COMPLAINT: Qantas - Terrible service

Old May 30, 2008, 8:50 AM
jamesduk jamesduk is offline

Join Date: May 2008

On my final night in Sydney, Australia my friend and I were both mugged in the streets of Kings Cross. Both of us were physically assaulted and had possessions of ours stolen from us.

As a result of the mugging I had to spend several hours in Kings Cross Police Station making a statement about the assault and consequently couldn't get to the airport on time for my Qantas flight to Christchurch, New Zealand as part of my OneWorld round-the-world ticket.

Qantas refused to transfer me to the next available flight on the following day for free and instead demanded nearly 150 australian dollars (almost 150 US dollars). They advised I may as well book a flight with their partner budget carrier JetStar for a flight that left the same day which cost 200 dollars.

After complaining to Qantas about the unsympathetic handling of my difficult circumstances where I was a victim of a crime in Australia they refuse to do anything for me, insisting it is not their problem.

For a national carrier I expected some degree of understanding and hope that bringing this to this forum will shame the company into doing what is right and apologising.

James D, UK

Old May 31, 2008, 11:44 PM
ChrisH ChrisH is offline

Join Date: Oct 2007
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

jamesduk-

It us unfortunate what happened to you, in Australia, but it isn't Qantas' fault, they are right to make that statement. As far as they are concerned, you didn't show up to your flight. As a former airline employee, I've heard excuse, after excuse, when people have missed their flights.

The only recommendation I have, is that you may try calling, and talking with Qantas customer service, and offering to fax over a copy of the police report, proving what happened to you. They may refund you the money you had to spend to get on another flight, or at least, provide a voucher for the amount you had to pay, out of a courtesy.

Keep in mind, however, that it truly isn't Qantas' fault, and if their policy is that if you miss a flight, you must pay, than that is their policy, regardless of the circumstances. ALWAYS read the terms of the fare you are purchasing, so that you are aware of what rights you may have, in the event that something like this happens.

Often times people purchase the cheapest possible ticket they can find, and in turn, the cheap fare doesn't offer much protection, if any, if an unforseen event takes place. My advice is to always purchase a refundable ticket. I don't know about Qantas, but at least for U.S. airlines, if your ticket is refundable, they can make changes to it, without paying a change fee, etc. You may pay a little more for the ticket, but refundable is the BEST way to go, since air travel can have it problems, and sometimes, life's events, can happen out of no where.

Now .. I have no idea how much you spent on your ticket, and whether or not it is refundable, or not. I also don't know how foreign airlines operate. In the U.S., at least, people often do not realize that different 'fare rules' apply, depending on the ticket you are purchasing. People never read the fares rules. Always be aware of what you are purshasing, before booking a flight. Know what your choices will be, and what the airline will/will not do for you, in the event something happens, such as a delay, cancellation, or you just miss your flight.

Customer Service Etihad Airways - terrible experience zubairn Etihad Airways Complaints 7 Jun 30, 2013 3:06 AM
Baggage Problems terrible baggage and handling service madmcd05 Southwest Airlines Complaints 1 Jan 24, 2009 7:12 AM
Jet Star/Qantas: worlds BEST customer service? Enervated traveler Other Airline Complaints 0 Mar 31, 2008 11:58 AM
Customer Service Terrible Customer Service cstaab United Airlines Complaints 0 Jun 19, 2007 12:36 AM
In-flight Issue terrible flight cc1345 American Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 14, 2007 1:27 AM