COMPLAINT: Excessive Baggage FEES - Paid $600 for Checking Two Bags. Is this Ridiculous or What?

Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:25 PM

Join Date: Jan 2012

I have never complained about anything I think this story should definitely be aired or must be brought to attention of the government. We as Citizens of United States must take charge and ban Airline companies from charging Ridiculous Baggage fees Just Because THEY CAN.

I travelled from DFW, TX to HYD, India via Frankfurt Germany on September 16th 2011 and I was really happy with the service that I received from Lufthansa Crew and my baggage fees were $70.00. However on my return flight from HYD, India to DFW, TX and Confirmation the service that I received at the HYD airport was not the same. When I checked my bags in, the lady at the counter told me that I would need to pay $600.00 for checking my bags in. I tried to mention to her that it was incorrect and she left me with no option to pay for the baggage in order for me to get into the flight. After a long conversation going back and forth I thought it would be best for me to pay for it and call Lufthansa Corp and deal with Customer Service. When I wanted to pay for the $600 she said that I would need to a different counter to pay and when I went there it was chaos. The credit card machine would not work and I had to wait over an hour to get that resolved. Finally the manager came and said that he would have to run the transaction manually and he could not find the forms. He asked me to go to the gate so that I would not miss the flight and right before the flight was leaving he called me out of the line that I was in and made me sign the manual papers for the charge for baggage claim. Who in the right mind would charge $600 for checking bags. I think it is basically ripping off customers because they donít have a choice if they have to fly Lufthansa airlines.
I tried calling Lufthansa but the only way you can ever get to Customer Service for Complains is through their website. I tried to resolve the situation with Lufthansa and the situation was not resolved. I got a response from the Customer Service after a month and they basically said that it is the correct amount.
I do have email communications with Lufthansa airlines. I also have a video from India at the airport where they made me stand in line for 2 hours to charge my card. The credit card machine was not working and they had to call technical support which got routed from Germany back to India. I felt that was kind of ironic.
Please post this in BOLD so that other passengers dont get ripped off

Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:58 AM

They may well be correct.. and you were given a break on the first leg. Baggage weight limits are clearly posted on the web... how much were you over?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:28 AM

Join Date: Jan 2012

They were not a whole of lot over when I weighed them before going to the airport. They said that both the bags were 10lbs over weight. Some passengers were mentioning that the weighing scale at the location was off.

It does not matter how much it weighs $600 to check in two pieces of luggage is a total rip off. I could have shipped the luggage and would have got them cheaper. I had no choice other than to pay. It really does not matter what they post on their website about pricing. I can post $10,000 per bag and cannot expect customers to pay. There are two things one nominal fees and the other is ripping customers off. This falls under mostly the latter. Just FYI My weigh going out of US was 2-3 lbs over and they never said anything and I guess the customer service depends on country to country.

Try to put yourself in my shoes and tell me if that was the right thing to do. Some people dont even have $600 after going on trip to pay for the baggage. Its just a matter of principle.

A Couple of Senators and Congressmen are working on bill to regulate the Airline Baggage Fees. I am looking for an attorney to file a class action law suit and I am also talking to couple of TV Channels and Radio Channels.

PS: I did try to solve this problem in a more friendly manner wit Lufthansa and looks like they did not solve the problem. I even said I would pay upto $150( which is reasonable) and not $600 which is about 50% of the price of my ticket.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:29 AM

I am afraid you are not understanding the rules. Although in one respect, you are right to say that the weight doesn't matter. On Lufthansa, the rule is designed to discourage you from taking over weight baggage. Their Terms and Conditions show that for Intercontinental flights, if your free bag is over the permitted weight, the excess charge can be as much as $450 per bag, but there is a charge for a bag which is bigger and heavier than your allowance, (between 23kg and 32kg) for which the charge is $300. It makes no difference if the excess weight was 1kg or 5kg's. If both of your bags were overweight, then $600 is correct. Here is the link:

Don't misunderstand me... the charges are excessive. However, as you agreed to them I don't think you have any realistic chance of recovering them, and I don't think any agency will help you. It is vital that bags are measured before you travel on accurage scales, because any excuse the airline have to gouge you, they will take. I totally agree with you that the only way that we can realistically change this is by re-regulation. The airlines are abusive towards passengers.

Last edited by jimworcs; Jan 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:40 PM

jimworcs

I do understand ther rules of the airlines. It their sandbox so their rules. $600 is really not a big deal for me but I feel like I have been taken advantage of. I am doing my part to make people aware of the situation of what happened to one of the passengers traveling by Lufthansa airlines. If this gets a critical mass then an action will be taken against companies. I am not sure if you heard the story of Bank Of America and their Over Draft Fees. It was in their rules and they were charging customers according to them. Recently they lost a class action lawsuit and paid $400 Million dollars in fines. If enough people have complains about the same issue about any company then an action will be taken. I see there are 30 views and if those 30 people go tell another 30 and another 30 and so on and so forth then this will get attention. I may not win the lawsuit but I am just letting people know what happens if they fly Lufthansa.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:54 PM

I agree... It's so much harder with international airlines, who are governed by a omplex series of treaties and conventions.... But they are abusive and badly need regulating...
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:23 PM
Fellar Fellar is offline

Location: usa

Book marked these pages, may come backside intended for much more You, my friend, MOUNTAIN!!! squidoo com/no-no-hair-removal-system] no no hair removal reviews
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:48 PM
stonecold_1981 stonecold_1981 is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

Agreed about the fact that Lufthansa is abusing it's power as a large international airline. But the fact is you DID have a choice. There are tons of airlines flying the route you suggested and don't charge as much. I think, in this day and age of air travel, we should be comparing all-in costs of travel. Not just buy the cheapest air fare for specific level of service.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:29 PM

Join Date: Jan 2012

StoneCold - I did have a choice and Lufthansa was not the cheapest price. My only criteria at that point was convenience and the least connecting flights. My flight was a direct flight from DFW to my destination in India with one stop in Frankfurt.

Baggage Problems Two bags delayed- excessive charges/rude Stanley raffes Delta Air Lines Complaints 5 Jul 31, 2010 12:19 AM
Baggage Problems Paid for bags and they still didn't deliver cmizga Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Jan 26, 2009 11:11 AM