COMPLAINT: Employees threats..overcharge on seats

Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:55 AM

Spirit Airlines,

Our first time flying with Spirit. We are retired and live in a 407 unit retirement community.

We departed on July 30th from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale to Costa Rica flt 571 to 755. The flight was pleasant and we realized I needed to upgrade my seat on return flight on August 4th flt 756 CR to Ft Lauderdale. Then Ft Lauderdale to Tampa flt 574. So I paid the 50 or 60 dollars extra and I changed my seat from 24B to seat 1C. My wife remained in 24C (she is a small lady and the jammed rear seats were okay for her).

On departure day the gate lady said in broken English "oh your wife is not sitting with you, would like her to sit with you?..I said sure but will it cost me more to have her sit with me ? She said "no extra charge" and moved us to 4D and 4E. I thought how nice an upgrade for my wife at no addtl charge.

However when we boarded the flt 756 we found that 4D and 4E were NOT upgraded seats that only row one was upgraded seats. So I approached the lead flight attendant and told him that my upgraded seat had been changed at the gate and I paid the extra money for NOTHING. He said we are 2 1/2 hours late on our departure (flight 756 left at 2:40pm not at 12:30 due to the door being damaged) and he said you must talk with my manager..he pointed to a lady who walked on plane with a walkie talkie, but she said "sir I am busy with the flight delay, I will try to help you later." Well as the flight departed the lead flight attendant motioned to a black male and white female to the rear of the plane and allowed them to sit in 1C and 1D.

I approached this attendant again once we were in the air and told him what is going on that I had paid for that 1C seat and he gave it to the black male. He said very rudely he doesn’t have anything to do with seating and that it was" tuff" for me I shouldn't have switched seats! I said the gate lady did it, why would I pay $60.00 or $50.00 dollars more for the seat and then give it up to sit in standard seat? He again said that is your problem take it up with Spirit when we land, again very rudely.

I asked for his name and he "refused" to give it to me..his name badge was covered by his smock..he said "we do not have to give out their names!" (I missed his name when he had initially said the crews name at departure) but he refused to repeat it to me. The other crew members also refused to give me his name. ( I saw him speaking to them as he pointed at me).

So I got out my camera and during the flight I took his photo..he walked over to me and said very nastily "you are not allowed to take photos in this plane!" I then hid my camera as I though he was going to take it from me and I said nothing back to him, I was afraid he would hurt me. ( I am a 63 year old disabled American War vet and I was afraid he would start a fight with me).

The lady passenger in seat 2A witnessed and heard most of what he did and said to me, she told me to contact Spirit and they could contact her upon her return from New York and she would back up what I have told you. She was a 10 year veteran airline stewardess and never heard of any regulation that a passenger can't take photos in the plane and she also saw this lead attendant give the row 1 (one) seats to that black male and white female in spite of me infor4ming him that I had paid for the seat. I had the flight documents that showed the seat upgrade and still have all documents.

I have the photo of this lead attendant who was identified by your ticket personnel at Tampa airport that his name was Rodney? He is a black male, bold headed, clean shaven, slim build and maybe 5'7". Your Spirit staff at Tampa airport listened to the entire issue , looked over my documents, confirmed on their computer and were wonderful in their understanding and issued me the credit (which still has NOT hit my credit card yet!! after 5 days) for the 1C seat upgrade with an apology and polite attitude. They also confirmed that he should have given me his first name, that the other attendants should have as well and that there is NO regulation about me taking photos on the plane.

They were most helpful and treated me with respect and dignity not with rudeness, intimidation and poor customer service like Rodney did. His photo is attached.

I am totally upset with Spirit airlines and the fear and intimidation I received by one of your employees, he could have handled it with grace and professionalism but I believe he was upset that I caught him giving up the two seats in row l one to a friend of his.

I am sure you will do nothing about this incident, but I had to air out my frustration and fear to Spirit Airlines.

It is also a shame that you don't provide any phone numbers for Spirit at the Tampa Airport, I lost my drivers license at the Spirit counter at 9:30 PM on August 4th while I was talking to your staff about the complaint and I also needed a break down explanation on some of the charges to my credit card. Your broken English speaking Spirit rep, at your 1 800 number spoke with me 4 times for about 10 seconds each time then excused himself on 3 occasions to get advice from his supervisor (he placed me on hold). He also refused to provide me with a contact number at Tampa Airport for the Spirit ticket counter or any contact number. I stayed on the phone for more than 1 hour (one hour) and after the 3rd time he put me on hold he never returned to the phone. Spirit Airlines has the worst customer service I have ever experienced with an airlines.

PS..we were told to arrive at San Jose Airport 3 hours prior to departure, which we did but, the Spirit employees arrived 2 hours prior to departure, so we had to wait at the counter for one hour untill they arrived.

The other numerous complaints we have read (after the fact) we also agree with, dirty plane, excessive baggage fees, rude employees, poor checkin procedures etc..but we were aware of most of them so that is our problem.

We have yet to receive the $60.00 credit so that was probably a scam as well?

We will never fly this airlines again.. they provide no protection or service for cancelled flights, long delayed flights or any passenger service at all..these perks deserve merit and recognition and are worth paying other airlines a few dollars more to be trreated like valued patrons and not excessive baggage.

Last edited by james1; Aug 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM.

Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:28 PM

Join Date: Aug 2011

Finally received $60.00 seat over chaarge credit. At least the staff at Tampa Airport is trying to change the horrible image of Spirit Airlines. Thanks to Tampa staff..sorry you work for such a vile company.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:48 PM

Join Date: Aug 2011

Nine(9) days and no response from the two(2) emails I sent to Spirit Airlines customer service..Not surprising their customer servie is in India or Pakistan and they have been trained not to respond to any complaints by customers, lest they might NOT have a "script" to follow and might say something truthful by mistake, and this would violate the spirit of Spirit Airlines..(which is to never tell a customer the TRUTH about anything or else it may become a habit and ALL employees would have to be re-trained. Then luggage could only weigh 30 lbs instead of 40lbs (already 10 lbs less than any decent other airline). This added cost would absorb any truth retraining expense incurred by Spirit.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:05 PM

Join Date: Aug 2011

after 15 days Spirit Airlines responded and said will look into complaint, but is a confidentaial review and I will not be advsied of any outcome? Do you think it means nothing?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:22 PM

Join Date: Sep 2011

I thank you for your service to our country.

Obviously the Spirit agents tried to seat you with your wife, which is great customer service. At that point, did you mention that you had a reserved seat and paid more? I bet you thought you were getting a free upgrade.

You have to understand that Spirit was designed with efficiency and low cost in mind. If you want a big seat, pay for it and don't change seats! The misunderstanding could have been avoided, maybe, but it doesn't look like your solution worked very well, did it?

They refunded you the extra cost after you requested it, didn't they?

So what's the real problem?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:27 PM

Join Date: Aug 2011

First off, you didn't read my entire complaint, if you did then you would realize most of your reply to me was poor indeed. Your defense of Spirit shows you have no sense of decency and are very biased as you seem to reply to everyone who has an issue in defence of Spirit. Either you are on their payroll or you delight in controversy.

Courtesy, fairness, honesty and customer service should be benchmarks and dignities for ALL who service the public and make money off the public.You apparnetly have very low standards, too bad. I am sure your personality is at a "discount" and we should not expect anything more than sub-standard, dishonest, mis-leading, bullying, lieing and arrogance from you.

I rather thought how useless to even respond to your mis-guided interpretation of my issue with Spirit. Yes they did after much effort, time and aggravation refund the theft of my money, but potentail customers have a right to know what to expect from this so called "discount" carrier. Knowledge makes us wiser about our choices and reduces the number of "surprises" we as customers and people may experience.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:55 PM

Originally Posted by james1 View Post

Excellent reply! I just love how you take issue with the person, not with the issue! You're best shot is to claim that I'm getting paid by them? Nice!

You're just proving me right. Thanks!

And no, I'm not an employee of Spirit or even related to them. I am a seasoned traveler who knows how the system works. Do you think Spirit would pay anyone to do this? They are CHEAP!

The way it works is that the CUSTOMER must keep track of what happens as it happens. If you were offered a change, it's you're responsibility to make sure that change doesn't inconvenience you.

You, the customer, are receiving the benefit of travel and you, the customer, are responsible for making sure any change is done to your specifications. At no time did you ask if that was also a "big" seat nor did you try to find out.

If you go to the mechanic, YOU have to tell them what to fix. YOU have to tell the doctor what to do.

When you were in the military, do you remember the chain of command? You do what you are told and assume nothing.

There are many airlines out there, and thanks to competition a cheap airline exists. YOU have a choice. Thanks for not flying Spirit! More seats for me!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:34 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

adamr, if you're an employee of Spirit, you should say so.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gromit801 View Post
adamr, if you're an employee of Spirit, you should say so.
That's the problem! People think that the only ones who have problems with "whiners" are the employees.

If all of the detractors say the employees are unhappy, how could I be an employee???

The answer is no, I am not an employee and I'm not getting paid by them. I am an experienced traveler that knows the difference between a whiner and an actual complaint.

Delta has more complaints than Spirit exponentially. Some of this is due to the volume of their flights, but most of it is because they are so big it's hard to keep everyone happy all the time.

The bottom line is that every airline has flight cancellations, miscommunications, and human beings that work for them that are allowed to have a bad day. Treat people like you want to be treated, don't answer grumpiness with anger, and try to understand and forgive mistakes.

Spirit is trying to provide low cost travel services to people who would not be able to go visit grandma or a cousin or a dear friend due to lack of funds. They're not perfect and they make mistakes like everyone else.

If you have a legitimate complaint about the airline, post it. Nothing here so far has been even close to legitimate. All I see are people who try to bad mouth a company when they make the same mistakes every other airline makes.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Delta Air Complaint Overcharge overbooked flight blt1261 Delta Air Lines Complaints 19 May 10, 2009 2:47 PM
THREATS FROM PHXFlyer Butch Cassidy Slept Here General Discussion 4 Feb 20, 2009 1:32 PM
Customer Service Threats and abuse from attendants, minimal apology CJohnson American Airlines Complaints 9 Feb 10, 2009 5:59 PM
Customer Service agent slander , threats, and abuse tgm10 Air Canada Complaints 3 Jan 4, 2009 1:49 AM
Customer Service AA Employees Given Paying Passenger Seats oklalibralady American Airlines Complaints 1 Jun 17, 2008 7:08 PM