COMPLAINT: Xiamenair's False Requirements cost us a 3 week vacation

Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:26 AM
kseniia kseniia is offline

Join Date: Dec 2017

I was going for vacation to Thailand. I had tickets from Vancouver (YVR) to Bangkok (BKK). I was not allowed to check-in in YVR as airline demanded passport validity to be 6 month "according to Thailand requirements". My passport expires in 5 month and 26 days upon planned arrival to Bangkok. As a Ukrainian citizen, I am eligible for "Visa upon ArrivalĒ. Itís a specific visa type, which is different from other Thai visas and a requirement for passport validity for this visa is 1 month, not 6 months as other visas and as Xiamenair stated.

I couldnít get anybody from Xiamenair in YVR to correct this mistake, even after showing "Visa upon Arrival" requirements on the official Thai embassy website (see links below), so I just had to leave and come back to Seattle with vacation ruined, $$$ lost and in huge frustration. What is even worth, I still canít get anybody from Xiamenair to answer my question:

As obviously itís incorrect requirement in Xiamenair system, can airline correct the mistake, change the reservation date and allow me to board this flight?

As an official references to the "Visa upon Arrival" requirements:
- Official Thai embassy
- Immigration Bureau of Thailand - Form for Visa Upon Arrival
- BKK airport rules for Visa Upon Arrival:

I also consulted with Siam Legal International, who are an official partner of immigration services in Thailand. They confirmed that rule for visa upon arrival is 30 days.

Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:38 AM

BKK airport rules for Visa Upon Arrival:
Old May 31, 2019, 12:33 PM
samsharma samsharma is offline

Join Date: May 2019

Getting everything clear before entering a country is a must thing to do. Getting Visa is first and foremost thing. You can apply for stamp visa or e visa if your country provides for a particular country. When I traveled Armenia, I got Armenia e visa when I landed.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:44 PM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by kseniia View Post

As an official references to the "Visa upon Arrival" requirements:
- Official Thai embassy
- Immigration Bureau of Thailand - Form for Visa Upon Arrival
- BKK airport rules for Visa Upon Arrival:

The visa is 1 part. The passport validity is another. you need to have both. 6 months or more of validation in the passport and visa.

check-in, customer service, passport, system failure, xiamenair

Reservations Monies taken under false pretences Nick Haines British Airways Complaints 0 Sep 23, 2016 10:49 AM
Reservations Beware of unjust late guidelines! -Cost me $2800, cost United $80 Jerry Gadbois United Airlines Complaints 0 Oct 1, 2012 2:05 PM
Suggestion false ads songtag48 Air Canada Complaints 0 Feb 17, 2011 1:34 AM
Reservations JetBlue - false advertising for a week Speakoutpierre JetBlue Airways Complaints 12 Feb 16, 2009 12:05 PM