#1  
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:44 PM
kwcjoy100 kwcjoy100 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Default Worst experience

This is my complian.

We (My wife and I) are writing you to let you know about an unpleasant experience we had with Delta airline just 2 month ago. We had originally booked a flight from HSV to ICN Korea connecting through Atlanta on 12/24/08 flight DL5375 and DL7850. I chose your company because you were a reliable company to get a nonstop flight from Atlanta to Korea. However, there was a problem at the beginning of the day.
After I arrived at the HSV airport on the 24th of Dec at 5:30 am to issue my ticket, I learned that the flight for which I had a reservation was canceled (DL5375) due to mechanical problems. I was slightly irritated about this situation, but I was not worried about it, because I thought that you would be able to get me on another flight that would get me to Atlanta in time to make my connecting flight (DL7850) at 11:55 am.
Unfortunately, one of your employees didnít accept our reservation, and she (Black big women) told us, we didnít have seats to go to Atlanta on the next flight. She told us that the next available flight would not be until the 26th . It was terrible, if that was the best option I had, it would cost me two days of my vacation.
Imagine two days delay in your schedule during the Christmas season.
I protested and I didnít accept their suggestion. However, she canceled our itinerary (Atlanta to ICN flight as well) and re-booked the new literary on the 26th of Dec without regard to our wishes. I didnít agree with her canceling my whole schedule and re-booking the new literary. However, she did it at her discretion and received the next people in line. I requested to speak with a supervisor, but his suggestion was for us to drive to Atlanta because Delta didnít have anymore seats that day. At that time, we felt insulted as everyone looked at us and felt as if we were victims of racial discrimination. The staff continued to ignore us and looked at us repeatedly with a look of annoyance. It was not my fault. You never informed us in advance. How could this be possible? I again protested about this but I received no further reply, and nobody checked on us for a while. We were still waiting to get seats on our next flight. Finally, the supervisor made reservations for us on the next flight to Atlanta. The fact that these seats were available after we were just told to drive to Atlanta was puzzling, but I was happy that I would be able to make my original connection. However, I was told that there was only one seat on the flight from Atlanta since the agent had cancelled our original itinerary against our wishes. Our original seat had been given to another passenger due to overbooking. After not visiting our country in two years, we did not want to travel separately. The option that we ended up taking was connecting in San Francisco with a one night layover. However, I was still extremely angry since we had paid for a direct flight. Due to the fact that I wanted to get out of Huntsville as soon as possible we felt forced to accept this option. The rude conduct and the way we were handled will make me hesitant to patronize your airline in the future. One thing that continues to be especially bothersome is that if the agent had not cancelled our original itinerary, we could have kept our original flight out of Atlanta. Perhaps if she had spent less time ignoring us and being rude, and more time helping us and respecting our wishes, she could have avoided that vital mistake. The lack of service and professionalism I received from your company really messed up plans that I had for quite some time. I am wondering how I will be compensated for my time and mental distress. I had to pay a fee for postponing a doctorís appointment, we had to break plans that we had made with our family, and rearrange all of the other plans that we had for our trip. The only compensation that I received from the airline was meal vouchers and a hotel room in San Francisco (which I donít really consider compensation since we shouldnít have been there in the first place). I have flown many times, but this was the first time that I have received such a low quality service and treatment
  #2  
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:29 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcjoy100 View Post
This is my complian.

We (My wife and I) are writing you to let you know about an unpleasant experience we had with Delta airline just 2 month ago. We had originally booked a flight from HSV to ICN Korea connecting through Atlanta on 12/24/08 flight DL5375 and DL7850. I chose your company because you were a reliable company to get a nonstop flight from Atlanta to Korea. However, there was a problem at the beginning of the day.
After I arrived at the HSV airport on the 24th of Dec at 5:30 am to issue my ticket, I learned that the flight for which I had a reservation was canceled (DL5375) due to mechanical problems. I was slightly irritated about this situation, but I was not worried about it, because I thought that you would be able to get me on another flight that would get me to Atlanta in time to make my connecting flight (DL7850) at 11:55 am.
Unfortunately, one of your employees didnít accept our reservation, and she (Black big women) told us, we didnít have seats to go to Atlanta on the next flight. She told us that the next available flight would not be until the 26th . It was terrible, if that was the best option I had, it would cost me two days of my vacation.
Imagine two days delay in your schedule during the Christmas season.
I protested and I didnít accept their suggestion. However, she canceled our itinerary (Atlanta to ICN flight as well) and re-booked the new literary on the 26th of Dec without regard to our wishes. I didnít agree with her canceling my whole schedule and re-booking the new literary. However, she did it at her discretion and received the next people in line. I requested to speak with a supervisor, but his suggestion was for us to drive to Atlanta because Delta didnít have anymore seats that day. At that time, we felt insulted as everyone looked at us and felt as if we were victims of racial discrimination. The staff continued to ignore us and looked at us repeatedly with a look of annoyance. It was not my fault. You never informed us in advance. How could this be possible? I again protested about this but I received no further reply, and nobody checked on us for a while. We were still waiting to get seats on our next flight. Finally, the supervisor made reservations for us on the next flight to Atlanta. The fact that these seats were available after we were just told to drive to Atlanta was puzzling, but I was happy that I would be able to make my original connection. However, I was told that there was only one seat on the flight from Atlanta since the agent had cancelled our original itinerary against our wishes. Our original seat had been given to another passenger due to overbooking. After not visiting our country in two years, we did not want to travel separately. The option that we ended up taking was connecting in San Francisco with a one night layover. However, I was still extremely angry since we had paid for a direct flight. Due to the fact that I wanted to get out of Huntsville as soon as possible we felt forced to accept this option. The rude conduct and the way we were handled will make me hesitant to patronize your airline in the future. One thing that continues to be especially bothersome is that if the agent had not cancelled our original itinerary, we could have kept our original flight out of Atlanta. Perhaps if she had spent less time ignoring us and being rude, and more time helping us and respecting our wishes, she could have avoided that vital mistake. The lack of service and professionalism I received from your company really messed up plans that I had for quite some time. I am wondering how I will be compensated for my time and mental distress. I had to pay a fee for postponing a doctorís appointment, we had to break plans that we had made with our family, and rearrange all of the other plans that we had for our trip. The only compensation that I received from the airline was meal vouchers and a hotel room in San Francisco (which I donít really consider compensation since we shouldnít have been there in the first place). I have flown many times, but this was the first time that I have received such a low quality service and treatment
Next! Anyone?
  #3  
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:39 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Posts: 577
Default The red flag in front of the bull

At that time, we felt insulted as everyone looked at us and felt as if we were victims of racial discrimination.

To me, and I'm certain most people who do NOT work for an airline, your post made it clear race was NOT the reason you wrote Delta. Unfortunately, it's possible any response you get from Delta will talk about this sentence--and nothing else. As you well know, US-based airlines continue to discriminate against anyone who appears to be of Middle Eastern or South Asian origin. As such, even if the sentence is "buried" in unrelated material airline people will spot that like a hawk and become hyper-defensive.

Your story has made me think. The same thing could have happened to me. I really don't give as much thought, as perhaps I should, to the possibility of mechanical issues. Also, this is a clear demonstration of how one staff member who is either indifferent, poorly trained, or has an attitude, can start a domino effect of misery. I guess the lesson from this story is you should have scheduled an overnight stay in Atlanta in your original booking. Again, in the absence of your story, "overnighting" at a stop only an hour's flight from my point of origin would not occur to me. On the other hand, if one is headed home (returning FROM a trip) "living dangerously" (in terms of connecting flights) is probably more of an option for those who were smart enough not to have to be back to work the next day.
__________________
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]

Last edited by Butch Cassidy Slept Here; Feb 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM.
  #4  
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:44 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,366
Default

I'll just add this...

From MapQuest.com:



Huntsville International Airport (HSV)
1000 Glenn Hearn Blvd SW
Huntsville, AL 35824

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
6000 N Terminal Pkwy # 435
Atlanta, GA 30320

Total Estimated Time: 3 hours 50 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 239.14 miles
  #5  
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcjoy100 View Post
(Black big women)
I have to wonder why the above quote was so important in her complaint. Sounds like race was a bit involved, huh?
  #6  
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:19 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Posts: 577
Default At what point IS there a complaint??

OK, if it were me, I would have used the description of: "heavy-set black woman."

Regardless, this woman, effectively, destroyed a portion of this man's visit (probably with family members) as well as air reservations. The connecting flight, in Atlanta, was Korean Air (Delta code share) non-stop to Seoul. Because of this woman, this man wound-up having to overnight en route. Yes, big deal, Delta paid for the overnight costs! I would say there was a very legitimate reason for identifying this woman. Non-airline businesses would probably take some action. On the other hand, Delta will probably give her a raise!
__________________
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
  #7  
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:12 AM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy Slept Here View Post
I would say there was a very legitimate reason for identifying this woman.
I will respectfully disagree.
  #8  
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:44 AM
jimworcs jimworcs is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 3,197
Default

Ok, well before we all go off on one, relating to the minutiae of whether this was a racially motivated incident or not, lets just get one thing straight. Yet again, we have Delta treating passengers like crap following their own technical problems. These problems are within their control and the passenger was innocent. Not late, plenty of time for the transfer and instead of attempting to mitigate the consequences for their customer, Delta did what Delta does and made it worse. The customer was upset, angry and frustrated and may well have mis-interpreted standard Delta employee hostility as racially motivated. What difference does it make to the substantive complaint?

There is a long history of racial tensions between the African American community and the Asian and particularly Korean community. Who knows who is right in this instance, or if there was any element in it at all? What we do know, is that Delta once again left a traveller at their mercy and treated their customer with total dis-respect. There was no justification at all for this employee to cancel this passengers onward booking.

Passenger books flights, pays and turns up at airport in good time. Airline cancels flights due to mechanical problems (not events outside their control), and then suggests the passenger might want to drive!! Passenger persists, treated poorly in the process and then is given seats to Atlanta afterall, but by then, his onward travel is cancelled. What could he have done?

Clearly one option was too package himself up and send the package via FedEx. This is what a prudent traveller would have done. He could use a straw to have breathing holes and pack sandwiches.

Alternatively, he could have driven, perhaps Huntsville to Charleston, SC then smuggle the car into a container ship bound for Korea. PHX would be happy to give him a link to the route on google earth, I am sure.

If he was really trying to be careful, perhaps he should have anticipated a delay and booked to travel to Atlanta in September to give a bit more time for the transfer. I hear that Hartsfield is a great airport to live in for a few months on the off chance that Delta got someone to their destination on time.

Really, in the confusion he probably thought that he was being singled out for such bad treatment. Perhaps he is not a frequent traveller so doesn't realise that in fact, Delta is an equal opportunity abuser. All passengers, regardless of race, religion or sexuality is treated equally badly. I suggest they put that on their website with pride. Until one day, our prayers are answered and they go belly up and don't go running to the government and courts to protect them from their obligations.
  #9  
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:55 AM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas
Posts: 258
Default

Let's see...Atlanta is among the top airports with delays. Which airline is based there? Oh yes....it starts with a "D".
  #10  
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:53 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,366
Default

Jim. The reason I posted the driving time from HSV to ATL was this:

1. It was Christmas Eve. There may very well have been no seats out of a secondary airport such as Huntsville, AL until the 26th. Also, availability changes frequently. The seats to ATL that were available later just might have been from a passenger cancellation which happened after the initial discussion. Or perhaps the supervisor just forced an overbooking to get these people on their way.

2. The flight the OP was on from HSV to ATL was a scheduled departure of 6:20 AM. I'm assuming this whole discussion took place at least an hour prior. Their flight from ATL to ICN was scheduled to depart at 11:55 AM. That gave them at least 6 1/2 hours to make it to ATL. With a drive time of about 5 hours they would still be at ATL with 2 1/2 hours to check in etc. If it were me I would have had the HSV agent note the reservation that the flight was a mechanical cancellation, rented a car one-way from HSV to ATL, and sorted out Delta paying for said rental after my trip was completed.

3. Huntsvile is also driving distance from Memphis - a Northwest Airlines hub. Since DL purchased NW in October they could have been easily accomodated on NW flights out of MEM if that was an option.

Yes the Atlantic Southeast employee representing Delta could have done a better job, but how many international travelers do you think she deals with on a daily basis?
  #11  
Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:37 PM
kwcjoy100 kwcjoy100 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Default Think about Time Zone and check in time

It's not to easy.
Don't you think about time zone. International traveler have to check in before one hour with their big baggage.

Basically, why should I have to drive?
  #12  
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:54 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcjoy100 View Post
It's not to easy.
Don't you think about time zone. International traveler have to check in before one hour with their big baggage.

Basically, why should I have to drive?
I never said you had to drive, only that it was a viable option at the time. Because of your canceled flight, due to mechanical reasons, and no availability for two days Delta would certainly have paid for a car rental plus gas and probably a meal allowance on the way. Even if you did miss the Korean Air flight, you would still be in Atlanta which is one of the largest international airports in the world and not Huntsville, AL. I'm sure they don't see many KE 747s landing @HSV! Delta could have sent you from ATL to JFK in time for the late-night non-stop on KE to ICN.

Last edited by PHXFlyer; Feb 18, 2009 at 8:57 PM.
  #13  
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:06 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Posts: 577
Default Airline ďroad blocksĒ

When traveling on most US-based airlines one must realize that problems, usually, can NOT be resolved. It is up to the customer to figure-out ways to work-around those problems. If you (KWCJOY) walked into the Huntsville terminal today you would most likely see that same woman, who caused you a lot of trouble, STILL working behind the “Delta Connection” counter. US-based airline employees simply do not face the same consequences, for bad behavior toward customers, that employees of other businesses face. Thus that woman needs to be factored-in when planning a trip originating at Huntsville. Do the other airlines serving Huntsville have their own staff? If “yes,” then Continental Express, through Houston, becomes an option. Is there just one group of people, including that woman, doing check-in for ALL airlines? Then one’s trip should consist of two reservations/tickets. One ticket between Huntsville and the other airport (Atlanta or Houston.) Another ticket, from the connecting airport, to your final destination. Obviously, in this example, you’ll pay more money and will need more time at the connecting airport—to claim your baggage, and check-in again for the next flight. Such an arrangement may even require an overnight stay. Still, the “damage” an ill-trained, or ill-mannered, staff member can do is limited. The extra expense, and trouble, results in your arriving at your destination on the planned day and time. As to the driving option: You are right—the time zone change, effectively, adds one hour to the driving time (traveling from west to east.) Thus you probably did not have enough time to catch an international flight, from Atlanta, which departed around noon.
__________________
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
  #14  
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:20 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Posts: 577
Default From fantasy land

Delta could have sent you from ATL to JFK in time for the late-night non-stop on KE to ICN.

OK, so why didn't the counter staff, at HSV, do an alternate booking so this could happen?? It's already been established that they DID connect through Atlanta, but onto San Francisco.

In the real world, the only way something like that would happen is if this man was a Business or First Class customer. I assume he was not.

Finally, the fact that JFK is, technically, east of Atlanta may be a prohibited routing in an Atlanta - Seoul itinerary. However I'm not sure as to this last point.
__________________
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
  #15  
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:37 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy Slept Here View Post
Delta could have sent you from ATL to JFK in time for the late-night non-stop on KE to ICN.

OK, so why didn't the counter staff, at HSV, do an alternate booking so this could happen?? It's already been established that they DID connect through Atlanta, but onto San Francisco.

In the real world, the only way something like that would happen is if this man was a Business or First Class customer. I assume he was not.

Finally, the fact that JFK is, technically, east of Atlanta may be a prohibited routing in an Atlanta - Seoul itinerary. However I'm not sure as to this last point.
Exactly my argument for driving to ATL. The outstation agents at HSV were obviously ill-trained to provide the service the OP needed. As for the routing, it wouldn't have mattered since it is an international itinerary and any gateway city would have sufficed. Even if there were a routing restriction on the fare it would have been trumped by the IRROPS of the canceled flight.
  #16  
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:28 AM
azstar azstar is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 375
Default

Delta would certainly have paid for a car rental plus gas and probably a meal allowance on the way.

This is definitely not true. Airlines do not compensate for alternate means of transportation, unless you can get their customer relations department to do it, after the fact. And, it's highly unlikely that they will reimburse you. Most contracts of carriage state that due to a cancellation or delay, they are responsible only for a refund of your fare, or transportation on a later available flight or alternate carriers flight.
  #17  
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:06 PM
jimworcs jimworcs is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shropshire, England
Posts: 3,197
Default

I am not fan of Delta, but what the heck is that all about?
  #18  
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:09 PM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
I am not fan of Delta, but what the heck is that all about?
Or better yet...what the heck are you smokin?
  #19  
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:57 PM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NY NY
Posts: 510
Default

WOW!!!! That made absolutely no sense whatsoever!
  #20  
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:19 PM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas
Posts: 258
Default

This nutcase has posted the same message three times, I think. Anyway, he/she appears to be on some wacky stuff. Hopefully the Administrator will disappear this jerk from this forum.
  #21  
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:23 AM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas
Posts: 258
Default

ZAP....you're gone.
Reply

More options...
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Complaint Complaint Author Forum Replies Last Post
In-flight Issue Air France - worst experience ever NiranjanRajaghatta Air France Complaints 11 May 23, 2009 10:56 AM
Reservations The worst airline experience ever - Flight sage1028 Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Oct 2, 2008 6:33 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Worst Experience posible liva Delta Air Lines Complaints 3 Feb 11, 2008 12:36 AM
Malaysia Airlines: WORST experience! mochachocolate Other Airline Complaints 4 Jan 21, 2008 2:18 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Worst airport experience of my life Beverly Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Apr 10, 2007 1:21 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:56 AM.

 

About Us

We are the oldest and largest Airline Complaints organization in the world. We have been making your airline complaints matter since 2006. Learn more.

 

Advertising

Advertise with us to reach a highly-targeted audience of airline passengers.

Copyright © 2020