Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:03 PM

Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Default UA and a possible diplomatic incident

A flight attendant decides some Pakistani military officers are terrorists. I guess the officers weren't impressed with the offers of extra miles and free flight vouchers! My guess is the State Department will force UA to issue some kind of (half-a**ed) apology, via a press release.

[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:37 PM

Default PS

I made-up the comment about extra miles and free flight vouchers. Given the (limited) mentality of US-based airlines it just sounds like something UA would do.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:24 PM

Flight attendants are not recruited for their brains.... as evidenced by endless examples of stupid people with powers beyond their pay grade..
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:45 PM

From the article:

"one of them remarked to a flight attendant that "he hoped the flight was his last," according to the AP."

Your right. No reason to be alarmed at all.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:58 PM

He was tired after travelling for hours to get to Washington in the first place. If a white middle aged woman from Iowa had said it, would her reaction have been the same? Did she think they had not been through security?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:58 PM

Join Date: May 2008

My answer to that: Timothy McVeigh was an American white boy.

Everyone is on edge about people of middle eastern descent, but what do you expect? I'm very certain it was just a language thing of sorts (de didn't think about what he said could have been misunderstood) but yes, even some white dude from Iowa probably would have meet the same response. How the government would have handled this afterwards is anyone's guess.

The fact remains that Bin Laden's group still wants to attack us. They are testing us. I know of several incidents that have never made the news where it has been found they are testing the system. I won't give details, but in one case (a series of incidents) bags were found by TSA during screening to have common household items attached together that have no reason to be attached together, and were done so in a matter to make them appear threatening when being screened.

Back in WW2 you could pretty easily say "French guy good, German guy bad". But even then, what did the US do with Japanese in the US? Round them up and detain them.

The problem is now there is no easy boarder to look at on the map and tell who's good and who's bad. And let's also not forget that it's not just happening on airplanes. A few years ago some waitress in a diner in Florida swore she heard some middle easter customers talking about blowing something up. They were in a car and a U-haul. She called it in, and the FBI stopped them, shut down a section of alligator alley, and stripped the car and truck down the frames. Nothing was found.

The fact of the matter is that while un intentional, the guy did say something that rightfully triggered a security response, and these things are going to happen. One problem is you have organizations like CAIR that as far as I'm concerned are a mouthpiece for the terrorists. All they are doing is trying to make people scared to call in things that aren't right.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:35 PM

Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Default US based flight attendants: An all-rookie SWAT team in action!

In follow-up to Jetliner’s comments: As I’ve previously indicated, viewing the flight attendants of US-based airlines as a trigger happy all-rookie SWAT team might be one way of avoiding detours to the Guantamano gulag, or something like it. Accordingly:

• Where available, buy any food and drink you may need for the flight on the “airside” of airport security (and hope the FA doesn’t confiscate your food!)

• NEVER initiate any conversation with a flight attendant. Not even a“hello,” “good bye,”—anything. Only speak in
response to somethingthe FA says to you.

• Refuse all food, drink and other cabin service.

• Limit your statements to an FA to “yes,” “no,” and, when necessary,“I wish to remain silent.”

Hopefully, someday, Congress will provide a clear definition of just what a “terrorist act” is for the purpose of passengers aboard an aircraft. In the meantime we will continue to experience a police state in the skies.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:14 AM

Join Date: May 2008

Whatever dude. Keep drinking your kool-aid. What's are you going to say if another 9/11 type incident happens and we find out that the crew or somebody else didn't act when they saw something was wrong?

There isn't anything trigger happy here. The idiot flight attendant who had the family thrown off for the kid saying bye-bye plane, that was trigger happy. This was not.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:08 PM

I'm not... just I was not on edge every time I heard someone with an Irish accent when the IRA were active. The vast majority of the funding for the IRA terrorists came from NORAID, ie.. US citizens. I don't think every US citizen is therefore a potential threat and either a terrorist or funding terrorists. It is ridiculous. As you said, Timothy McVeigh was an all American White Boy... so why isn't everyone on edge about "all American White boys".

Prejudice is prejudice...