COMPLAINT: AA: direct flight sold, 1-stop flight delivered

Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:54 PM
Oscar07 Oscar07 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2010

American Airlines, this happend twice: I book a flight Chicago-Frankfurt months in advance to make sure I get the good price and the diect flight which is very important to me. Then I get a second confirmation several month later that has cancelled my 8 hour flight and rebooked me on 13 hour flight via Dallas. On the phone AA offered to reimburse the money.

If I purchase a ticket that much closer to the date of the trip I pay hundrets of dollars more. My request to book me on a diffent carrier was rejected because non of their alliance partners flies directly. So, either I pay some hundrets $$$ for a different flight or fly Chicago-Dallas-Fankfurt and try to reschedule the appointments I have through the time I am in the air now. feels like ordering a car and they deliver a bike. If that happens once it's upsetting but if it happens twice within one year it's just TOO MUCH!
Customer care in my eyes would be to offer a voucher for a direct flight with a carrier outside of their group.

Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:57 PM
ChrisH ChrisH is offline

Join Date: Oct 2007
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

If your flight is scheduled to arrive now over 4 hours later than your original flight, you should be given the choice to rebook on another flight. I'm not sure about booking on other airlines, but they should do that as well.

I would write them a complaint and be cordial, but also state your facts. You have meetings and other important matters to attend to and the delay is going to disrupt those plans. The airlines usually have some "small print" which states flight and flight times are subject to change, etc., but they are supposed to accomodate you if your flight will arrive after a certain period of time of your original flight, in the case of a schedule change. (I want to say it is 4 hours - someone correct me if I'm wrong). I would also add to your complaint that you are planning to copy the DOT in on your complaint.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:10 AM

Oscar, if you want a guaranteed direct flight, book with the airline of the country you are travelling to. It is almost never better to book with a US based airline anymore. Over the last decade their standards of service have dropped dramatically and they simply do not care about your inconvenience. Had you booked Lufthansa for example, you simply could not have been "re-routed" because the US has protectionist laws to prevent foreign carriers from flying any domestic legs. It is almost never a good idea to book US based carriers for international travel... their standards are too low.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:50 AM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

American stopped flying the non-stop to Frankfurt from Chicago
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
Oscar07 Oscar07 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2010

Thank you all for your very helpful responds!

Baggage Problems Delta Lost my luggage on a direct flight njvea Delta Air Lines Complaints 5 Apr 1, 2010 2:24 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Nonstop flight becomes a 1 stop flight - UA265 VJ Rao United Airlines Complaints 12 Mar 11, 2010 7:15 AM
Baggage Problems Lost carseat & bag on direct flight Walsh05 Southwest Airlines Complaints 4 Jul 1, 2009 4:23 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Alaska cancelled my direct flight [email protected] Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 4 Dec 15, 2008 6:01 PM
Baggage Problems How does a bag NOT get ON a direct flight??? InteriorsbyMonica American Airlines Complaints 1 May 12, 2008 1:43 AM