COMPLAINT: Incorrect information regarding the refund for cancellation of ticket

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:43 PM
Monique Monique is offline

Join Date: Feb 2013

In december 2012 I inquired the Lufthansa service desk about the cost of canceling my flight (round trip) from San Josť Costa Rica to Amsterdam. The person I spoke to said to me that I if would cancel the flight it will cost me EUR 100 fine and that the rest would be refunded to my creditcard. I paid EUR 826,43 for the ticket. It should take about 4-6 weeks untill the money would be refunded to my creditcard. After 6 weeks I called the servicedesk again and they said that I was given incorrect information and that I was only entitled to a refund of EUR 116,43!. The person I spoke to this time said she was sorry that i was given wrong information and advised me to write a letter of complaint which I did and I demanded a full refund for the ticket. I also mentioned that if I had know that a refund wasn't possible in the first place, if I had known this, or wouldn't have been misled, I wouldn't have cancelled the flight.

They answered me the following:
"Dear Mrs De Jongh,

We would like to thank you for your online comment dated 16 January 2013 and for your patience whilst awaiting our response.

We were sorry to hear of the difficulties you encountered whilst trying to get a refund of your ticket.

We ask you to accept our apologies that you were given incorrect information regarding the refund. In addition we would like to assure you that it was not our intention to give you misleading information. Nevertheless such an error should clearly not occur and you should be able to rely on the information you request from our employees. Your experiences endorse our constant efforts to optimise the flow of any new information to our call centres.

As you have been advised as the ticket purchased was non-refundable according to the fare rules you are entitled to a refund of the taxes. With regard to the refund of ticket 220-2324338491, we would like to inform you that a refund has been made into the original form of payment for the amount of EUR 116.43 on 3 December 2012.

You can rest assured that we take your criticism very seriously. We appreciate all comments from our passengers, whether positive or negative. As a result we passed your feedback directly on to the quality manager of the service centre to follow up on the matter. Our services should focus first and foremost on our customersí needs, so we are very grateful for your feedback. We would like to thank you cordially once again for your remarks on this matter.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond regarding this matter. We again offer our sincerest apologies due to this technical matter and we thank you once again for your patience and understanding.

Yours sincerely,

Katerina Merkouri

Lufthansa German Airlines

Customer Feedback"

I cannot accept their answer. I demanded a full refund for misinformation that was given. My problems therefore, are from a direct result leading from an error from your side and I do demand a full refund.

Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:13 PM

This reply is interesting. It does not deny you were given wrong information. Ordinarily, I would say that you are no better or worse off than if you had been given the correct information, so you would therefore not be entitled to compensation.

However, you state specifically that had you known the true situation you would have travelled. The question then becomes, was it reasonable for you to rely on the information given to you in making your decision, and are Lufthansa liable for the actions of their employees.

If you can demonstrate that you would have travelled anyway (for example, you may have travelled at a different day, which you can prove), I think you would have a reasonable chance of winning a Small Claims Court claim, depending on your jurisdiction.

To prevail, I think you should argue that:

1. THE Terms and Conditions are very long and that the airline has a duty to ensure that their customers understand them.

2. It was reasonable for you to seek guidance from the airline on the refund policies that applied to your ticket.

3. That you were materially disadvantaged in acting on the advice as you would not have cancelled your journey.

4. Your claim should be for €610, which is the original cost of €826.43 minus the €100 penalty that you accepted, minus the €116.43 you have already been refunded. Do not inflate your claim above this.

Good luck...

cancellation, costumer service, lufthansa, misinformation, refund ticket

Reservations Ticket refund for reserved seats not available Symbow British Airways Complaints 2 Feb 2, 2013 9:46 AM
Avianca - fully refundable ticket but no refund Lachlan Other Airline Complaints 4 Jun 25, 2012 10:51 PM
Customer Service no refund after cancellation with technical failure pabu British Airways Complaints 6 Aug 14, 2011 10:58 PM
Air India. They will not reply to you if they have to refund your e-ticket. debair Air India Complaints 0 Jul 23, 2011 7:20 PM