COMPLAINT: Ryanair - Worst UK Airline

Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:10 PM
DK8 DK8 is offline

Join Date: Aug 2008

I live on airlines for my work - RyanAir is easily the worst airline operating out of the UK. They treat their customers with insolence and contempt routinely. Their check and boarding procedures are a mess. On the last two flights I was forced to fly with them in both cases I gave up my "free-seating" seat so that crying children could be re-united with their unhappy parents - ask anyone in the queue standing next to you what their opinion of RyanAir is and you'll get a diatribe - that the airline make it all but impossible to register your feelings with them by charging a fortune to phone them says it all - IMHO AVOID this airline at any cost. Can't wait until they go broke from people voting with their feet and using other carriers

I couldn't checkin online last week - and I'm UK based - their website is a mess

Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:17 PM
Jeff Thomas Jeff Thomas is offline

Join Date: Nov 2008

I recently was unable to attend a flight because of illness and I attempted to recover some of the lost money through my travel insurance. I was booked to fly to Cork with Aer Lingus from Manchester and they were fantastic as they sent me a "no-show" email in 24hrs free of charge and also re-imbursed the tax element of the fare (£14.75).

I was booked to fly back with Ryanair from Cork to Liverpool and tried to get in contact with them through their web site. The web site states that they charge £14 for a no-show letter and directed me to a 0870 number (charging 10p a minute) to arrange payment. I listened to a lengthy explanation about services in general and was then directed to use a 0900 number (charging £1 per minute) to speak to them.

That was a step too far. Taking all my address and card details could have ended up costing me around £30 (with the £14 charge), the fare was only £49. I wrote a single page letter and faxed it to them with all my details including email address and have had no response. How can they be allowed to earn profit in this way because someone fell ill? They have also pocketed the tax element of the fare.

I will only use this airline again if nothing else is available.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:56 PM

Ryanair is by far the worst example of an anti customer airline and I never fly with them. US airlines, such as Delta are rapidly catching up.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yamyam flyer Yamyam flyer is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009

While no specific complaints about Ryan recently, I would have to agree that they are generally appalling so I avoid wherever possible. Unfortunately I am flying with them next week (due to routing and timings there was no choice). It is not an experience I am looking forward to.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:13 AM
Etihad Representative Etihad Representative is offline
OFFICIAL AIRLINE REPRESENTATIVE - ACCOUNT SUSPENDED DUE TO NON-RENEWAL

Location: Abu Dhabi - UAE

I had friends recently who tried to visit me here in the middle east, They had Ryanair tickets, and onward conx with my airline (Not personally mine unfortunately ), Ryanair cancelled the flight with no explanation, and would not reebook my friends, I am perplexed as to why they refused to rebook them, and they have not managed to get a reason until now. they were travelling to me from MAN on Standby tickets and eventually they decided not to travel, as it would have cost them double the original price to rebook another carrier to MAN from their origin, however they have sworn off Ryanair for good.

I have IMHO never encountered an airline as customer unfocused as Ryan Air, I know all airlines have their good and bad staff but usually the good counter the bad, not this one ... Keep up the bad work Ryan Air!!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:40 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

RyanAir is a discount "no-frills" airline and like Southwest here in the USA has no interline agreements for ticketing or baggage with other airlines. (Well, they did with one carrier before that one went belly-up, and are about to enter into a limited partnership with a Mexican discount carrier - but in general, they are not a "full service" airline.) This means if you are using RyanAir for onward connections, you have to re-check bags with the other carrier and if something goes wrong with the RyanAir flight they are under no obligation to re-book you on another airline in order to make your connection.

If you are only traveling point-to-pont on a discount carrier like RyanAir and don't mind the cut-rate service you get for the cut-rate ticket then fine but I would never recommend using RyanAir, Southwest or the like if you are connecting to another airline. In other words - you get what you pay for!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:23 AM
Etihad Representative Etihad Representative is offline
OFFICIAL AIRLINE REPRESENTATIVE - ACCOUNT SUSPENDED DUE TO NON-RENEWAL

Location: Abu Dhabi - UAE

Hiya yeah as an airline worker I am aware of all elements of your post, that being the reason why i included the standby element really, was really just relaying my friends experience, ranting always makes me feel better!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:36 AM

Ryanair are at it again. They rant against BAA rip off charges for landing for example, but they impose them themselves. Their credit card charges are massive,but there are no real alternative ways to pay. Now, if you shop in the duty free and have a plastic bag with you when you board the plane they are charging you an extra £25. Their charges for customers who wish to contact them to seek redress are a disgrace and should be illegal. AVOID AVOID AVOID
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:27 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Sad to say my dear Jim, but I agree with you here! RyanAir is the Wal~Mart of European discount air carriers. They lead you to believe that you are getting a great price for your travel but then hit you up with all these fees and add-ons that amount to almost as much as if you had taken a "full-service" airline. Shame on them for deceiving the traveling public that they are saving money when if compared to other carriers with inclusive pricing the savings are negligible.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:19 AM

PHX.... I am starting to worry. We have agreed in two forums... are you going soft in your old age and starting to empathise with passengers or have you turned me? Either way, it's disturbing
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:28 AM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
Old age? I'm not sure how old you think I am but I'm not even middle-aged yet and oft mistaken for a person nearly 10 years my junior. I've even had to deal with some sideways glances when I'm boarded into first class when upgraded due to my status. (I occasionally treat myself to a paid first-class ticket as well, but that is rare.) I'm often the youngest in the front cabin and people wonder just how I got the status. If they only knew how often my bum hurts from the amount of time it's planted in an airline seat. The first class seats on domestic routes aren't as cushy as they used to be!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:23 PM

Join Date: Apr 2009

RYANAIR AND AGENTS ARE DOING A CABIN CREW RECRUITMENT SCAM,PLEASE BEWARE,SIGN OUR PETITION AGAINST RYANAIR.THANK YOU

THEY ARE TERMINATING PROBATION CABIN CREW TO KEEP TRAINING COURSE'S FULL.
BIG,BIG SCAM......
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:00 PM

You should contact: Dept of Employment and Office of Fair Trading and ask for this to be investigated. Your daughter should file a claim for unfair dismissal. If 20 people were terminated, and it is true that 60% of trainees are terminated before full contract you may have evidence of fraud and be able to make a complaint. I would contact an Irish Employment Advisor. You may also want to consider contacting the IAA and Watchdog. However, be very careful of your facts when attacking Ryanair.. they are litigious and very aggressive when riled..
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:24 PM

This is just a big spammer. 8-10 of the same post in different subforums.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:10 AM

Join Date: Apr 2009

thanks for your reply jimworcs,its an irish company,different rules and probation cabin crew have no right to claim,its not fraud because they give you wings for your course fee,thank you for your info.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:12 AM

Join Date: Apr 2009

well you are THE JUDGE....and its a real issue JUDGE.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:26 PM

Join Date: Apr 2009

Most disliked airline to the irish is ryanair.Even so many uk flyers hate them they still use ryanair because of the cost.Most flyers now are more intersted in how much money they save,forget the credit crunch,that is not the real reason why they fly ryanair,its because money is the most important issue,the same as ryanair ..money money money.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:46 AM
Morgenhund Morgenhund is offline

Join Date: Aug 2009

Sorry, but who uses Ryanair for business. If you can offset taxes on business travel why put yourself through the hell of Ryanscare...
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:35 PM
Baby* Baby* is offline

Join Date: Jan 2010

I booked my Ryan air ticket, and 1 week later got an email from them that they are changing my flight, 4 hrs ealier than the originally booked. Then after 9 more days a get a second email, well ... you guessed it right***&&&^^%%%$$ They are changing again my flight times, this time delay of 2.5 hrs from the original booking later, and 6.5 hrs from the rebooked time they 1st changed it to!!! What is this, you fly... you do not fly... you fly... you do not...

This has got to be totally, totally out of norm for any business, for any, even criminals do not do dirty business like that...

So you DO NOT FLY RYAN AIR!!! Do not, save yourself the headache dealing with this crap airline. This is my last booking with them. I hope they go under and disapear from the available airlines in Europe.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:21 AM

It never ceases to amaze me that people have not learnt this lesson by now. Ryanair are the least customer friendly airline in the world. They scam, lie and cheat as part of their business plan. They are terrible. However, I will correct you on one factual error. Ryanair are not a UK airline..they are Irish!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:35 PM

Join Date: Apr 2009

RYANAIR GREATEST TRAINING ROBBERY.
PLEASE ALSO SIGN OUR PETITION AGAINST RYANAIR.
AND STJAMES MANAGEMENT THE RYANAIR CABIN CREW TRAINERS.
ALL ON OUR BLOG
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:35 PM
acruet acruet is offline

Join Date: Jan 2012

We chose Ryan Air because they attracted us with low competitive rates.
Our flights for three of us family members, from Barcelona to Malaga Spain.
We had been in Spain for long enough to not have received email warning us of two issues that caused us to pay penalties which added up to far more than our air fare.

1). If you do not provide a printed boarding pass they now charge the inexplicably exorbitant rate of 40 Euros per boarding pass, at the check in counter in order to be allowed to take your flight.
How is it justifiable? It cost us 3 X 40 euros to have them print us each a boarding pass.
While traveling, is it safe to assume that anyone can find a printer in order to provide a boarding pass?

2). you are limited to a weight restriction of 15 kilos, which caused every passenger we saw to have to remove items from their luggage. Then these items are placed in carry-on so the end result is that the plane must fly with the same weight aboard.
The charge for overweight is 20 euros per kilo. Each of our bags was 5 kilos over their 15 kilo unrealistic weight for travelers carrying over two weeks of provisions. We had no carry-ons available to transfer the excess weight so we were held hostage once again. While in transit is it safe to assume that anyone has email access?

Please note that on this same trip, we flew both American Air and Air Europa with the same exact baggage weight, and suffered no penalties for overweight bags.

How can anyone justify 100 euros per person in overweight fees, plus 120 euros for three boarding passes, added to the cost of the seat?

We witnessed many passengers being subjected to the same treatment and it was horrifying to see how consistent the abuse is.

If their is no legal recourse, our only hope is to warn others away from Ryan Air.

Do not choose Ryan Air when seeking air accomodations.

Last edited by acruet; Jan 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:22 AM

Ryanair is very much a "gotcha" airline...they post impossibly low fares to suck you in, then charge ridiculous fees for everything from using a debit or credit card, baggage, printing boarding passes, etc. It is a backpacker airline and to be avoided at all costs. It is almost never the best choice to select them... if there are any problems whatsover, you are guaranteed to be abandoned and left to fend for yourself.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:06 PM
6point3 6point3 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2012

If you're a princess or a prince, don't fly with the cheapest airline out there.
And by cheap, I mean the fare.

OBVIOUSLY, with the shortfall of revenue on ticket sales on that end, they will charge you for everything else including customer service, it's that simple.
No training their employees in customer courtesy (no money), in providing a rep for refunds (no money) etc., etc.. You're only paying to fly on that day and that time, no if, when or buts.....

Now other airlines are cutting gradually their services, but that's just to be more profitable, and I don't dig that at all !!

So they 'll all meet somewhere in the middle at common mediocrity, just like everything else !!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:35 PM
6point3 6point3 is offline

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
They lie and cheat as part of their business plan.

AMERICAN companies have done that for years !! and now GOVERNMENT agencies in the US are doing the same. There is no more morality and it's only getting worse !!
On another note they have to, because the next generations are ALL entitled without paying for anything. So they don't want to hear, what you tell them: Personal responsibility and accountability .
Don't blame the Irish. I am sure without knowing, just guessing, that an American came up with the idea, started up the company, (as Corporations are cheaper to run out of Ireland) and bailed himself out before the sh*t hit the fan.............

Reservations The worst airline experience ever - Flight sage1028 Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Oct 2, 2008 6:33 AM
Baggage Problems Worst Experience, Airline or otherwise, it cost my business $100,000ís!!! rolex50 Delta Air Lines Complaints 5 Jun 16, 2008 7:08 PM