Other Airline Complaints If we receive 10 complaints about an airline, we will create a specific section for it above.

Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:25 AM
Ilagam Ilagam is offline

Join Date: Dec 2009
Thumbs down Air Transat Complaint

Avoid Air Transat! What you buy is not what you get. I recently purchased a 7 day package to Mexico from Vancouver. Less than 3 weeks before departure, Air Transat changed the flight times such that our holiday was changed from a 7 day package to a 6 day package. On top of that, instead of leaving Mexico at 3pm, we were now going to leave at midnight. We have 4 children under 8 years old and that would not have worked, especially returning 4 days before Christmas. Plus, it is not what we purchased! We wanted a 7 day trip to Mexico. We found Air Transat staff completely unhelpful and at time down right rude. It really feels that they have little concern for their customers! They would not honour our reservation at any other time and basically stated that if we were unhappy, we could just cancel. This did not take into account the 400 dollars in insurance we lost. We were also quite surprised to realize that although we would not be using the 2 rooms on the 7th night, Air Transat offered no reduction in the price of our package. I have contacted the president of Air Transat directly and would encourage any one having problems with Air Transat to do so as well. His email address is [email protected] . I will also make a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I have contacted a Canadian federal agency which deals with complaints about companies whose business practices are questionable. The contact number for this agency is 1-800-348-5358 (ask for the complaints department). We, as consumers, need to be more vocal in order to make airline companies more accountable.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:39 AM
trendywendy1220 trendywendy1220 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2009
Default AirtranSPLAT

Thanks for the tip - I have been getting nowhere fast with my complaints - kind of like flying with this service, isn't it?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:09 PM
grant taylor grant taylor is offline

Join Date: Feb 2010
Thumbs down AIR TRANSAT... expect the worst

we booked a holiday to cuba ,3nites Havana 4nites resort.we booked in Oct 15. some time later, full payment was made as usual. our original departure was a redeye from Calgary, Friday 13 12.00 am with arrival in varadero about 6 am. just fine with a 2hr buss ride to havana we have all day to explore before checkin. THEN upon checking E tickets our flight had been changed to departure time 7 pm and arrival about 2 pm and to havana about 5 AM. this brilliant move shorted us a full day in Havana. we paid 7 days and only receiving 6!!! this is certainly NOT ACCEPTABLE! The now x-travel agent and air transit dont seem to care about return customers. n ow custumer relations (shawn) says we are actually leaving earlier than before????WTF! cant figure how that works.anyways, at $300.00 per day per person you usually get a little better SERVICE. something they dont know obviously. EXPECT THE WORST>>>>YOU WONT BE DISPPOINTED!!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:28 AM

Location: NY NY

If you booked your trip through a travel agent, why didn't you argue your case with them? They should have been the ones to a) inform you of any changes and b) help you resolve any issues before you leave. I'm not saying air transat is blameless, but you should always resolve your issues with your travel agent before you speak with the airlines.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:43 AM

TO the OP:

You can safely ignore that last post suggesting that you go to the travel agent.

The law is clear and it has been held in a number of cases, the last being Rottman v El Al [2008] by a New York court that once the travel agent has issued the ticket, the contract is between the passenger and the principal to the contract, the airline and from thereafter any redress sought by the passenger is against the airline and not the agent. There is no issue to resolve with the agent.

It would be better if some people indeed kept silent
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:35 AM

Location: NY NY

Trust me Grant, if you listen to Sin... I mean Jerkero, you'd spend a lot of money for nothin. Though you're contract is with the airlines, you still booked through a travel agent and as such you should talk to them FIRST to resolve a situation before proceeding further, since they are the ones whom you gave your money too and they are the ones capable of rebooking you, especially to better reaccomodate you.

Some people need to learn to stay banned.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:23 PM

TO Grant:

My former post was to the OP whose trip is over. With regard to you Grant, some travel agents will try to assist a passenger so although you have no issue with the travel agent, it would be a good idea to see to what extent your travel agent is willing to assist you.

However contrary to what Duche thinks, seeking redress against an airline does not involve spending money. If it's a complaint to the DOT, that's just a form to fill out on the internet and if it's a small claims case, that's free apart from a minimal filing fee. If it comes to a complaint, whether to DOT or to the Court, you do not name the travel agent as a defendant where the agent has disclosed the name of the airline.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:41 PM

Location: NY NY

The word is "******", learn to spell. Second your advice is just awful, simply dreadful. third stop harassing people in PM. If you can't confront them in main and say what you wanna say, then don't say anything at all.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:36 AM

Originally Posted by grant taylor View Post

Grant,

With respect to your claim, our travel expert on this forum Silent Bob Jerkero and I have discussed this further privately. We think you are entitled to a partial refund from Air Transat in the sum of $300 per person for loss of the one day of your holiday.

We suggest you just take your vacation, then upon your return write them a letter claiming the refund. You will not get it. But your need this to show you tried to resolve your dispute by letter. Then your course of action is to file a claim in small claims court in your jurisdiction. You should have one in Calgary.

The forms are easy to fill out and you don't need to hire an Attorney. Airlines seldom attend court for a small claims action and you are likely to win by default. But if Air Transat has an office in Calgary someone may attend.

In any case Silent Bob Jerkero and I think they cannot justify what they did after you paid for your ticket. An airline is allowed to change their schedules, but not in such as way as to cause you the loss of part of your vacation. You are protected by the Montreal Convention as this is international travel, and the change in schedule is effectively a delay in arrival in Cuba. Article 19 of the Convention provides strict liability for damages for delay. Nothing marked on the ticket can justify the loss of your vacation day. Next they could adjust their schedule so you lose two days and so on.

Silent Bob Jerkero is an expert on this, so let us know if you have any questions.

Last edited by Cicero; Feb 7, 2010 at 4:40 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ilagam View Post
TO the OP:

Silent Bob Jerkero and I have looked at your case too. We think it is just wasting time to complain to Federal agencies and so on, unless in Canada you have something like the DOT in the US that is ready and willing to fine the airline. There is no need to embarrass Air Transat much as you as an aggrieved customer would like to. What I think you want is to be compensated for your losses - this is the $400 insurance you lost (not sure how) and a pro rata adjustment to the cost of your package for loss of a day's holiday.

YOur remedy is to go to small claims court in Vancouver. It is easy. Help in filling out forms (but not legal advice) is freely given by court clerks.

Silent Bob Jerkero and I have been consumer advocates for a long time. Consumer rights is not trying to make others boycott a merchant unless it is for a temporary purpose for a specific reason - say to force the merchant to reverse an unjustified price increase. Consumer rights is also not to force a merchant to close down. This will hurt you as well, as when a merchant goes out of business you reduce competition and the remaining merchant(s) are freeier to do as they please. As in your case, Air Transat must get the message that they cannot after the conclusion of a contract of carriage, reduce the passenger's holiday. And they get this message when you use the small claims court to force them to compensate you. The more people do it, the less they will think they can get away with things like this.

Last edited by Cicero; Feb 7, 2010 at 5:07 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:43 PM
grant taylor grant taylor is offline

Join Date: Feb 2010

thanks for your advice. all i want is what i have paid for. i paid for seven days and expect the same. small claims court is the way to go i suppose, however that shouldnt have to happen. thanks again. grant
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:03 PM

Join Date: Aug 2010

Iam in the process of taking AirT to small claims court - I encourage others who have had problems with them to do the same.

My court date is in Sept 2010 - I'm sueing them. I will not let this company walk all over me. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with such business.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:49 AM
airportparking airportparking is offline

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: munich/Germany

Thank you very much for the information. It is very helpful........
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:52 PM

Default Air Transat Lawsuit

As mentioned above - I took Air Transat to small claims court over an incident I had with them, and an error they made. They didnt want to be accountable for their error so I took them to court.....and I won!

I was asking for a crazy amount in my claim, in which I wasnt expecting to get, but I was trying to prove a point. I did receive all my out of pocket expense back and then some. Most importantly they've lots all my future business as well as my family and friends business. Sometimes word of mouth is the best advertising. I hope they don't treat others the way I was treated.

Don't be afraid of these big companies. Too many "little" people just walk away and the "big" people get away with it. I didn't use a lawyer, I represented myself. It's easier then people think.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:43 PM
Jaenner2 Jaenner2 is offline

Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Take it as far as you need to..

I'm undecided on what to do what about the airline I have made a complaint about. It has left me no choice. I made a complaint against (AB) They are not complying with the law nor my complaint. These are businesses that are too big to fail and have rules to cover up their mistakes. This is the same reason why companies should be held accountable for their actions and responsibilities. The airline I made a complaint about has deliberately ignored BBB.org. I am not able to sit and watch them mishandle or treat others in the same fashion. The general people, workers, consumers, we all have power and not aware of how much power we have and what its capabilities are. As a believer in telling all truth, I wanted to give Air Berlin a chance to take responsibility.

Please stand up with your complaints, speak up and take it as far as you need to go to be heard. If we sit and let ourselves get ran over we should be just that -- consumers. I hope this helps anyone with a complaint from an airline. Feel free to PM me.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:19 AM

Join Date: Aug 2010

Air Transat did not respond to BBB's request too. Or if they did it was just an acknowelgement email. That is why it gave me no choice but to try CTA and TICO. When they were not able to help me - I filed a claim in small claims court.

Agreed, we ALL need to stand up to big companies...airlines or not. If no one stands up to them, they will continue to walk all over the little guys (us).
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:02 PM
Jaenner2 Jaenner2 is offline

Join Date: Oct 2010
Default A snake....

b1pnay74 you are exactly right. In fact, companies have the right to make the example instead they disappoint me and turn out to to be snakes...See snake behavior below. This is my response to (AB). I called customer service to speak with a higher person, since we were not hearing from them. A lady used my information against me, they didnt have the proof that I emailed them and that they emailed me back. She seemed like she wanted to help me instead I find big gaps... My response...

I am highly disappointed,

V*** contacted me after I try getting a hold of any customer service to deal with my complaint. She asked me to send her documents that is proving I have contacted Air Berlin for help on what I should do about my flash. She made it seem like she was trying to help me since my emails and responses have been in neglected. I was told a PIR report was not filed but since it is my first time to fly with Air Berlin, I do not know what this document was and never heard of such document. In fact, on Monday I called to Air Berlin to receive help and find out why they are not responding to BBB and spoke with V*****, she explained to me what a PIR report is. V***** used my emails to respond to BBB. When I returned to the United States I searched Air Berlins website for baggage information, I saw baggage allowance but did not see a PIR report. If Air Berlins interest was in the customer and would listen to the complaint, they would have explained to me what a PIR report is instead of leaving me in the dark and dragging this complaint out. The traveler must be informed that this document is in existence. It is the customer service responsibility to explain what this document is. I'm not a employee of Air Berlin, and never flown with Air Berlin so how would I know? I would have happily filled out this document in the event that I would have known where and what this document was.

If they would have told me what a PIR report was, they would have to compensate me. This is snake behavior. By the time they responded to my inquiry about my flash, a PIR report would be invalid. I have not a doubt a company produces a rule to cover up for their responsibilities.

I will not apologize for my honesty because this is not the way to treat customers.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:48 PM
andy78 andy78 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Livid with Air Transat

I booked a non-refundable flight with Air Transat through Expedia and I heavily regret dealing with BOTH companies. I really hope Air Transat will make this right. My situation changed and all I need to do is change the flight dates. After being put on hold at least 10 times by a very inept Air Transat customer service representative, I was finally told that I need to contact Expedia. I do that, and go through a very long and expensive process, as I was calling long distance, to be told that Expedia can't help me.

ALL I WANT IS FLIGHT CREDIT for a flight that was already over priced. I know West Jet would do it. I've emailed the president of West Jet and I'm hoping for a positive outcome.

Has anyone had any luck at least getting flight credit with this airline?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:45 PM
alwaysflyin alwaysflyin is offline

Join Date: Apr 2013

Unfortunately I think the answer is in the first 5 words of your post. "I BOOKED A NON - REFUNDABLE FLIGHT."
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:00 PM
andy78 andy78 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Response

Yeah Alwaysflyin, I know the situation; I'm the one who wrote about it so your condescending response isn't necessary or appreciated. I'm seeking flight credit, as many other airlines would offer....not a refund. If you have nothing positive or useful to write, no need to write it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:27 PM
alwaysflyin alwaysflyin is offline

Join Date: Apr 2013

I know it's not what you want to hear, but if you want flexibility, and the ability to make changes you needed to purchase another class of ticket. You can't buy a hyundai and expect it to have the features of a Mercedes. You gambled on the cheaper non refundable ticket but it obviously wasnt the ticket right for your travel needs.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:57 PM
Disgruntled Canadian Disgruntled Canadian is offline

Join Date: Oct 2016
Angry Air Transat - BUYER BEWARE - Bait & Switch after you book

I booked last week through Red Tag for a vacation to Cancun with Transat and received confirmation then airline confirmation and printed it all off only to receive an urgent email from Red Tag that they forwarded from Transat saying HOTEL RELOCATION. They were offering to relocate us to a 5* hotel, however, if you looked online it was cheaper than we paid and made no offer to refund the difference and worse it wasn't the same kind of resort and where our resort rated #2 on Trip Advisor they were now moving us to a hotel rated #17?!!!

The old saying when the deal seems to good to be true...IT IS. In this case sun Wing and others were litterally thousands of dollars more so there was no way Transat was going to be able to come through on what they sold us and sure enough they didn't. Easy to say but in your mind you think oh they must have empty seats or rooms they have to fill as it was only weeks away from departure but it was clearly a bait n switch. unfortunately for us the resort and its sister resort are both sold out now so no options with any other wholesaler.

First and last time ever booking with Transat. BUYER BEWARE
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:32 PM
Sidewaysrob Sidewaysrob is offline

Join Date: Feb 2015

Disgruntled Canadian: Your problem isn't Transat, its with the independent site Red Tag.

At least complain about the Scammers that ripped you off, not the combined airline and travel agency that hasn't tried yet.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:05 PM
Disgruntled Canadian Disgruntled Canadian is offline

Join Date: Oct 2016
Default TRANSAT is the one who CANCELLED my HOTEL

Sidewayrob, I did go through Red Tag and escalated it to their Manager who was dealing with Air Transat Holidays for 2 days trying to get an answer from them why TRANSAT issued a room relocation notice. This was a week after my original booking and recieving all the electronic confirmations which to me once you've received confirmations it is confirmed and booked. TRANSAT is blaming it on a system error as that Desire Resort should not have been listed as one of their properties. Hence why I also believe it was a bait and switch because that property is in super high demand basically sold out for November except for wholesalers who have room blocks and even they're mainly sold out so Transat took advantage posted it for a week sucked a pile of us in then the following week when we had no other option to book the property with another wholesaler turned around and issued the relocation notice to a cheaper property with no offer of any compensations BECAUSE I'm sure they way undersold the package as it was far below any other wholesaler such as Sun Wing.

Red Tag did the best they could to help me fix a bad situation that was not their fault as it originated with TRANSAT and refunded my money and booked me to Hedo in Jamaica and NOT WITH TRANSAT which it looks like Red Tag deducted commissions or managed to get me a better rate than anything posted for what i had been through. Red Tag did far more for me than TRANSAT did. All TRANSAT does is suck people in and downgrade them when its too late to take a refund and book the same vacation with another supplier. I have shared all this on my fb page, other forums, and every internet opportunity i can think of. At least in today's day and age we have the power to inform others of the greed of some of the corporations. Glad to see my fb post being shared with many others and hopefully save some other people the pain and anger of having their holiday plans blown up. First time booking with Transat and will be my last. Interestingly I have had several friends or friends of friends email me on fb saying they've had the same experience over the yrs and won't book with Transat either. So go ahead blame the travel agent but when its a repeat behaviour it's TRANSAT's business practice not the travel agent.

Oh and by the way Transat owns their own planes and wholesale company so it's all one company that screwed me over.

Originally Posted by Sidewaysrob View Post

Old May 30, 2018, 2:35 AM
tanyaC tanyaC is offline

Join Date: May 2018
Default Air Transat Pointe Clair Agent!

This is what I sent to the president to Air Transat as well as anyone else I could find in management:
Dear Mr Austache,

I am well aware that you are a busy man therefore I will get right to the point. I am writing you in regards to an issue our family is having with one of your tour agents, at the your Pointe Claire office in Montreal Quebec.

In December 2017 we booked a trip to Negril leaving Montreal March 4th 2018 for 7 days. We requested insurance but we had a hard time understanding the agent and the request was obviously lost in translation. We also admit that we did not validate the invoice and I only noticed it once I received the E ticket, in February 2018.

I then inquired if we could still purchase cancellation insurance. We knew my father in law was ill and wanted some compensation for my husband’s ticket if he was required to cancel to be with his family. The agent advised us that we could purchase insurance with ManuLife for “Any Reason” cancellation as long as we cancelled 14 days before departure and we would only be refunded 50% of the ticket. We agreed that it would be better than nothing. We purchased the insurance February 10th 2018.

In the end my spouse did have to cancel and we cancelled 14 days before departure as we were advised.

I put through the claim to ManuLife and was told that our claim was refused because we would have had to purchase the insurance within 72 hrs from the date we booked the trip. The agent led us to believe that the only condition we had to meet was to cancel 14 day before departure. He took our money and we felt confident that we were covered for 50% of my husband’s trip only to find out he omitted to mention that purchasing the insurance in February 2018 for a package that was bought in December 2017 was useless. We lost the $2100.00 of my husband’s trip plus $182.00 for the insurance.

I called and requested that Mrs. Johanne Cote, responsible for the Pointe Claire, Qc office call me. I explained to her that her agent gave us false information and that I felt that Transat should compensate us 50% of my husband’s trip plus the amount of the useless insurance. I also request that the agent Thai Pham be at the very least reprimanded. Neither his English or French is adequate enough to be dealing with the public and furthermore he obviously needs educating on the products he is selling to the Transat customers.

This evening Mrs Cote replied to me with a less than favorable answer, she indicates in her email that her agent informed us by email that “We could cancel for ANY REASON with PROOF”. The issue at hand is, regardless if we had provided proof, even a doctor’s note saying my husband was sick, the plan was null and void from the start because we would have had to purchase it within 72 hrs of booking our trip in December 2018 and not in February 2018 as the agent led us to believe. Basically, in the end, she reaffirms her agent was at fault but there was nothing she could do. She then goes on in her email to advise us to try again with Manulife by providing my father in laws death certificate ( he passed February 28th 2018) which is totally fraudulent since we purchased the plan knowing he was sick, hence the reason for opting for “Cancellation for Any Reason”. Attached you will find the email and all the supporting documents.

It’s important to mention that we travel minimum 4 times a year and have given a substantial amount of our hard earned money to Transat and have never once had an issue and I am terribly disappointed in the agent at Pointe Claire office. I understand that the money we spend with Air Transat is probably minimal considering the amount of people traveling through the world however to us the amount is substantial especially when we were led to believe that a portion would come back to us.

As indicated to Mrs. Cote, I do not want to take legal action however if this matter cannot be resolved I will have no other option.

Thank you.

Air Transat - Avoid Fyn Other Airline Complaints 5 Dec 11, 2012 9:22 AM
Air Transat (and Thomas Cook) - leaves two minors stranded Kristin P Other Airline Complaints 5 Aug 14, 2009 12:30 PM
Complaint M-J General Discussion 1 Mar 27, 2009 6:51 PM
Customer Service Another complaint ubrowp2 Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Nov 10, 2008 5:02 AM