Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:33 PM

Default overcharging

Since Northwest and Delta have combined they have almost doubled their ticket prices out of smaller airports where there is virtually no choice as to a major carrier. They could care less about their customers now too. I suggest if you have any options avoid this airline or (unfortunately go to a bigger airport where they are forced to ticket fairly because of competition.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:13 PM

That my friend was the point of the merger. It was to create local monopolies, eliminate competetion and gouge the customer. Delta couldn't get to where they are any other way. Imagine if they had to compete, they would be bankrupt in no time. (Oh that's right, they have been bankrupt, but Uncle Sam rescues them!!O)
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:01 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Negative Jim.......people like me rescued them by giving back years of hard fought for benefits. Massive pay cuts, vacation time, pension, holidays, insurance and too many more things to mention. The only thing the feds gave them was the laws of bankruptcy. They never received monetary help other than directly from their hard working employees, which they shafted. I know, believe me. You're speaking to a shaftee.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:56 AM
Banned

Where is your "home" airport, Bluebird9? There are several where DL and NW may have been the "only game in town" and now that they are no longer competing can probably charge whatever the market will bear, however airlines which serve certain smaller airports which are designated to provide Essential Air Service by the DOT are subsidized to keep fares affordable.

Quote:
The Airline Deregulation Act, passed in 1978, gave airlines almost total freedom to determine which markets to serve domestically and what fares to charge for that service. The Essential Air Service (EAS) program was put into place to guarantee that small communities that were served by certificated air carriers before deregulation maintain a minimal level of scheduled air service. The Department currently subsidizes commuter airlines to serve approximately 140 rural communities across the country that otherwise would not receive any scheduled air service. For more information contact the EAS and Domestic Analysis Division at (202) 366-5903.
If the airport you fly from is not subsidized for EAS it is probably because there is a larger airport within a reasonable driving distance. If this is so you need to makea choice between convenience and price.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:01 AM

You have to be joking PHX. If you think it is only where airlines are the "only game in town" that the abuse of monopoly exists you are naive... and I don't think you are naive! There is fig leaf competition, such as Delta controlling the best slots and times at Atlanta, but hiding behind the fig leaf of some small, marginal competition on a route served by AirTran or something. These massive hubs are anti-competitive and the the pricing of airline tickets is not market driven, it is driven by the power of their monopoly.

Judge: We agree. By allowing the management of these massive airlines to suck vast sums of money out of the business in the form of "bonuses, incentives, stock options and ridiculous unearned pensions", whilst driving the business into bankruptcy and screwing the staff, passengers and suppliers the government is protecting corrupt monopolists. Uncle Sam protects them by allowing them to do this, whilst passing protectionist laws, such as their exemption from normal consumer protection laws and their protection from competition.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:22 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Interesting read Phxflyer. It seems much of that information is subject to comprehension. I wonder how much is given to subsidize to maintain a minimal level of air service and what is considered minimal? I am sure every market has a different answer...but it still makes me wonder who really is behind that. Although I agree the laws were put there for a good reason, I know first hand of the lobbying interest airlines have invested in.

Bluebird9, if the ticket prices have doubled, do you know if the scheduled flights are still running at 80% or so capacity? Are their still passengers flying in and out of that location? If so, then you may have been quoted a fare close to a full fare or one of the last available fare quotes. Still, it is remarkable, that an airline, just like most other large companies, will do anything to gouge customers and use Uncle Sam as a shield.

More options...