Full Site Register



View Poll Results: Has anything like this happened to anyone else at Vancouver airport customs?
Immediately file a complaint to the proper authorities in Canada 0 0%
Retain proper counsel as soon as possible! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll
Air Canada Complaints>Flight#30 customs try to steal cash from american then dumps him across border in wa
amberxchange 7:06 PM Nov 15, 2015
Language: English
Enforcement action number: 8212-15-1553
Date submitted: 2015-11-05
Date of action: 2015/11/04
Client type: Company
Company name: AMBERXCHANGE, LLC
Company contact first name: Paul
Company contact surname: Cabo
Client address: BEIJING CHINA
Client city: BEIJING
Client country: China
Client province/state other: BEIJING
Client postal/zip code: 100000
Client phone number: 829.816.6886


DEAR AIR CANADA:

Can investigate something terrible that happened to me a few days ago. Or, please forward this email to the proper organizations and associations for review. Thanks.

On, or about November 4th 2015 during transit flight#30 AIR CANADA from Beijing China to the Dominican Rep through Vancouver, I was in possession of approx $9100 in USD to buy amber, coffee, larimar, and chocolate for an import/export company founded by me, but owned by my Chinese wife and legally registered in Beijing. I also have a registered import/export company in my name in the Dominican Rep. Since wife cannot speak English or Spanish, I usually go the the Dominican Rep. to purchase these goods to ship back to China.

My currency (along with some loose bills in Chinese currency) was seized and I was interrogated for over 6-8 hours about the cash. I repeatedly told Officer Louie and his Indian-looking supervisor (his office #604-666-1802) where the money came from and what the money was going to be used for as he could clearly see from the business cards, website, and pics in my cell phone that he hacked into. They refused to believe me. The receipt for the currency exchange while I was rushing through the customs to catch my flight may have been lost, but there is security footage of me taking the money from the ATM at Beijing International airport and exchanging the Chinese currency for USD. The money is NOT proceeds from criminal activity, like the customs officer alleged. I think he and his supervisor were fishing for excuses and in fact were trying to actually steal my money.

Due to the long interrogation, I missed my flight. I also requested to consult with an attorney which was refused to me. Also, under the Vienna Convention agreement, I requested to see counsel from the American embassy in Canada which was also denied. The customs supervisor suggested that I return to China at my own expense, or to some place across the border in the US. I refused since they stole all my money and that was not my intended destination. All my money was taken and I was left stranded on the American side of the border in the cold in Blaine Washington.

I humbly request that you launch an investigation into to this matter immediately! My family has already contacted The US Embassy American Officer Service Chief Tod Thedy(AMERICAN EMBASSY IN CANADA: Tod Thedy 6046854311 ext 249, John Hoyle ext 246) while I was still sitting in the customs area, right before I was cuffed, kidnapped, and deported to the American side of the border, in Blaine Washington. Perhaps these Canadian agents have done this to others. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND CRIMINAL-LIKE THOSE CUSTOMS AGENTS ARE!!

This is just the short version of this frightening, upsetting, and humiliating ordeal. Thank you.


Sincerely,

PAUL E. CABO, FOUNDER
AMBERXCHANGE, LLC.
BEIJING CHINA, HONG KONG & DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Reply
A320FAN 6:48 PM Nov 16, 2015
Originally Posted by amberxchange:
Language: English
Enforcement action number: 8212-15-1553
Date submitted: 2015-11-05
Date of action: 2015/11/04
Client type: Company
Company name: AMBERXCHANGE, LLC
Company contact first name: Paul
Company contact surname: Cabo
Client address: BEIJING CHINA
Client city: BEIJING
Client country: China
Client province/state other: BEIJING
Client postal/zip code: 100000
Client phone number: 829.816.6886


DEAR AIR CANADA:

Can investigate something terrible that happened to me a few days ago. Or, please forward this email to the proper organizations and associations for review. Thanks.

On, or about November 4th 2015 during transit flight#30 AIR CANADA from Beijing China to the Dominican Rep through Vancouver, I was in possession of approx $9100 in USD to buy amber, coffee, larimar, and chocolate for an import/export company founded by me, but owned by my Chinese wife and legally registered in Beijing. I also have a registered import/export company in my name in the Dominican Rep. Since wife cannot speak English or Spanish, I usually go the the Dominican Rep. to purchase these goods to ship back to China.

My currency (along with some loose bills in Chinese currency) was seized and I was interrogated for over 6-8 hours about the cash. I repeatedly told Officer Louie and his Indian-looking supervisor (his office #604-666-1802) where the money came from and what the money was going to be used for as he could clearly see from the business cards, website, and pics in my cell phone that he hacked into. They refused to believe me. The receipt for the currency exchange while I was rushing through the customs to catch my flight may have been lost, but there is security footage of me taking the money from the ATM at Beijing International airport and exchanging the Chinese currency for USD. The money is NOT proceeds from criminal activity, like the customs officer alleged. I think he and his supervisor were fishing for excuses and in fact were trying to actually steal my money.

Due to the long interrogation, I missed my flight. I also requested to consult with an attorney which was refused to me. Also, under the Vienna Convention agreement, I requested to see counsel from the American embassy in Canada which was also denied. The customs supervisor suggested that I return to China at my own expense, or to some place across the border in the US. I refused since they stole all my money and that was not my intended destination. All my money was taken and I was left stranded on the American side of the border in the cold in Blaine Washington.

I humbly request that you launch an investigation into to this matter immediately! My family has already contacted The US Embassy American Officer Service Chief Tod Thedy(AMERICAN EMBASSY IN CANADA: Tod Thedy 6046854311 ext 249, John Hoyle ext 246) while I was still sitting in the customs area, right before I was cuffed, kidnapped, and deported to the American side of the border, in Blaine Washington. Perhaps these Canadian agents have done this to others. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND CRIMINAL-LIKE THOSE CUSTOMS AGENTS ARE!!

This is just the short version of this frightening, upsetting, and humiliating ordeal. Thank you.


Sincerely,

PAUL E. CABO, FOUNDER
AMBERXCHANGE, LLC.
BEIJING CHINA, HONG KONG & DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
If you will traveling with more then a certain amount of currency, (usually more then $10,000 USD), and you fail to declare it when traveling out, and customs and border protection catches you, then it is all on you ...NOT Air Canada in Beijing or anyone else just you. If CBP in any country catches you and you have failed to declare the cash, they can seize it from you and make entry and exit very difficult. I see you experienced that 1st hand. I see it all the time when boarding international flights for my airline. Air Canada will not reimburse you for your loss of $$$$.
Reply
amberxchange 11:17 PM Nov 16, 2015
$9100 dollars is NOT more than $10,000. Also, why try to make me pay for a ticket back to Beijing when they took all my money to begin with? Why refuse to allow me to see embassy counsel? Why interrogate me for over 6-8 hours and ask the same retarded questions? Why cuff me and throw me in the back of a vehicle without money and leave me stranded on the other side of the border. Can you comment on this unjustifiable behaviour by customs???
Reply
A320FAN 10:29 AM Nov 17, 2015
Originally Posted by amberxchange:
$9100 dollars is NOT more than $10,000. Also, why try to make me pay for a ticket back to Beijing when they took all my money to begin with? Why refuse to allow me to see embassy counsel? Why interrogate me for over 6-8 hours and ask the same retarded questions? Why cuff me and throw me in the back of a vehicle without money and leave me stranded on the other side of the border. Can you comment on this unjustifiable behaviour by customs???
Customs and Border protection is generally given carte blanche authority to do what they want and how they want. If you failed to declare $9,100.00 to customs authorities prior to leaving China, They may deem you trying to smuggle or lauder money out of the country. If they want you to pay for a new ticket back, then you will be buying a new ticket back. Next time try
using smaller dollar amounts and declaring to customs authorities the money, but keep 2-3 credit cards with you for emergency purposes, and keep the balance at $000.00 and notify the credit card companies they you are traveling out of your country and were your going. This way if you cash is seized, then you still have your credit cards.
Reply
amberxchange 12:13 PM Nov 17, 2015
Carte Blanche means violating people's rights??? I DON'T THINK SO. You don't even mention their illegal treament of a person. YOUR WEAK EXCUSE FOR THEIR BEHAVIOR WON'T HOLD WATER IN A CIVIL SUIT FOR SURE.

I have never had to declare under 10000 USD. COMING FROM CHINA.
Reply
SullivanC 4:03 AM Dec 21, 2015
Dear Mr Cabo,

Let me introduce myself, my name is Sullivan Catherine, I'm a 4th year student in Harvard Law School, now doing a research on custom officers abuses. I am very interested in your case and would like to discuss it furthermore.
There are several issues I would like to raise in your case and would like to clarify the situation if possible. Carrying some cash implies declaration, and you should be aware that you should normally declare it. Normally the Canadian legislation requires that you should declare any amount over CAD10.000, however, if you were carrying USD9.100, you should be entitled to declare it.
Were you in Transit only ? Or were you crossing the border ? Normally if you are in transit you might not have to go through customs inspection. So maybe if you went out of the airport and came back in, it looked suspicious. However, if you consider any abuse of power, you should follow some legal actions. I don't think the airline company should be considered responsible.
Have you filed a lawsuit following this matter ? As I see, the topic is old of one month, have you had any follow up ?
You can talk to me in private if you wish. Thanks
Best regards,

Catherine
Reply
disnoke 6:34 AM Dec 21, 2015
Maybe first check the canadian website, if you are carrying more then 10 000 cad. You need te declare it, 9100 usd is i think around 12000 cad
Reply
Burgers 5:09 PM Dec 22, 2015
Pretty simple really. Import more than 10,000 CDN without declaring it the money is subject to seizure. Fill out the customs declaration you are filling out a legal document.
9100 USD is well over 10,000 CDN, not sure what the beef here is.
The law students comment doesn't take into account the exchange rate (talk about college fail) There is no "transit only" where you don't go through the customs inspection process since you are legally entering Canada no matter if you are flying out an hour later. Why? Thinking cap time.... flight cancels you go to a hotel you are now staying in Canada.
Reply
SullivanC 10:51 AM Dec 23, 2015
Originally Posted by Burgers:
Pretty simple really. Import more than 10,000 CDN without declaring it the money is subject to seizure. Fill out the customs declaration you are filling out a legal document.
9100 USD is well over 10,000 CDN, not sure what the beef here is.
The law students comment doesn't take into account the exchange rate (talk about college fail) There is no "transit only" where you don't go through the customs inspection process since you are legally entering Canada no matter if you are flying out an hour later. Why? Thinking cap time.... flight cancels you go to a hotel you are now staying in Canada.
You could be right, however if you stay in international area you are not crossing the customs control. Then, you are not under this circumstances of getting checked. If you decide to cross the customs check with the money because you need to go to the hotel, this is the passenger's problem and responsibilities.
I have taken into consideration the exchange rate and said he was to declare it. I just would like to understand the overall story as he was normally not supposed to crosse border.
Reply
Burgers 12:18 PM Dec 23, 2015
A fast Google search reveals that passengers transiting from international to international MUST clear Canadian customs, its even on YVR's webpage.

You are filling in a declaration card on the aircraft, because you are entering Canada. It doesn't matter if you are not staying you are entering Canada. If the flight cancels or you decide to skip the flight you are now in Canada uninspected, thus the reason you must clear customs in Canada prior to your next flight. Not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp.
Declaration card = you are declaring you are or not bringing in more than 10K CDN. It doesn't matter if you are staying, where are you landing? Get it?
Reply
Reply Up