first choice, so that me isn't considered rude, but how you tell a passenger that their first choice isn't available can make the difference to the passenger.

Oh and by the way, the ground staff actually came on the aircraft to see what had happened, and called on the radio from there for a paramedic.

Last edited by Becka_01; Dec 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DazedNadConfused View Post

As anyone remotely familiar with a head wound will know, the head bleeds the most and my son was covered in bloody, it really is a good job the paramedic was called, the ground staff were great, such a shame the crew were so deplorable and no idea how to handle a situation such as this.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:56 PM

I am a bit taken aback by this... what relevance can that have? If a two year child cracks his head open on aircraft, even if the mother was totally negligent, surely the FA's would have an obligation to assist? I don't care if the mother was in a drunken stupor and the child was running wild.... he is two for god's sake and needed medical attention!! The staff have an obligation to provide first aid..period. Any significant head wound requires a call to a paramedic for basic neuro checks, which is why the ground staff took this action. If the FA's failed to offer any assistance, they failed in their duties. It is as simple as that.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:06 AM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post

The FAs have no obligation to provide first aid after the flight has landed and the door opens. Someone should indeed provide first aid, and it would be the paramedics and one came. I can't see the difference to the injured child if they were called by the FAs or the ground staff.

The OP is displaying an attitude problem in her posts here and if she showed the same attitude on the scene, I can't fault the FAs for leaving and letting the ground staff attend to it - which they did.

She called the FAs rude, manners disgusting and people complaining about their attitude. She had another go at giving details and the sum total of her complaint about the alleged rudeness, absolutely disgusting manners and people complaining about attitude consists of:
(1) people asking for water and drinks and were snapped at "in a minute"
(2) FAs tutting and complaining she was making them late
(3) The manner in which people were told their first choice is not available (whatever that means)

With regard to food and water, and given the recent cut backs in this regard, the prudent traveler will buy himself something of his choice to eat and drink and bring it on board in case service is slow. She does not say the people were refused the drinks so I don't see the problem with the "in a minute". I must presume that she has set out to her satisfaction the details of their conduct she complained of, as we were not there and she is bringing the complaint to this forum. None of her details justifies her description of their conduct as rude and absolutely disgusting manners.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:29 AM

Originally Posted by HoustonFlyer View Post

(1) people asking for water and drinks and were snapped at "in a minute"
(2) FAs tutting and complaining she was making them late

Speak to me not about me, I am the OP and you accused me of being a negligent Mother. I answered your questions, yet you still continue to attack me, which leads me to believe you are CO crew and do not like others to criticize your airline or your crew.

If I had spoken to a passenger the way I heard passengers being spoken to on that flight, I would have been reprimanded. I will now speak to you the way you see fit to speak to me, which by the way IS disgusting, and you seem unable to have discussion without being civil.

So if you had a child, which I am presuming you don't, and the child fell whilst on the aircraft, would you not ask for help and yes I asked for help I did not demand it, again remember I was a Flight Attendant so I do know how to ask and not demand. If you are tutted and told you are keeping the crew back would you not feel like you were treated in a disgusting manner, please note I did say to the crew to go and get their rest, I do understand long haul flights, as that is what I did for 10 years, I am well aware crew need their rest and would not infringe on it unnecessarily. I asked for tissues for goodness sake, it wasn't like I was asking them to perform surgery. Oh and the difference is how we were dealt with by the ground staff and by the crew, ground staff quickly got tissues and called a paramedic, she did not stand around tutting and complaining. If it hadn't been for her no paramedic would have been called.

No I did not say they were refused food and drink, I referred to how they were spoken to and here you go to add to it, many of the people I heard asking for water never got it and were ignored when they asked again. Please remember when dealing with the public tone of voice is everything and all it takes is the wrong tone and you've got people feeling they have been mistreated. As I have said before, I always take enough food and milk for my son, I do not like to ask the crew as I know they have limited supplies, plus my son is my son and it is my responsibility to make sure his needs are taken care of. I am happy about whatever meal is available to me, I understand it's not the crews fault if they run out of a certain meal, I sir do not complain about such things personally, as you will have noted.

I only gave up flying when I had my son, who I will say again is only two. I loved my job and to me it was always a good flight if I made the passengers comfortable. I understand how tough times are for crew now, with supplies etc, but if crew can't be civil to passengers then they should not do the job, simple as.

As for you, please do not respond again, as all you seem to do is apportion blame away from your crew and make accusations that I am a negligent mother because my son tripped on blankets that were stuck out in the aisle. You have shown like the rest of the CO crew I have come across to be self righteous, unhelpful and rude in the manner in which you address people. You are what makes CO a terrible airline to fly with!

Last edited by Becka_01; Dec 6, 2010 at 1:32 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:51 AM

Join Date: Nov 2010

Ms Becka, we thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and although we were not able to satisfy you on this occasion, we hope you will continue to give us the opportunity to serve you in future.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:32 AM

That is ridiculous... the door opens and the FA's have no further obligation to the passenger, regardless of the circumstances? So if a passenger needed CPR, they would be justified in refusing to help in a timely manner whilst waiting for someone from ground staff to get there because the "door is open"? That is a very stupid rule and needs to be repealed. People could die.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:47 AM

Join Date: Nov 2010

Once the door opens the ground staff is on the other side of the door with their radios in hand and they can call the paramedics. Although they are trained in first aid, FAs have only a limited experience in first aid but the paramedics are the best people to deal with it while on the ground. This OP got the help from a paramedic but her grouse is that the paramedics were called by the ground staff. What difference should it have made to her who called them?

From the OPs posts, she was minding the business of other passengers, looking to see who was being told to "wait a minute" for their drinks, or who was not getting drinks at all or which passengers where "complaining about their attitude". It is possible the FAs could have noticed her or even heard her ill-speaking them during the flight and understandably when the flight was over, the FAs just left it to the ground staff, not showing an interest in her problem that they otherwise might have even if they were not obliged to.

Last edited by HoustonFlyer; Dec 6, 2010 at 9:51 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by HoustonFlyer View Post

I do NOT speak ill of the crew on board and it has actually taken me months to talk about the experience, however I did hear passengers in front of me, behind me and to the side of me talk about the attitude of the crew. Remember again I was a Flight Attendant for 10 years and I understand in recent years that crew are under much more pressure, also I remember my manners and always go out of my way to smile and be polite to crew. I also go out of my way to make sure I don't ask them for anything.

Before you assume every passenger is rude, you should really look at the facts. My son and I got he on flight ahead of most of the other passengers as thats usually the policy when travelling with your children. I stored my one bag under the seat in front of my son, I made sure I had what I needed for the flight readily available, therefore not needing to ask for assistance from the crew. I said hello to the crew on boarding and got a sullen expression from the crew at the door. I sat down and buckled my son and I, yes he sat quite happily in his seat and that's where he remained for the duration of the flight, my son was asleep even before we took off. I ate my meal, drank my coffee and settled in to watch a movie, I asked for nothing for the remainder of the flight. I always used my manners and always smiled, even if it was not returned. If you can find fault in my behaviour then feel free to point it out. It was only once we landed and my son had fallen did I ask for assistance. By the way the airline I worked for made sure the passengers were taken care of by the crew right up until the last passengers had disembarked, not as soon as the door was opened. I am well aware of how to behave on a flight, I have been flying since I was 2 weeks old and I was brought up with strict parents and good manners. I was also brought up with "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" I bet if the crew on my flight had been treated the way they treated me they would have kicked up one almighty stink.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:00 PM
mars6423 mars6423 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey/Singapore
Send a message via AIM to mars6423

houston........it doesnt make any difference how the 2yr old fell, the fact is it happened, and it needs(ed) to be taken care off, not just for health reasons but because it is the right thing to do.

The FA's should have assisted in the process such as getting paper towels or a cloth and try to assist in the situation while waiting for paramedics to arrive and help, its a young child, maybe its different if it is an adult who can take care of themselves but you cant blame a 2yr old for falling over especially over blankets on the floor.

The FA's attitudes towards this and how they didn't care about the situation shows that they need to be trained in compassion as people are not robots, we have feelings and there is no reason to take their frustrations out on a little child

and the one minute with the water, when i have flown with continental on the rare occasions that i have flown a US airline I have always been appalled by the FA remarks and attitude, like ugh shut up get it yourself i hate my job attitude........im not sure if that is because the experiences of flying Singapore Airlines is much more pleasing, relaxing, and just a whole lot better
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:46 AM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

If the OP is a former flight attendant, why don't they have "former airline employee" under their name? I thought when joining all airline employees (current and former) were suppose to identify themselfs as such?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:34 AM
missylynn missylynn is offline

Location: somewhere up there

Originally Posted by Becka_01 View Post
The crew left before we did and in no way offered assistance.
Now I have to tell you I was a Flight Attendant for over 10 years...
That's a shame that you and your son were treated so poorly by these FA's. Since you are a former FA, you know that per FAA regulations during passenger boarding and deplaning, all flight attendants are required to be on board the aircraft. Were you in the jetway or on the plane when the crew left? If they infact left you on the plane, this is a serious violation and needs to brought to the attention of the airline.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:31 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

i believe the OP said her child fell on the aircraft...and if thats the case then i agree (and as a flight attendant i would have) stepped in and helped. alot of commercial flight attendants have the attitude of "the door is open, im no longer getting paid, my job is done let the ground agents handle it'" i have seen it on all airlines (even some of these so called perfect european airlines). so i agree that yes, at least 1 flight attendant in the area on the plane where the child fell could have helped until the paramedics arrived. now, if the child fell in the jet bridge, then no the flight attendants couldnt have helped since all crew need to remain on board during passenger boarding and leaving the aircraft
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:08 AM

Cortney,
I don't know which "perfect" European airlines you are travelling on, but can you let me know who they are... because I am struggling to find them!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:19 AM

Join Date: Sep 2009

trust me, they aren't. its just that some people on this board say if you fly to europe use lufthansa or british airways, they treat you better than a US carrier, which I have found not quite true. i have had a better international experience on UA than Lufthansa
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:54 AM

Saying that you should avoid US based airlines when flying internationally is not the same as saying that European based airlines are perfect. In fact, in terms of service, Asian based airlines are generally the best. It is also true that you can have bad individual experiences on Asian or European based airlines and can have good individual experiences on US based airlines.

However, overall, the standards of service of US based airlines has fallen so low, that your chances of things going badly are significantly higher. This is not just a matter of my subjective opinion. Skytrax conducts the largest survery of actual travellers around the world. You will find that the standing of US airlines has fallen dramatically over the last 10 years.

The biggest problem is when something goes wrong. US airlines make it hard to get any kind of resolution and seem to have a default position of rejecting any complaint first time in the hope you will go away.

If I have a choice, I always choose to avoid US based airlines. Why take the chance?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:21 AM

Join Date: Sep 2009

i couldnt agree more with the statement you said about the standards of service for US based airlines has fallen so low. but unfortunetly living in the US i dont have a choice when i fly domestically but to use a US carrier. on my lists to avoid are of course delta and southwest...both have crap service IMO
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:40 PM

Well we agree on that.. particularly Delta, who are utterly appalling and frankly should nver have been allowed out of bankruptcy.

Customer Service Bumped from flight- terrible Customer service. twesty1 American Airlines Complaints 2 May 26, 2010 5:31 PM
Suggestion Terrible flight attendant WaltD How can Continental improve? 0 Feb 21, 2010 2:41 AM
In-flight Issue Rude Flight Attendants biljack Delta Air Lines Complaints 14 Nov 3, 2009 9:29 PM
In-flight Issue Abusive Flight Attendants ecorder United Airlines Complaints 4 Aug 22, 2008 7:38 PM
In-flight Issue terrible flight cc1345 American Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 14, 2007 1:27 AM