COMPLAINT: Ryanair are lying, rip off merchants

Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:43 AM

Ryanair Pricing

I will be travelling to Malaga in November. It is time the myth that Ryanair is cheaper is exploded. They are simply deceptive in their pricing.

The cost of flying from Manchester to Malaga with Easyjet, with one checked bag (max 20kg) from 12th to 19th November is £81.98 return.

The cost of flying from Liverpool to Malaga with Ryanair, with one checked bag (max 20kg) from 12th to 19th November is £111.98.

If you check the same flight for a September departure, Easyjet are only £5 higher than Ryanair.

Why anyone chooses to fly with this nasty hostile airline is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:53 PM

I know someone who got caught out on this Ryanair moneymaking trick. She arrived at the gate and was sent back to get this done and by the time she got back to the gate it's like sorry that will be £300 to get on the next flight. I also think she had to pay extra because their site doesn't allow non EU passengers to online check in.

Non EU/EEA passengers - Document check requirements for online… Non EU/EEA passengers - Document check requirements for online check-in?

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL NON EU/EEA PASSENGERS
Irrespective of a passenger's visa requirements, all non EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and online boarding pass stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security.
All non EU/EEA passengers must do this in order to ensure compliance with immigration authorities.
RYANAIR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION WITHOUT REFUND AND TO DENY YOU BOARDING IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE REQUIREMENT
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
All non EU/EEA passengers must do this in order to ensure compliance with immigration authorities.
No other airline requires this "stamp" that Ryanair require. What this is is a money making scam. Ryanair makes massive profits from finding reasons to deny passengers boarding. In one spanish airport, the airline was refusing to allow passengers to repack their bags to make them both within their miserly 10kg hand baggage limit. When the passengers insisted, they denied them boarding for being "uncooperative".

The Ryanair excuse is that the airline must check there is a valid Visa before allowing the passenger to board. It is the same people who work on the Visa approval desk as work at the gate. Therefore, they can just as easily check that it is valid at the gate. The reason they impose this rule is the same reason they come up with complicated labrythine rules in other areas.. it is to confuse the passenger and to fleece them if they make any slip up.

Other tricks to watch for:

Hand luggage bag size requirements are smaller than for all other airlines. Even if you buy a bag which is "approved for hand luggage", it will not fit in Ryanair's sizer because they only approve one bag. A special Samsonite bag costing over $100.

If you have a printer failure and cannot print your boarding pass, expect to pay £40 each way for 1 A4 size piece of paper.

If you want to take a guitar, expect to pay an additional £100 round trip.

Often hand luggage is checked at the gate just as you are boarding. They will then refuse it, and demand money with menaces. You will be told, pay now or you cannot board. They will then charge you £20 per kilo!! excess baggage fee, plus a fee for the extra bag. If you refuse, you denied boarding. If you protest, you are denied boarding and then charged an exhorbitant fee often over £300 to board the next flight.

If you need a second checked bag, which many passengers travelling on transatlantic flights have... do not transfer to a Ryanair flight for the next leg. Let's say your second bag weighed 20Kg, a fairly typical weight, Ryanair would charge you an unbelieveable £180 each way for your bag.. that is £360 for your second bag. Your first bag would cost you an additional £50 each way. So your total baggage fees would be £460... for two bags weighing 20kg each.

They are cynical, hostile and deceptive. It remains a mystery why anyone, except perhaps a weekend backpacker would ever fly on this horror story of an airline.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:24 PM

Watch out for this Ryanair scam. Once flying out of Stansted on Ryanair I took my laptop out of the laptop bag before getting in the xray line and the security guard told me only 1 carry on piece was allowed and I would have to check my bag in. I told her I just took my laptop for the xray and she said I would either have to check in the laptop or the bag. First I thought it was BAA but someone told me the security agents by the Ryanair check in desks are trained by Ryanair and receive some kind of reward for anyone they stop.
Im glad I didn't take my shoes off as well because they could have made me check in those and charge for 2 more pieces of luggage.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:02 AM

Security in UK airports is a joke, but they are not trained or managed by Ryanair. At Stanstead, security is done by BAA (although probably sub-contracted). However, it is possible that a lying, scheming Ryanair employee told you that the laptop rule was for "security" reasons.. it was not. I travel throughout the UK with my laptop. I have it in a separate bag within a bag.. when I take it out for security, they are perfectly fine for me to put it back in. I did this only last week on a flight from Stanstead to Newcastle.

However, Ryanair check in are notorious for enforcing "rules" which involve you paying the airline vast sums of money.