Reservations
COMPLAINT: US Air Doesn't Care About Future Business

Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:00 PM
Dave413 Dave413 is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

My wife and I scheduled a flight recently and had to change the date by one day. When I called their 800# to discuss this I was told that there was a $150 change fee per ticket. Considering the origional cost per ticket was only about $280 each, this 50% upcharge seems quite excessive so I asked to speak to a manager. Unfortunately, the Indian woman refused to transfer me even though I explained how this fee seemed excessive and opportunistic.

This contrasts with a recent bad experience I had with a Panasonic plasma TV which failed after 3 years of ownership. Even though it was two years out of warranty they stepped up and took care of the cost of repair. The result was my purchasing another Panasonic Plasma TV for my Media Room.

The result of US Air's treatment of a one day change will be loss of all my family's future flying business unless they step up and take a more consumer friendly stance. I was fully aware of the change fee but am also aware that under certain circumstances fees can be waived or reduced. Those companies that do this really get it and stay in business for the long-haul.

Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:10 PM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

$150 is alot of money. but you agreed to the contract when you purchased your ticket and its right there in the policies on line on the website. these are the kind of complaints i dont get. the woman on the phone was doing her job and folliwing the rules/policy and the customer gets angry about it. like i said $150 is alot of money for a change fee...no doubt but you did agree to the policy/rules
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:33 PM
Dave413 Dave413 is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

When companies really understand customer service, they get repeat business and don't have to file bankrupcy like US Air did in 2005. As I explained in my previous example, Panasonic TV stepped up and repaired their defective TV outside of the warranty. This resulted in my purchasing another Panasonic TV and telling my family about what great service I received. Now 3 other members of my family own Panasonic Plasma TVs in addition to me. In this case, the opposite result is happening. I'm disappointed in the US Air response and of course I'll be sharing my experience with others looking to travel. I've heard that congress is going to be taking a look into this just as they did when the banks were gouging their customers with excessive fees. It's sad that we have to legislate fair business practices.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:08 PM
INTLGIRLY INTLGIRLY is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

I do understand how you feel and trust me I have been in the same situation, however I am also a business owner and when people cancel on me at the last minute and the business (whatever it is) cannot resell the room / seat / time / service, the business does suffer

The "ideal" situation would be that IF they resold your seat which you canceled then they should waive or reduce the penalty. Won't happen. One, because who is going to prove what and two, because they can't even manage their inventory as it is.

Even if you had paid for cancellation insurance it probably would not have covered you
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:21 AM

Dave,

Asking to speak to a manager over an issue like this will get you exactly what happened. Managers don't come to the phone for minor issues such as a change fee. I'm sorry if you feel this is blunt or rude as it's not meant to be. This is just a fact. An agent, if they feel it warranted, has the power to waive fees, at least they did when I worked. I was a supervisor and I encouraged my staff to make their own decisions as I had other things to do besides going round and round with a customer about a change fee.

It's sad that just about every single airline charges a change fee on restricted tickets but this is a HUGE moneymaker for the industry. Literally, billions of dollars a year. They will not go away and are rarely waived anymore. But as I said earlier, an agent can waive them if the situation seems to warrant it.

I believe WN (Southwest) has a very liberal change policy. They may be worth investigating for your next travels.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:20 AM
airplanegod airplanegod is offline

Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
Dave,

I agree. With your situation, I'd fly Southwest, they don't have an aggressive flight change fee policy.